Preacher Vol. 3: Proud Americans by Garth…

Preacher Vol. 3: Proud Americans

by Garth Ennis, Steve Dillon (Illustrator)

1,122None7,320 (4.15)6
2007 (6) comic (40) comic book (13) comic books (13) comics (135) DC (14) demons (5) Ennis (11) fantasy (32) fiction (58) Garth Ennis (12) God (8) graphic novel (202) horror (18) humor (14) owned (5) paperback (5) preacher (62) read (33) religion (56) satire (5) series (9) supernatural (11) Texas (9) tpb (7) USA (6) vampires (32) Vertigo (47) violence (13) western (18)

Proud Americans is a pretty big deal. I mean, a lot happens here. Ennis only scratched the surface in the prior collection detailing the secret religious organization, The Grail. In Proud Americans, we're given a bit of a back story behind Starr's hatred for their groups leader as well as their ridiculous plans involving a direct decedent of Jesus Christ.

Also, Cassidy is still being held captive and is hoping for the return of his good buddy Jesse, hoping he'll come to his rescue. Jesse however, is struggling with the thought of putting Tulip in ever increasing danger and knowing what lies ahead, he decides to make a controversial decision.

Somewhere in there, we're given an origin story for Cassidy. I'm not going to spoil anything here by saying it was pretty solid, if anything, it gives the character a bit of humanity or even sympathy, something I felt he was lacking. Made me like the ol' drunken Irish bastard all that much more. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
I was amazed how entertaining this volume could be. I wasn't particularly enthralled with the previous volumes but somehow Ennis keeps you reading. I read vol. 2 only with the desire to get to the end and find out what the whole mystery and chase is about. I don't find Garth Ennis's use of language 'bad-ass' nor do I think long monologues on some hobby (guns, westerns) is good characterization. That's what's surprising about this book, I think I liked it more than I should have. ( )
  ancameme | Feb 9, 2014 |
This volume contains the story of Jesse Custer heading to the Grail's home turf to rescue Cassidy, and is bookended by stories of Jesse's father in Vietnam and Cassidy's origin story. The Vietnam story was okay but non-essential. Cassidy's story is wordy but eloquent, especially his pre-9/11 love letter to New York (as Jesse and Cassidy stare at the Twin Towers from the top of the Empire State Building, no less). The Grail story is the usual: violent and fun. It moves the story along well and we get more information about God, Genesis, and Jesse's role in the whole thing. ( )
  lithicbee | Dec 20, 2010 |
Doesn't get any better than this. Well, maybe just a little bit. ( )
  Anagarika-Sean | Sep 25, 2010 |
Another entry in the Preacher series and another excellent read. Ennis and Dillon don't hold their blows when it comes to portraying exactly what they think on the subject of God and religion. The artwork (especially the full page art) is far and above what you can find in most graphic novels. The storyline is compelling and moves in a logical, well- paced manner.

In this volume we finally learn Cass' back story, as well as a bit more about the Grail, and Starr's plans. The Saint of Killers make an appearance and a deal with our favorite ordained minister. We meet the Allfather for the first (and last) time, as well as his hope for world dominance. Jesse learns a little bit more about his family (both good and bad).

My favorite part of the novel was probably the bit explaining how Cassidy became a vampire, but I also enjoyed the rest of it immensely.

Preacher isn't for everyone. If you're squeamish about violence, depravity, or alternate takes on religion, this series isn't for you. If you like that kind of thing (and have a quirky sense of humor), then Preacher is your cup of tea. You'll be laughing and cheering throughout. Memorable moments were (without giving away any spoilers) when the Allfather flew, when Jesse was looking through the things that fell out of Starr's briefcase, and finding out what Cassidy's real name was. ( )
  Schehezerade | Feb 8, 2010 |

Garth Ennisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, SteveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Two-hour stopover, J.F.K.
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Jesse Custer heads for France to rescue Cassidy, the Irish vampire, from the clutches of religious fanatics. His search leads him into a no-holds-barred battle against the forces of the Grail. Also told here is the story of how Cassidy became a vampire in the first place.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,422,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible