Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Simon by Rosemary Sutcliff

Simon (1953)

by Rosemary Sutcliff

English (2)  German (1)  All languages (3)
Lovely, lovely book; one of my favourite books ever. It's about the English Civil War, and manages to convey information about and the perspective of, both sides pretty fairly, which is rare in books on the subject. Although popular history (and the course of history) tends to be pretty firmly on the Royalist side (well, they did have better clothes and were more fun), Charles I was kind of a fool, and Parliament had a very genuine grievence, and you can learn all about that here, as well as meeting some of the colourful and interesting characters on the Parliamentary side (they weren't all like Cromwell--not at all).

Simon is one of those nice books where you can learn a great deal painlessly--it's books like this that consisted my entire pre-university history education, and I was definitely in the top ten as far as what I already knew, in most of my history courses. ( )
  pollyanna | Jan 14, 2007 |
I never read this one as a child - I was really only interested in Sutcliff's Roman novels. This is a pity as I would have loved it. It's set during the (English) Civil War, and is a story of two friends. It has the somewhat hackneyed plot of them being on opposing sides, but the treatment is intelligent, and it didn't seem hackneyed while reading it. ( )
  Only2rs | Jul 23, 2006 |
For My Mother: with love
In the deep sunshiny window recess of Dr Odysseus Hannaford's study, two boys sprawled side by side.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,473,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible