The Paper Bag Christmas by Kevin Alan Milne

The Paper Bag Christmas

by Kevin Alan Milne

This is a short but powerful read. Story of 2 brothers and their first REAL Christmas.Touching story of the real meaning of Christmas-what we give of ourselves.Have tissues nearby. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Fantastic, heart warming story that made me cry. I am going to encourage my two children to read this book. I love happy endings, especially ones from the heart. ( )
  gma2lana | Sep 26, 2011 |
Summary: After visiting Santa one Christmas, two young brothers, Molar and Aaron are enlisted to spend the month of December as Santa's "elves" helping out on the oncology floor at a children's hospital in Portand, Oregon. They are both promised the "best Christmas gift they never had" in exchange. Through the guidance of Dr K. Ringle (a pediatric oncologist, who the boys secretly suspect may be the "real-deal" Santa Clause) they meet many children with life threatening illnesses. During this time Molar and Aaron participate in a unique Christmas Pagent, have perilous adventures and kindle special friendships with the children who inadvertently teach them the true meaning of Christmas.

Ramblings: The Paper Bag Christmas is a short, sweet little story told through the voice of young Molar, a 9 year old boy. The top of each chapter is adorned with a meaninful Christmas quote. Reading the book will reveal the significance behind the unusual title. The story unfolds predominatley in a hospital setting. Despite being short, the book is still action packed, touching on themes of beauty is more than skin deep, death and dying and the true meaning of Christmas. Molar is a very believable character who is totally all boy, sometimes finding his big mouth getting him in over his head. He and his brother Aaron are assigned to help two specific patient's at the Children's Hospital. Aaron's patient is an Indian boy named Madhu, a friendly, outgoing young man who desperately needs a liver transplant. Madhu yearns to learn more about Christmas, since he is not a Christian. Molar's assignement proves to be a bit more challenging. Katrina, is the direct opposite, a friendless, introverted girl with a devestating brain tumor. Multiple brain surgeries have left her so disfigured she wears a white paper bag over her head because she is "ugly"and the other children poke fun at her appearance. Both children feel as though Santa couldn't possibly grant their unconventional Christmas wishes this year. Are they right or will the powerful magic of the Christmas season work miracles for these two deserving young kids?

Recommendation: I would recommend this book to readers of all ages looking for rediscovering the true meaning of Christmas. If you want a story which takes you on an emotional roller coaster, from laughing out loud, to bawling like a baby, but then in the end leaves you with a renewed Christmas spirit, read this book! However, be warned this book does touch on some mature themes such as: terminal illness, death and dying. Still, the story does manange to evolk warm and fuzzy feelings leaving the reader with a lot to think about in the end. The Paper Bag Christmas is the perfect book to read during the Christmas season. ( )
  sgcallaway1994 | Dec 29, 2010 |
I want to tell you that this is a magnificent story. A story so powerful with the absolute true meaning of Christmas. It made me laugh, it made me cry. But most of all, it made me realize that there is more to Christmas than just Santa Claus and presents and the love of a family. It's about alot more than that, helping one another, selflessness, and miracles.

It is a Christmas tradition in itself to start with your families...reading this amazing God filled Christmas story. A book that I am sure you won't want to put down! I know I didn't!

I will give this book 5 stars. I will give the author two thumbs up for a job well done. A story that you WILL NOT want to miss!

*Thank you to Hachette Book Group for providing a copy of this book for review.* ( )
  ReviewsbyMolly | Dec 31, 2009 |
This is definitely the best of the Christmas books I have read.

The day after Thanksgiving, two young boys, 9-year-old Molar (his father is a dentist) and 11-year-old Aaron are taken by their parents – reluctantly – to see Santa Claus at the mall. Santa Claus turns out to be Dr. Christopher K. Ringle, a pediatric oncologist and friend of their parents. He promises to give the boys the best gift they “never” wanted for Christmas. He then assigns the boys a job as elves in the children’s oncology unit at his hospital. They are to come three nights a week until Christmas to help bring holiday cheer to the children.

Additionally, each boy has a special assignment to befriend particular patients. Aaron is assigned to a young boy from India named Madhu who is waiting for a liver donation, and Molar is asked to look in every night on Katrina, a girl with brain cancer who hides her disfigured head under a paper bag. They also help with a Christmas pageant directed by one of the nurses and in which the oncology kids will star.

By Christmas day, the boys have learned a great deal about the true meaning of Christmas, and you, the reader, will have done more sobbing than you thought was possible.

Evaluation: This is definitely a holiday book, but it’s a wonderful one. The author uses Molar to tell the story from his own 9-year-old perspective, which I thought added a great deal of appeal. Molar's reactions seem just right. And I really like combining the traditional theme of Christmas books with awareness about pediatric cancer. The illness is treated respectfully, and even the sad parts have happy aspects to them. ( )
  nbmars | Dec 21, 2009 |

"A heart-tugging tale of a boy who discovers the true meaning of Christmas through his friendship with a troubled little girl"--Provided by publisher.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,165,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible