Preacher: Proud Americans (Preacher) by…

Preacher: Proud Americans (Preacher) (edition 1997)

by Garth Ennis

Member:othersam
Title:Preacher: Proud Americans (Preacher)
Authors:Garth Ennis
Info:Titan Books Ltd (1997), Paperback
Rating:*****

Preacher Vol. 3: Proud Americans by Garth Ennis

What a great series so far. This book starts off and ends up with very moving stories. The beginning story was about Jesse's dad's time in the army during the Vietnam war. The ending story was about Jesse's desertion of the Irish army and the start of his new life in America--in New York City, of course. I found that last chapter very sentimental and moving. Maybe that was because it had the Statue of Liberty pictured with her head erect (while she still had reason to keep it so) and the Twin Towers still gracing New York's skyline.

AS for the action in this book, there was plenty. In fact, there was so much that I had a hard time keeping the characters straight plus what they each wanted to do with and to each other. I plowed my way through all of that and felt satisfied when the story of the Grail reached its resolution.

Ever onward! I'm now ready for Book Four.

By the way, I adore the friendship between Jesse and Cassidy. In a rough world, it's friendship that truly counts. ( )
  SqueakyChu | Nov 12, 2018 |
Well, here we go.

We get the six part Crusader storyline (fat bastards, idiot saviors, and enough blood and guts to put one over) as well as Cassidy's origin story. What a way to go.

Preacher continues it's brilliant run with more mythos, more crass humor, and enough insults to turn Quentin Tarantino green. What else would you expect, though, really? ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
This was insane as usual. Gorey, irreverent, sacrilegious, perverted, and sometimes touching. Jessie Custer is a "simple man" and for me that makes him hard to relate to. He's a badass and an asshole, but a great friend if you can get on the "short list".

This collection was just as outrageous as the two before it, but there were 3 issues that were different. They flashed back for Jessie and then for Cassidy, and somehow they fit perfectly with the deviant sex and extreme torture of the other issues, showing that Ennis is more than a "shock" writer.

I'm really hoping the series stays this good. ( )
  ragwaine | Nov 16, 2016 |
Bookended by meh, the middle six-issue arc is one of the most blasphenomenally funny things I've seen since Jesus Christ: In the Name of the Gun, and puts the "mess" in "Messiah." Tee and also hee! ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
Proud Americans is a pretty big deal. I mean, a lot happens here. Ennis only scratched the surface in the prior collection detailing the secret religious organization, The Grail. In Proud Americans, we're given a bit of a back story behind Starr's hatred for their groups leader as well as their ridiculous plans involving a direct decedent of Jesus Christ.

Also, Cassidy is still being held captive and is hoping for the return of his good buddy Jesse, hoping he'll come to his rescue. Jesse however, is struggling with the thought of putting Tulip in ever increasing danger and knowing what lies ahead, he decides to make a controversial decision.

Somewhere in there, we're given an origin story for Cassidy. I'm not going to spoil anything here by saying it was pretty solid, if anything, it gives the character a bit of humanity or even sympathy, something I felt he was lacking. Made me like the ol' drunken Irish bastard all that much more. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |

Garth Ennisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dillon, SteveIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Two-hour stopover, J.F.K.

Jesse Custer heads for France to rescue Cassidy, the Irish vampire, from the clutches of religious fanatics. His search leads him into a no-holds-barred battle against the forces of the Grail. Also told here is the story of how Cassidy became a vampire in the first place.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,220,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible