I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

I Was Told There'd Be Cake (original 2010; edition 2008)

by Sloane Crosley

Member:Allisinner
Title:I Was Told There'd Be Cake
Authors:Sloane Crosley
Info:
Collections:Your library, Currently reading, To read
Tags:to read

I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley (2010)

I saw a reference to this book, and it looked clever, and I liked the title, so I picked it up. Unfortunately, this collection of memoir essays did not hold my interest. The writing felt a little too contrivedly self-conscious, and the book just didn't make me laugh. Maybe I didn't relate to the narrator? (Actually, her voice very much reminded of a completely different book -- an urban fantasy novel about a young lawyer in a big "white fang" NYC law firm filled with vampires: This Case Is Gonna Kill Me, by Phillipa Bornikova. That one didn't hold my interest either.)

Maybe your mileage would vary, but this one didn't work for me. ( )
  lquilter | Sep 30, 2014 |
Oh yes! What an enjoyable summer beach read. ( )
  kbergfeld | Sep 24, 2014 |
Pretty funny - especially if you live in NYC! ( )
  KatieCarella | Apr 12, 2014 |
Funny overall...the story about The Oregon Trail deserves 5 stars! ( )
  goet0095 | Mar 27, 2014 |
I wouldn't rush out to borrow or buy this volume. If you enjoy this kind of humor, try Augustin Burroughs. Some of the essays are funny and telling; most are just so-so. ( )
  Betty.Ann.Beam | Mar 1, 2014 |
There is only one answer to the question: Would you like to see a three a.m. performance of amateur Portuguese circus clowns?

A collection of essays by best-selling author Sloane Crosley, that recounts many of her personal adventures.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159448306X, Paperback)

Wry, hilarious, and profoundly genuine, this debut collection of literary essays is a celebration of fallibility and haplessness in all their glory. From despoiling an exhibit at the Natural History Museum to provoking the ire of her first boss to siccing the cops on her mysterious neighbor, Crosley can do no right despite the best of intentions-or perhaps because of them. Together, these essays create a startlingly funny and revealing portrait of a complex and utterly recognizable character that's aiming for the stars but hits the ceiling, and the inimitable city that has helped shape who she is. I Was Told There'd Be Cake introduces a strikingly original voice, chronicling the struggles and unexpected beauty of modern urban life.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:01 -0400)

From despoiling an exhibit at the Natural History Museum to provoking the ire of her first boss to siccing the cops on her mysterious neighbor, Crosley can do no right despite the best of intentions--or perhaps because of them. Together, these essays create a startlingly funny and revealing portrait of a complex and utterly recognizable character that's aiming for the stars but hits the ceiling, and the inimitable city that has helped shape who she is.--From publisher description.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,407,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible