Preacher: Until the End of the World…

Preacher: Until the End of the World (Preacher) (edition 1997)

by Garth Ennis

Member:othersam
Title:Preacher: Until the End of the World (Preacher)
Authors:Garth Ennis
Info:Titan Books Ltd (1997), Paperback
Rating:*****

Preacher Vol. 2: Until the End of the World by Garth Ennis

I enjoyed book two much more than book one because now I understand the story more fully.

I love the strong characters of Jesse Custer (the preacher), Tulip (Custer's girlfriend), and Cassidy (the Irish vampire). If you think that's a strange cast of characters, wait until you meet the others. In this book, I think the creepiest were Gran'ma (you have to grab this book to see what she looks like!) and Jesus de Sade. They are not only disgusting characters, but they are drawn to look as bad as they are. Wonderful artwork by Steve Dillon, including some individual covers by Glenn Fabry. Check it out.

A truly fun part of this series is the occasional laugh-out-loud one-liners that provide comic relief to an otherwise intensive dark story. Love it!

Moving on to book three of this series... ( )
  SqueakyChu | Nov 9, 2018 |
Preacher can do no wrong. Seriously. It's the Tarantino of comic books, when that was still a compliment to pay. Preacher can imitate nothing but itself, and it is not even close to running the risk of being overly cliché.

I can't get enough of these things. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
I'd heard great things about this series, but this will be as far as I go with it. I was underwhelmed with the first volume and this second volume, whilst better, didn't do enough to grab me. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
I love this messed-up take on the Grail bloodline foofraw! Especially the family. Ridiculawesome. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
So what do you get if you lock Quentin Tarantino in an editing room with film spools from the Exorcist, Caligula, the Divinci Code and Deliverance - you guessed it - Preacher Volume 2. Sacrilegious, violent, depraved, and philosophical are a couple of words that describe it. But really if you're reading Volume 2, you don't really need a warning label.

The funny thing is through all that, one of the things that disturbs me the most is that all 3 main characters are chain smokers and they smoke everywhere. Sorry smokers, but it's just so nasty to think of people smoking inside a room or smoking and then kissing. I'm definitely old enough to remember when it was common, but I hated it back then too.

Anyway, rants aside, this is not totally my kind of thing, but I respect it for its originality and the author's willingness to follow the story wherever it takes him (and us). The dialogue is pretty hilarious and occasionally philosophically witty. It kinda strange that he somehow managed to fit a love story into the whole thing as well.

One thing I didn't like was Starr seemed like a complete badass at first but then turned out to be this kind of bumbling weak character. The alley scene just didn't make any sense to me. ( )
  ragwaine | Dec 26, 2015 |

Garth Ennisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dillon, SteveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
1974:

Know who this is, Little Jesse?

Reverend Jesse Custer, an old Texas minister who is joined with a spiritual entity called Genesis and wields the Word of God, revisits terrors of his childhood on his way to find God.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,822,884 books! | Top bar: Always visible