Banker to the Poor: Micro-Lending and the…

Banker to the Poor: Micro-Lending and the Battle Against World Poverty (1999)

by Muhammad Yunus

Recently added bysandrikoti, fkhicdawgybe, private library, AliBookSale, ALLTHEBOOKS, asvitek7, Tytania, nsabin
    The Blue Sweater by Jacqueline Novogratz (espertus)
    espertus: Both are inspiring accounts of the growth of organizations that harness market forces to empower impoverished people to improve their own lives.

English (18)  Italian (2)  Greek (1)  All languages (21)
An uplifting story about the triumph of love over greed. Many, many organizations leverage micro-lending or micro-credit today and I hope that the philosophies of Grameen continue to grow and seep into cultures around the world. This is a very uplifting and inspiring true story. ( )
  TheMadTurtle | Dec 26, 2015 |
I absolutely loved this book! It was great seeing how Yunus worked with the women in need. I'd recommend it to anyone, especially those interested in business/banking. ( )
  tannerl | May 13, 2014 |
Nobel Prize winner Mohammad Yunus describes how he founded the Grameen Bank and launched the whole micro lending concept. His description of poverty makes it so evident how fortunate we are in the US. Very inspirational! ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |
this is a great book for people who don't want to be bogged down by economic jargon. while there are certainly technical terms in the book, they're relatively few & far between, and yunus manages to keep things anecdotal for the most part. most importantly, it focuses on and drives home inequalities such as the 80%-20% paradox (which is now closer to 90%-10%). ( )
  cat-ballou | Apr 2, 2013 |
This book was incredibly interesting and really made me question a lot of the concepts and policies I'm learning in my macroeconomics class. It also gave me hope. It's the [true] story of the Grameen bank, which caters specifically to the most impoverished people in the world, and how the bank grew from the author lending $27 to people in his town to a million / billion dollar corporation. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to truly help the needy and destitute, anyone who feels like reading a smart book, or anyone who's interested in economics. The only critisism I have would be that the last few chapters sound a little bit communist-like to me, but that's probably just because I'm not a fan of utopianism, but Yunus is. I wanted him to be right about the final chapters, though. ( )
  LCoale1 | Jan 11, 2012 |
Chittagong, the largest port in Bangladesh, is a commercial city of 3 million people.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0195795377, Hardcover)

This book is an autobiographical account of the founder of the Grameen Bank, Muhammad Yunus. This work is a fundamental rethinking of the economic relationship between the rich and the poor, as well as their rights and obligations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:36 -0400)

Yunus traces the journey that led him to rethink the economic relationship between rich and poor and recounts the challenges he faced in founding Grameen. He provides wise, hopeful guidance for anyone who would like to join him in the burgeoning world movement of micro-lending to eradicate world poverty.… (more)

PublicAffairs

An edition of this book was published by PublicAffairs.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,885,372 books! | Top bar: Always visible