The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish by…

The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish (1997)

by Neil Gaiman

Other authors: Dave McKean (Illustrator)

English (40)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (42)
Not for toddlers, despite that it looks like a picture book. Probably best of all for 9-10 yo boys who like to draw - especially if they have a little sister. Rather British, esp. the setting & cultural context, but I do think Americans and others would not really care, because after all it is a fantasy - so it's largely irrelevant whether you're familiar with this kind of a community or not.

I'm not sure *why* I liked it, as the plot is so implausible, the art is slightly nightmarish. I guess I totally empathized with the kid wanting to be able to improve his family by trading off Dad. And the art was appropriate, of course. The concept of a book as a complete work of art is catching on more and more, esp. w/ children's stories, and I love it. (Think [b:Chester|1703186|Chester|Mélanie Watt|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255810749s/1703186.jpg|1700253] by [a:Mélanie Watt|308542|Mélanie Watt|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nophoto/nophoto-F-50x66.jpg] for a more upbeat take on the idea for younger children.) ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Author Neil Gaiman and illustrator Dave McKean tell the story 'The Day I swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish.' A boy has the great idea to trade his dad for his friend's two goldfish. But his mother doesn't see it as such a great idea and makes the boy and his little sister trade back the two goldfish for their dad. Apparently, the boy isn't the only one who had the brilliant idea to trade the boy's dad. This takes the boy and his sister around town to get their dad back in a crazy and comical quest. ( )
  Jtreed | Mar 23, 2016 |
This is such an eventful tale, definitely not for younger kids. The art in itself takes you to some crazy places. A story of what is important and what should stay that way. ( )
  gracelovera | Sep 29, 2015 |
Loved the book, loved the illustrations. I like it's length. ( )
  margothere.library | Aug 8, 2015 |
The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish is an excellent book for readers who are around third and fourth grade. More than just a regular picture book, this short story in transitional book form tells the story of a child that is making some interesting trades for things that are more fun that their father. The perspective of the child in this book really speaks to readers that are looking to see themselves in their books. The book really shines once the main character has to try to figure out how to get his dad back, with narratives that highlight what kind of situation that the child is really in. The artwork is amazing, and readers will spend a great amount of time just looking through the detailed and dark artwork. ( )
  jmitra1 | Oct 25, 2014 |

Gaiman, Neilprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
McKean, DaveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
One day my mom went out and left me at home with just my little sister and my dad.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060587016, Hardcover)

It's a graphic short story more than a traditional picture book, by a famous fantasy and comics team. From the front end-flap to the final Fin (and not excepting the copyright page), this is a witty, funny collaboration. Neil Gaiman's grasp of kid-narrative logic and Dave McKean's whimsical layered art tell the story of a dad who "doesn't pay much attention to anything, when reading his newspaper" and the narrator's brilliant idea of swapping him for something more interesting--and of course, the convoluted consequences.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:49 -0400)

After trading his father for two goldfish, a boy and his little sister go on a rollicking adventure around town to get him back.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,739,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible