Banker to the Poor: Micro-Lending and the…

Banker to the Poor: Micro-Lending and the Battle Against World Poverty (1999)

by Muhammad Yunus

The Blue Sweater by Jacqueline Novogratz (espertus)
    espertus: Both are inspiring accounts of the growth of organizations that harness market forces to empower impoverished people to improve their own lives.

English (23)  Italian (2)  Greek (1)  All languages (26)
by the recent Nobel Prize winner Muhamad Yunus
founder of the Grameen Bank

On Pages 140 - 147, Dr. Yunus describes setting up the Tangail branch of Grameen bank, and how the terrorist situation made it very dangerous. In the end the presence of the bank directly contributed to the safety and lessening of terrorist activity in that province.

Elsewhere he mentions that job applicants in Bangladesh had to pay an application fee and another fee to have a job interview! Talk about participating in your own exploitation. How to get around such a practice?
(When I was in Turkey we had to list photos and age on our CV, which is also participating in your own exploitation as I think on it now...)

P. 206 - 207
The Proud Cherokee!! Now I see where my mother got her 'Chief Joseph look' from!!! She would drive me crazy as a small child trying to argue with her, and all she would do was fold her arms and go 'stoney-faced' like the Cherokee women he spoke to in Oklahoma. I always knew then that 1. she was imitating her mother, my grandmother, and 2. I was not going to get another word out of her! Ok, now I see that we've got it honest...

note...
p. 16-17 waste & deception of aid
(renting gov. official-owned places ; Foreign aid budget -> employ & sell own ppl and goods...)

p. 23 aid -> dependency & 'good at negotiating for more aid'

p. 66 waste of deep tubewells: no link to end-user

p. 69 obj. to 'small farmer' 1. male issues only (wow-for a man to say or think of this is amazing!!)
2. 1/5 time = agric. so 80% of time not farming

p. 70 must diff. really poor vs. farmers
p. 71-3 defs/groups: p1 == bottom 20%, p2 ,p3 -cannot help poor & non-poor: poor "elbowed out" by less poor

p. 71 each country needs its own def. of 'poor'

p. 81 'banking untouchables'
p. 88 credit to women -> faster change

p. 142 takes ~ 2 years to find structural faults
p. 148 eng a social rev.
p 154 / 155 -micro-credit prevents terrorism

p. 157-9 natural distasters not show-stopper
p. 178 9/13 board members illiterate (borrowers)
p. 182 Turkey had non mc in 1998 [[they do now...]]]
p. 190 'charity' -> wage slavery 'can be a prison.'
p. 191 WSEP, Chicago
p. 193 credit -social change

p. 210 RESULTS (Sam Daley-Harris) & CBS 'Sixty Minutes'

chapter 27 1st page: P. 213 "The market always pushes things onto the side of the powerful."

[[but he is not at all anti-mkt...]]]

p. 215 'the dole...robs them...of self-respect'
'poverty...is created by the structures of society'

[[[but participating in it can be a vote for legitimating it... imho]]]

p. 216 -Yunus believes in competition
[[[Yunus (imho) is wrong to say 'competition is the driving...' since we've got good evidence that cooperation works even inside of competition (look at the cartels...)]]]

p. 214 social-consciousness-driven
p. 216 Yunus is right "all human beings are potential entrepreneurs."

p. 217 (accountable maximization) -Barnes would disagree with Yunus: says 2 item max. basket, since can only max. 1 thing effectively...
[[hmmm...]]

p. 219 imho cooperation more effective than compe.
p. 220 defines development via bottom 25% qualies

P. 221 GramenPhone, Grameen Shakti (Energy)
-judge a society by lowest percentile
[[as Ros quoted ...Rawls??? ... on "judge a society by how it treats it's most vulnerable" ]]

p. 224 refs David Bornstein (1996) 'The Price of a Dream'
p. 226 -'The poor work for the benefit of someone who controls the productive assets.'
-unless other help intervenes or they cooperate

P. 228 Frederiko Mayor -UNESCO
to help Grameen Shikkha (Education)
P. 232 Grameen families lower birthrates

Chapter 31 (p. 233) SELF-EMPLOY !!!

p. 234 -back to social theoretical framework
credit -> economic power -> social power
-credit as human right
P. 235 micro-econ. theory w/lbr & capital -firm leaves no self employment

p. 236 econ. denigrate 'informal sector'
p. 246 health care essential
p. 250 mkt: GrameenCheck & Flannel
[[ok, Joe was right, Yunus did create a market...]]]
p. 258 fisheries, etc; Need direction to prevent rich incr.

p. 284 Clinton nixed welfare to help the poor??

P. 285 not true: info. is restricted!!

YES!! -P. 286 1. access to a. credit b. info. c. mkts
2. no passports or visas
Read, Write, Dream, Teach !

ShiraDest
19 February, 12016 HE
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
by the recent Nobel Prize winner Muhamad Yunus
founder of the Grameen Bank

P. 206 - 207

note...
p. 16-17 waste & deception of aid

p. 23 aid -> dependency & 'good at negotiating for more aid'

p. 66 waste of deep tubewells: no link to end-user

2. 1/5 time = agric. so 80% of time not farming

p. 70 must diff. really poor vs. farmers

p. 71 each country needs its own def. of 'poor'

p. 81 'banking untouchables'
p. 88 credit to women -> faster change

p. 142 takes ~ 2 years to find structural faults
p. 148 eng a social rev.
p 154 / 155 -micro-credit prevents terrorism

p. 157-9 natural distasters not show-stopper
p. 178 9/13 board members illiterate (borrowers)
p. 182 Turkey had non mc in 1998 [[they do now...]]]
p. 190 'charity' -> wage slavery 'can be a prison.'
p. 191 WSEP, Chicago
p. 193 credit -social change

p. 210 RESULTS (Sam Daley-Harris) & CBS 'Sixty Minutes'

[[but he is not at all anti-mkt...]]]

p. 215 'the dole...robs them...of self-respect'
'poverty...is created by the structures of society'

[[[but participating in it can be a vote for legitimating it... imho]]]

p. 216 -Yunus believes in competition

p. 214 social-consciousness-driven
p. 216 Yunus is right "all human beings are potential entrepreneurs."

[[hmmm...]]

p. 219 imho cooperation more effective than compe.
p. 220 defines development via bottom 25% qualies

P. 221 GramenPhone, Grameen Shakti (Energy)
-judge a society by lowest percentile

p. 224 refs David Bornstein (1996) 'The Price of a Dream'
-unless other help intervenes or they cooperate

P. 228 Frederiko Mayor -UNESCO
to help Grameen Shikkha (Education)
P. 232 Grameen families lower birthrates

Chapter 31 (p. 233) SELF-EMPLOY !!!

p. 234 -back to social theoretical framework
credit -> economic power -> social power
-credit as human right
P. 235 micro-econ. theory w/lbr & capital -firm leaves no self employment

p. 236 econ. denigrate 'informal sector'
p. 246 health care essential
p. 250 mkt: GrameenCheck & Flannel
[[ok, Joe was right, Yunus did create a market...]]]
p. 258 fisheries, etc; Need direction to prevent rich incr.

p. 284 Clinton nixed welfare to help the poor??

P. 285 not true: info. is restricted!!

YES!! -P. 286 1. access to a. credit b. info. c. mkts
2. no passports or visas
Read, Write, Dream, Teach !

ShiraDest
19 February, 12016 HE
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
hi
  Carol_CiCibaby | Mar 16, 2017 |
I learned alot from this. Can't really judge the writing - its more the info therein and that was what I was looking for.
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
An uplifting story about the triumph of love over greed. Many, many organizations leverage micro-lending or micro-credit today and I hope that the philosophies of Grameen continue to grow and seep into cultures around the world. This is a very uplifting and inspiring true story. ( )
  TheMadTurtle | Dec 26, 2015 |
Chittagong, the largest port in Bangladesh, is a commercial city of 3 million people.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0195795377, Hardcover)

This book is an autobiographical account of the founder of the Grameen Bank, Muhammad Yunus. This work is a fundamental rethinking of the economic relationship between the rich and the poor, as well as their rights and obligations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

The West is under threat. Russia has been granted sole access to the undersea Lomonosov Ridge in the Arctic Ocean - home to oil reserves even greater than Saudi Arabia's. The US is determined to claim a share of the oil riches. The CIA send ex-KGB agent Anna on a mission to the brutal wilderness of Norilsk - the base of Russia's Arctic development and a new floating nuclear station. She must disrupt their plans, but Intelligence reports that a Russian group are already planning to destroy the precious power station. But why are they risking everything to sabotage their own country's resources? Is the US trying to force an outcome while keeping their hands clean? With the KGB hot on their tail, it's up to Anna and the CIA to prevent an attack that could destroy the entire Arctic region, and its oil reserves, for ever.… (more)

PublicAffairs

An edition of this book was published by PublicAffairs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,762,210 books! | Top bar: Always visible