dismiss

I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane…

I Was Told There'd Be Cake (2008)

by Sloane Crosley

From despoiling an exhibit at the Natural History Museum to provoking the ire of her first boss to siccing the cops on her mysterious neighbor, Crosley can do no right despite the best of intentions--or perhaps because of them. Together, these essays create a startlingly funny and revealing portrait of a complex and utterly recognizable character that's aiming for the stars but hits the ceiling, and the inimitable city that has helped shape who she is.--From publisher description.… (more)
Recently added bySerrana, RobFaggart, Willidav, szbuhayar, private library, theodarling, Chocoruapublic, erinrita

Narrative essays especially perfect for the woman in her 20s and 30s. I would like to transfer my funny into essays like this. ( )
  alyssajp | Jul 29, 2019 |
Not laugh-out-loud Sedaris, but entertaining essays for the East Coast liberal arts set. ( )
  Seafox | Jul 24, 2019 |
Laugh-out-loud on the subway good.

The search for one's first professional job is not unlike a magical love potion: when one wants to fall in love with the next thing one sees, one generally does. (The Ursula Cookie) ( )
  JennyArch | Jul 23, 2019 |
Humorous autobiographical essays. I particularly enjoyed her experiences as a Jew at Christian summer camp. Not much to say, to be honest. I'd read another book by her if I came across it, but I don't know that I'd actively seek it out. ( )
  melydia | Jul 19, 2019 |
I get that this came out 8 years ago, so it's harsh to look at it through 2016 eyes. And yet. 2008 was still 4 years after Sex in the City went off the air (and at least 6 since it went off the boil). Ms Crosley can write. I laughed out loud at least twice. And yet. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. This is a collection of so much sub-Carrie Bradshaw inconsequentiality. She can write. I may read her again, although I'll try her novel before another set of essays. This was disappointing. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
As most New Yorkers have done, I have given serious and generous thought to the state of my apartment should I get killed during the day.

A collection of essays by best-selling author Sloane Crosley, that recounts many of her personal adventures.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,377,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible