Fallen (Seven Deadly Sins, Book 2) by Erin…

Fallen (Seven Deadly Sins, Book 2) (edition 2008)

by Erin McCarthy

190693,270 (3.46)12
Member:nashjar
Title:Fallen (Seven Deadly Sins, Book 2)
Authors:Erin McCarthy
Info:Jove (2008), Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:****1/2

Fallen by Erin McCarthy

Fallen
3 Stars

Series note: Fallen can be read as a standalone as aside from the setting of New Orleans and the reappearance of a secondary character from book #1, there is no connection between the books.

The romance has potential but never really gets going and the characters, while interesting in terms of their struggles with addiction, ultimately fail to evoke any emotion or caring.

The mystery is interesting and the excerpts from newspapers, police reports and trial excerpts add a realistic tone to the description of events and the investigation. Nevertheless, the ultimate revelation of the killer is anti-climactic and the motive ambiguous and vague. Moreover, the ending is unnecessarily drawn out and the paranormal elements are superfluous.

Will probably get around to reading the last book sometime but it is not a priority. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
This was actually kind of depressing, but I'm not quite sure why. ( )
  LaCello | Sep 21, 2013 |
I quite like Erin McCarthy's NASCAR books, so this was a real disappointment. There were just so many flaws with the internal logic of the book. For example, the hero's situation is such that he can't touch anyone because they become addicted to him. But in the midst of worrying about that happening, he's casually touching our heroine all over the place, and then LETS HER HAVE SEX WITH HIM, because...as long as she does all the work it doesn't count? Maybe it only makes sense to angels. And the heroine is not exempt from the crazy! In one scene she (a forensic SCIENTIST) needs to know whether absinthe could cause violence. So she drinks a bunch. Yeah, because that is a legitimate scientific experiment. I mean, you'd think she might consider variances in body chemistry, psychological state, etc.--or check to see whether there have been large-scale studies, which might actually produce a statistically significant result. It's moronic. These kinds of things just make me pull back and go "WHAT?!?" and I end up not enjoying the book. ( )
  ut.tecum.loquerer | Apr 22, 2010 |
not much romance.....more mystery. ( )
  blingtastic | Apr 9, 2009 |
Fallen angel turned demon, Gabriel St. John, had spent the last 150 years paying penance for his weakness in falling prey to the vice of gluttony, becoming an absinthe addict and possibly even a murderer. When Gabriel discovers another murder almost identical to the one he may have committed, he requests the aide of the victim’s daughter, forensic analyst Sara Michaels. But when Sara comes to assist in his investigation he finds himself falling for her, and for an already fallen angel, nothing could be more painful than falling once again.

Having only read one other contemporary romance by this author, I wasn't entirely sure how well she would do in the paranormal genre. However, "Fallen" was quite the pleasant surprise for me. This book actually touched on quite a few things I've always found interesting; from the fallen angel/demon mythos to absinth addictions. I even enjoyed Sara's request for a rendition of Kiss' Beth performed on the piano as opposed to Gabriel's classical piano playing. I liked both of the characters in this novel and found the slow progression of their physical relationship more romantic the increasingly usual, "they meet and immediately fall into bed" storyline. Gabriel certainly isn't one of those overbearing manly men types being more artistic and Sara wasn't a complete hard-ass, kick-butt type lady which was a pleasant a departure from what seems to be the norm nowadays. This difference in personality from so many of the paranormals I've been reading was something I kind of enjoyed.

Although this book is part of a series, it certainly stands exceedingly well as a stand alone story. There are no lead ins plotwise or secondary characters you would expect to find in the next novel and it seemed very self-contained. I wouldn't have expected that it was part of a series if I hadn't known otherwise. I certainly wouldn't hesitate recommending this book for paranormal romance readers looking for something outside the vampire realm. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Aug 5, 2008 |
For the city of New Orleans and all my friends there
Anne Donovan would do anything for John Thiroux. She would die for him.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0515144622, Mass Market Paperback)

“One of of [romance’s] brightest stars”( ROMANCE REVIEWS TODAY) shows off her dark side.

Forever cursed.

Forever FALLEN.

New Orleans, 1840s. Sent to watch over the decadent city, the angel Gabriel loses himself in the liquid pleasure of absinthe. So when his mistress, Anne, is murdered—and all evidence points to him—a foggy Gabriel cannot be sure he didn’t do it. His penance: to be forever denied love. Then in modern-day New Orleans he meets forensic scientist Sara Michaels...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:22 -0400)

While trying to solve the centuries-old murder of her great-great-grandmother, scientist Sara Michaels meets Gabriel, a tormented angel who offers to help her find the truth--a dangerous alliance that could either be their salvation or destruction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,711,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible