The Last Hot Time by John M. Ford

The Last Hot Time (2001)

by John M. Ford

Other authors: Tristan Elwell (Cover artist)

This is a new Bordertown story. It does stand on its own; nothing requires the reader to even suspect the existence of the other stories, much less have read them. Danny Holman, a young man with considerable experience as an emergency medical technician, flees his old life for the City, and along the way he gets hooked up with Mr. Patrise, who appears to be a somewhat senior gangster. Danny, with his EMT skills, becomes Doc Hallownight, and settles in, more or less, to his new life, providing much-needed emergency medical services after, and sometimes during, shoot-outs. He also acquires a girlfriend and other friends, elf and human, and slowly and painfully starts to learn a few things about himself. Elves are almost inescapably alluring to humans, but elf culture is fairly appalling, morally, when you look at it. There's more than a hint of its nature in the fact that the elves' name for themselves is Truebloods. Some of the inhabitants of Bordertown, both elf and human, have noticed this.

The book is far too short to say anything more about the plot without spoilers, but this is one of the stronger Bordertown stories. ( )
  LisCarey | Sep 19, 2018 |
I picked this book up, purely because it's by [author:John M Ford]. I read his two Star Trek novels, [book:How Much for Just the Planet], and [book:The Final Reflection], and very much wanted more of his work. [book:The Final Reflection], in particular, really impressed me.

So I didn't quite know what to expect from [book:The Last Hot Time]. I had to readjust my expectations several times, but this wasn't at all a bad thing. The book is gripping, fast-paced, powerful urban fantasy. The setting starts out real-world, and you get to follow the main character into the fantasy elements.

This is one I think I'll have to re-read, and I feel sure I'll get more from it then. There are layers I felt go by me, without being able to see them. ( )
  hopeevey | May 19, 2018 |
A good read. I didn't bond with it as much as the friend who loaned it to me did. It was a little preoccupied with what everyone was wearing, but they were wearing such neat clothes that I don't grumble. ( )
  GinnyTea | Mar 31, 2013 |
A truly, truly top-notch work of fiction. Every time I read it, new nuances bubble up, forcing me to reconsider the work. Honestly one of the best-crafted novels I've ever read. ( )
  ractatma | May 23, 2011 |
How have I missed this author?

There is a great tabletop role-playing game system called Shadowrun that was originally published in 1989. In it magic returned to the world in 2011, bringing with it mythological creatures and turning some humans into orks, trolls, dwarves, and elves. In the gaming system it's initially 2050 and it's a cyberpunk urban fantasy world that prefigures a lot of the popular fiction being written now, where mega-corporations rule the world and operate sort of like organized crime syndicates - sort of William Gibson meets Tolkein. It's an awesome gaming system and I've never understood why it isn't more popular. Related to this are the Borderland Series based on a similar fictional universe and created by Terri Windling. There are a number of collections of short stories edited by Ms. Windling and several novels of which my favorite is Finder by Emma Bull.

The Last Hot Time is set in a similar sort of universe. Its Chicago and the elves have punched through into our universe bringing with them all kinds of magic and transitory places. This is a coming-of-age story whose main character is plopped down into the middle of things in this alternate Chicago. A paramedic by trade, training, and vocation, Danny Holmann becomes Doc and learns about life, friendship, and the possibility of love.

If you can imagine elements of high fantasy crossed with a film noir feel you'll get a sense of the flavor of this wonderful and original book. Ford writes well and tells a great story and now I want to find everything he wrote. As an aside, Mr. Ford is the person who introduced Klingonaase to the world in his Star Trek novel, The Final Reflection. How geektastic is that? ( )
  kraaivrouw | May 2, 2010 |

John M. Fordprimary authorall editionscalculated
Elwell, TristanCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

When Danny Holman leaves the cornfields of Iowa for the bright lights of Chicago, he expects his life to change. He just can't guess how much and how fast. A violent incident on the road brings Danny the favor of a man known only as Mr. Patrise, who gives Danny a job, a home, and a new identity.

The City is a different world from the one Danny--now called Doc--knew, and literally so. Long-vanished powers have returned, and more is going on in the streets than nightlife and street warfare. Power is gathering: a power rooted in terror, madness, and death. To fight it will require Doc to face what he fears most. To defeat it will take something more than courage.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:49 -0400)

"When Danny Holman leaves the cornfields of Iowa for the bright lights of the City, he expects his life to change. He just can't guess how much and how fast. A violent incident on the road brings Danny the favor of a man known only as Mr. Patrise, who gives Danny a job, a home, and a new identity." "The City is a different world from the one Danny (now called Doc) knew, and literally so. The long-vanished lands of the Elves have again opened doors into our reality. Humans cannot cross these thresholds, but the Elves can." "Mr. Patrise is a power in the Levee, the shadowy, lawless region between the two worlds, where elf and human gangsters skirmish with sorcery and submachine guns and where anything can be sold, smuggled, or stolen. But the nature of that power - over his people, the City, and the unpredictable new forces of magic - is a mystery. The more Doc learns about the City and his responsibilities in it, the more he wonders if he's in far over his head." "Still, the work is exciting. As are the attractions of the Levee. And dark-haired Ginevra Benci, another of Mr. Patrise's employees, confronts Doc with something he's never known before - and may not want to know." "More is going on in the Levee than nightlife and street warfare. Power is gathering: a power rooted in terror, madness, and death. To fight it will require Doc to face what he fears most. To defeat it will take something more than courage."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,840,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible