The Mind Parasites by Colin Wilson

The Mind Parasites (original 1967; edition 1968)

by Colin Wilson

Member:whiten06
Title:The Mind Parasites
Authors:Colin Wilson
Info:Bantam (1968), Mass Market Paperback, 196 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2
Tags:fiction, 1967

The mind parasites by Colin Wilson (1967)

Momo by Michael Ende (overtheseatoskye)
    overtheseatoskye: which finds similarly mystical explanations for modern ills, without the unsavory Ayn Rand-ish overtones.

English (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (4)
This was an excellent book examining the premise that since the 1800's/1900's there has been some form of energy being stifling mankind's creative energies through physical/material diversions. It goes through a lot of philosophy but the story, although fictional, it seems to make perfect sense. It's almost like some form of trans-dimensional entity sits on the tenuous thread that attaches our underlying joint consciousness. What I found very interesting was the way Wilson used the HP Lovecraft Cthulu mythology, I thought that was a really nice touch. The book was great, well written with excellent verbal imagery and interesting throughout. ( )
1 vote John99999999 | Sep 23, 2008 |
I didn't come close to finishing this book, which is rare for me. It reads like the ramblings of a someone with a cliched case of paranoid schizophrenia who knows that SOMETHING IS GOING ON, and the smugness of his special knowledge/place in the world started to wear on me pretty quick. I wonder if Colin Wilson had an early version of the DSM in front of him while writing this. ( )
  amandrake | Jun 10, 2008 |
This book will mess you up man. It is great! ( )
  infinette | Jun 7, 2007 |
I must, before I die, find some way to say the essential thing that is in me, that I have never said yet - a thing that is not love or hate or pity or scorn, but the very breath of life, fierce and coming from far away, bringing into human life the vastness and the fearful passionless force of non-human things . . .

Bertrand Russell

Letter to Constance Malleson, 1918.

quoted in

My Philosophical Development p. 261
For August Derleth who suggested it
We make no apology for devoting Volume III of the Cambridge History of the Nuclear Age to this new edition of that important document known as The Mind Parasites by Professor Gilbert Austin.

Wilson has blended H.P. Lovecraft’s dark vision with his own revolutionary philosophy and unique narrative powers to produce a stunning, high-tension story of vaulting imagination. A professor makes a horrifying discovery while excavating a sinister archeological site. For over 200 years, mind parasites have been lurking in the deepest layers of human consciousness, feeding on human life force and steadily gaining a foothold on the planet. Now they threaten humanity’s extinction. They can be fought with one weapon only: the mind, pushed to—and beyond—its limits. Pushed so far that humans can read each other’s thoughts, that the moon can be shifted from its orbit by thought alone. Pushed so that man can at last join battle with the loathsome parasites on equal terms.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:43 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,549,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible