Preacher VOL 02: Until the End of the World…

Preacher VOL 02: Until the End of the World (Preacher (DC Comics)) (edition 1997)

by Garth Ennis, Steve Dillon (Illustrator)

Member:heydor
Title:Preacher VOL 02: Until the End of the World (Preacher (DC Comics))
Authors:Garth Ennis
Other authors:Steve Dillon (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (1997), Edition: Cmc, Paperback, 264 pages
Collections:Read in 2014

Preacher Vol. 2: Until the End of the World by Garth Ennis

I'd heard great things about this series, but this will be as far as I go with it. I was underwhelmed with the first volume and this second volume, whilst better, didn't do enough to grab me. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
I love this messed-up take on the Grail bloodline foofraw! Especially the family. Ridiculawesome. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
So what do you get if you lock Quentin Tarantino in an editing room with film spools from the Exorcist, Caligula, the Divinci Code and Deliverance - you guessed it - Preacher Volume 2. Sacrilegious, violent, depraved, and philosophical are a couple of words that describe it. But really if you're reading Volume 2, you don't really need a warning label.

The funny thing is through all that, one of the things that disturbs me the most is that all 3 main characters are chain smokers and they smoke everywhere. Sorry smokers, but it's just so nasty to think of people smoking inside a room or smoking and then kissing. I'm definitely old enough to remember when it was common, but I hated it back then too.

Anyway, rants aside, this is not totally my kind of thing, but I respect it for its originality and the author's willingness to follow the story wherever it takes him (and us). The dialogue is pretty hilarious and occasionally philosophically witty. It kinda strange that he somehow managed to fit a love story into the whole thing as well.

One thing I didn't like was Starr seemed like a complete badass at first but then turned out to be this kind of bumbling weak character. The alley scene just didn't make any sense to me. ( )
  ragwaine | Dec 26, 2015 |
Mixed feelings about the subject mater. It's good though, if maybe a tad redundant to other vertigo titles I read. I will definitely be reading and researching more though. So far I'm really enjoying the contrast of the dark evil violence and the sweetness of Jesse and Tulip. ( )
  swampygirl | Aug 23, 2014 |
In Until The End of the World, we learn a great deal more about the past of both Jesse and Tulip. Both are placed in a position where escape seems unlikely, therefore, what better time to unburden their past to one another? Ennis also gives a little more of an explanation to why Jesse is so desired by a secret religious organization and Cassidy jumps back into the story, playing a bigger role this time around.

Until The End of the World is a spectacular follow up to what we're presented with the first time around. I can easily say that this is every bit as good as it's predecessor, if not more. It's paced well and the violence and profanity is just as entertaining as before. I am patiently awaiting the return of ARSEFACE.

I'm seriously hooked on this series. I haven't really found anything to be overly negative on, which is a plus. Hopefully it doesn't peak early, I have a hard time believing that anyone is capable of maintaining a streak of greatness for this long without a bit of a dip. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |

Garth Ennisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dillon, SteveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
1974:

Know who this is, Little Jesse?
Information from the All Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Reverend Jesse Custer, an old Texas minister who is joined with a spiritual entity called Genesis and wields the Word of God, revisits terrors of his childhood on his way to find God.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,326,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible