Duke Most Wanted (Heiress Brides) by Celeste…

Duke Most Wanted (Heiress Brides) (edition 2008)

by Celeste Bradley

Member:BabeyBeeen
Title:Duke Most Wanted (Heiress Brides)
Authors:Celeste Bradley
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2008), Edition: First Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages

Duke Most Wanted by Celeste Bradley

Duke Most Wanted
2 Stars

Synopsis
Sophie Blake is tall, thin and plain. She never thought to marry let alone set her sights on a duke until Graham Cavendish, the only man she has ever felt comfortable around, unexpectedly inherits a title and a mountain of debt with it. Suddenly, Sophie is in the running for the Pickering inheritance and for the man of her dreams.

Review
This series is my first encounter with Celeste Bradley and overall, I'm not impressed. Her plots are simplistic and her characters superficial and one dimensional, even more so in this book than in the previous two.

The first 3/4 of the book are boring and drawn out. Graham's sudden realization that Sophie is the love of his life is completely unrealistic and the fact that it stems from her physical transformation presents him as shallow and egotistical.

The action heats up in the final 1/4 but it is too little too late even though the twist regarding Sophie's identity is entertaining.

I've heard that Bradley's other series are better so I may give her another try sometime. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
A delicious Regency read!! Engaging characters and an entertaining plot line. Nice amount of steam to keep the story popping!

They really are quite a pair! Sophie was easily my fav of the cousins!!

I love a lively historical with all the pomp and circumstance! Really enjoyable read!

A fun series. ( )
  grapeapril75 | Oct 18, 2014 |
Silly, but fun. There were some loose ends that could be left alone, but could be explored some in a future novel if Bradley wanted to. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
The third and final book in the Heiress Brides series, was a great one for the most part. The ending however, pretty much ruined most of the fun for me since Sophie's character, who seemed the most likable of the heiresses thus far, took a turn for the worse.Sophie is the third cousin contesting for the Pickering fortune. Sophie however, has no plans to marry a duke and win the money. She is pretty much content with her books, her German fairytales and her friendship with Graham, fourth son of a duke. Besides, she's extremely plain; who would want her anyway?But when Graham unexpectedly becomes a duke, and an impoversished one at that, things change abruptly. Graham has to find a rich wife to save his family estate from ruin. Sophie, shocked with the thought of losing Graham to another woman decides to take matters in her own hands. She applies to Lementeur, the most famous London dress maker, who agrees to transform her into the most desirable lady of the ton. Graham, deprived from her company for the days while the transformation takes place (he doesn't know anything about it of course) begins to realize how much Sophie's friendship means to him. And when he sees her as the belle of the ball, his surrender to her charms is complete. He still fights his attraction though, since he feels he has an obligation to his tenants to save the estate from ruin and Sophie has no money to offer to that cause. However, as they keep on seeing each other and Sophie is surrounded by possible suitors, his jealousy grows and grows until he can hardly fight his feelings for her anymore. At that point, the plot takes a twist and suddenly everything is not as it seems. Unfortunately, that twist did not change things for the better and it made the happy end somewhat unbelievable for me. But since this twist happened only 50 pages before the end, I would say I enjoyed the book as a whole though it turned out as my least favorite of the series, with the second, The duke next door, being my favorite one. ( )
  faniP | Aug 24, 2012 |
Lady Wombat says:

After reading the Prologue, with its charming wit, I thought I would enjoy this one. But there is very little here beyond very broad comedy -- little character development, lots of telling rather than showing, and very little feel for the period make for an unsatisfying read.
  Wombat | Jan 10, 2010 |

Sophie Blake’s grandfather willed his fortune to the first of his granddaughters to marry a duke. Since her cousin, Deirdre, will seal the deal any day now, the quiet, bookish Sophie can sit back and enjoy her time with the only man she truly adores: Graham. No matter that the part charmer, part scoundrel has absolutely no designs on her! Sophie is content to engage Graham in lively conversation, beat him at cards. . .and probe at the darkness hiding behind his rakish smile.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312939701, Mass Market Paperback)

Sophie Blake’s grandfather willed his fortune to the first of his granddaughters to marry a duke.  Since her cousin, Deirdre, will seal the deal any day now, the quiet, bookish Sophie can sit back and enjoy her time with the only man she truly adores: Graham. No matter that the part charmer, part scoundrel has absolutely no designs on her! Sophie is content to engage Graham in lively conversation, beat him at cards. . .and probe at the darkness hiding behind his rakish smile.

Then Graham unexpectedly gains a title, an estate in near ruins and a mountain of debt.  If there is any chance of survival he must find a rich wife—quickly. As his hunt for a bride begins, Sophie realizes that she isn’t even in the running. Suddenly no longer content to be a wallflower, Sophie gets a stunning make-over and becomes the belle of the ball. Lots of heads are turning…including Graham’s. But this beauty has secrets of her own. Will she be his salvation or seal his fate?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:23 -0400)

When wallflower Sophie's friend Graham unexpectedly inherits a title, a ruined estate, and huge debts, forcing him to find a wealthy wife, Sophie enlists the help of her cousins for a makeover that will catch his eye.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,491,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible