I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

I Was Told There'd Be Cake (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Sloane Crosley

Member:Allisinner
Title:I Was Told There'd Be Cake
Authors:Sloane Crosley
Info:Riverhead Trade (2008), Edition: 3rd Print, Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Your library, Currently reading, To read
Tags:to read

I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley (2008)

I really wanted to like this book more. Sloane Crosley has many, many funny sentences in this collection of essays, but the overall essays are structured with flashbacks within flashbacks, making them hard to follow and difficult to become involved in. She goes off on tangents involving imaginary conversations and leaves the reader to figure out what she imagined and what actually happened, and by the time I got to the end I'm afraid it just felt like too much work. ( )
  tigerb | Apr 7, 2016 |
This is a really insightful, funny, and honest collection of personal essays. Readers get a peek at Sloane Crosley's plastic pony collection, short-lived career as a maid of honor, charitable efforts as a museum volunteer, and secretary at a publishing company, among many other aspects of her life. Unlike many other collections I've read, I thoroughly enjoyed each and every one of the essays. I found myself relating to her in more ways than I'd care to admit. ( )
  BooksForYears | Mar 31, 2016 |
Rather disappointing collection of essays, especially after all the buzz I'd heard about this book. She had me laughing at a few places, but most of the stories felt either flat or forced. ( )
  justacatandabook | Mar 9, 2016 |
so-so review...some short stories were better than others. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
so-so review...some short stories were better than others. ( )
  micahmom2002 | Jan 25, 2016 |
As most New Yorkers have done, I have given serious and generous thought to the state of my apartment should I get killed during the day.

A collection of essays by best-selling author Sloane Crosley, that recounts many of her personal adventures.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159448306X, Paperback)

Wry, hilarious, and profoundly genuine, this debut collection of literary essays is a celebration of fallibility and haplessness in all their glory. From despoiling an exhibit at the Natural History Museum to provoking the ire of her first boss to siccing the cops on her mysterious neighbor, Crosley can do no right despite the best of intentions-or perhaps because of them. Together, these essays create a startlingly funny and revealing portrait of a complex and utterly recognizable character that's aiming for the stars but hits the ceiling, and the inimitable city that has helped shape who she is. I Was Told There'd Be Cake introduces a strikingly original voice, chronicling the struggles and unexpected beauty of modern urban life.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:06 -0400)

From despoiling an exhibit at the Natural History Museum to provoking the ire of her first boss to siccing the cops on her mysterious neighbor, Crosley can do no right despite the best of intentions--or perhaps because of them. Together, these essays create a startlingly funny and revealing portrait of a complex and utterly recognizable character that's aiming for the stars but hits the ceiling, and the inimitable city that has helped shape who she is.--From publisher description.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible