Preacher Vol. 3: Proud Americans by Garth…

Preacher Vol. 3: Proud Americans

by Garth Ennis, Steve Dillon (Illustrator)

Proud Americans is a pretty big deal. I mean, a lot happens here. Ennis only scratched the surface in the prior collection detailing the secret religious organization, The Grail. In Proud Americans, we're given a bit of a back story behind Starr's hatred for their groups leader as well as their ridiculous plans involving a direct decedent of Jesus Christ.

Also, Cassidy is still being held captive and is hoping for the return of his good buddy Jesse, hoping he'll come to his rescue. Jesse however, is struggling with the thought of putting Tulip in ever increasing danger and knowing what lies ahead, he decides to make a controversial decision.

Somewhere in there, we're given an origin story for Cassidy. I'm not going to spoil anything here by saying it was pretty solid, if anything, it gives the character a bit of humanity or even sympathy, something I felt he was lacking. Made me like the ol' drunken Irish bastard all that much more. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
I was amazed how entertaining this volume could be. I wasn't particularly enthralled with the previous volumes but somehow Ennis keeps you reading. I read vol. 2 only with the desire to get to the end and find out what the whole mystery and chase is about. I don't find Garth Ennis's use of language 'bad-ass' nor do I think long monologues on some hobby (guns, westerns) is good characterization. That's what's surprising about this book, I think I liked it more than I should have. ( )
  ancameme | Feb 9, 2014 |
This volume contains the story of Jesse Custer heading to the Grail's home turf to rescue Cassidy, and is bookended by stories of Jesse's father in Vietnam and Cassidy's origin story. The Vietnam story was okay but non-essential. Cassidy's story is wordy but eloquent, especially his pre-9/11 love letter to New York (as Jesse and Cassidy stare at the Twin Towers from the top of the Empire State Building, no less). The Grail story is the usual: violent and fun. It moves the story along well and we get more information about God, Genesis, and Jesse's role in the whole thing. ( )
  lithicbee | Dec 20, 2010 |
Doesn't get any better than this. Well, maybe just a little bit. ( )
  Anagarika-Sean | Sep 25, 2010 |
"Preacher" is a graphic novel series that follows the footseps of the three very different characters - Jesse Custer (a former Reverend and vassal of the mysterious entity Genesis, which may be more powerful than God), Tulip (once a flame of Custer's), and Cassidy (a vampire), as they get into adventures in Jesse's search to find God.

Volume Three of Preacher has a story of John Custer, Jesse Custer's father, fighting in Vietnam, Jesse's rescue of Cassidy from a fortress under the control of The Grail, a secret society dedicated to preserving the bloodline of Jesus and Madgalene, and Cassidy shares part of his life story to Jesse.

All of these stories are excellent - they expand upon the Preacher mythology in interesting ways, and show why the "Preacher" graphic novel series is so enjoyable - the explicit violence, the dark humour, the interesting ideas (including some interesting religious ideas for the story about The Grail).

If you have read the first two graphic novels of "Preacher", you know what to expect here, and it is delivered. If you haven't yet read either of the first two books, I would highly recommend both. ( )
  rojse | Dec 1, 2009 |

Garth Ennisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, SteveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Two-hour stopover, J.F.K.

Jesse Custer heads for France to rescue Cassidy, the Irish vampire, from the clutches of religious fanatics. His search leads him into a no-holds-barred battle against the forces of the Grail. Also told here is the story of how Cassidy became a vampire in the first place.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,357,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible