I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

I Was Told There'd Be Cake (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Sloane Crosley

Member:Allisinner
Title:I Was Told There'd Be Cake
Authors:Sloane Crosley
Info:Riverhead Trade (2008), Edition: 3rd Print, Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading, To read
Tags:to read

I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley (2008)

I'm officially giving this book a 2.5 stars rating. It is a book of short stories about Sloane Crosley's life, but I just wasn't crazy about it. I listened to the audio book read by her, and I really liked her voice and reading style. But the stories kind of tended to run on and tell things that really didn't pertain to the story. I really wanted to like it, but just didn't :( ( )
  TerriS | Dec 7, 2016 |
Eh. ( )
  sionnac | Jul 26, 2016 |
I'm listening to this on my ipod and I'm confused.
Are these short stories or just one heck of a disjointed memoir?
Am I supposed to commiserate with Sloane or think she's eccentric?
Honestly, I don't care about her life. I wasn't nodding along, thinking, "Oh, yeah, we've all been there." I wasn't shaking my head in an "Oh, Sloane, you crazy girl" way. Why? Because I didn't care. At all.
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
Will I be able to put up w/ Crosley's misadventures, given that Ramona is a kid and Crosley is old enough to know better?

---------------------
Ok, when will I learn not to read memoirs by young women of NYC? The title says it all (even though the line never appears in the book). She wouldn't have said yes if it weren't for the promise of a sweet reward.... Ack." ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I really wanted to like this book more. Sloane Crosley has many, many funny sentences in this collection of essays, but the overall essays are structured with flashbacks within flashbacks, making them hard to follow and difficult to become involved in. She goes off on tangents involving imaginary conversations and leaves the reader to figure out what she imagined and what actually happened, and by the time I got to the end I'm afraid it just felt like too much work. ( )
  tigerb | Apr 7, 2016 |
As most New Yorkers have done, I have given serious and generous thought to the state of my apartment should I get killed during the day.

A collection of essays by best-selling author Sloane Crosley, that recounts many of her personal adventures.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159448306X, Paperback)

Wry, hilarious, and profoundly genuine, this debut collection of literary essays is a celebration of fallibility and haplessness in all their glory. From despoiling an exhibit at the Natural History Museum to provoking the ire of her first boss to siccing the cops on her mysterious neighbor, Crosley can do no right despite the best of intentions-or perhaps because of them. Together, these essays create a startlingly funny and revealing portrait of a complex and utterly recognizable character that's aiming for the stars but hits the ceiling, and the inimitable city that has helped shape who she is. I Was Told There'd Be Cake introduces a strikingly original voice, chronicling the struggles and unexpected beauty of modern urban life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:06 -0400)

From despoiling an exhibit at the Natural History Museum to provoking the ire of her first boss to siccing the cops on her mysterious neighbor, Crosley can do no right despite the best of intentions--or perhaps because of them. Together, these essays create a startlingly funny and revealing portrait of a complex and utterly recognizable character that's aiming for the stars but hits the ceiling, and the inimitable city that has helped shape who she is.--From publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,725,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible