Damien (The Nightwalkers, Book 4) by…

Damien (The Nightwalkers, Book 4) (edition 2008)

by Jacquelyn Frank

479None21,467 (3.99)8
Member:LRitte
Title:Damien (The Nightwalkers, Book 4)
Authors:Jacquelyn Frank
Info:Zebra Books (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Tags:Nightwalkers, Demon, shapeshifters, adult

Damien by Jacquelyn Frank

TBR
  Ebeth.Naylor | Sep 30, 2013 |
This was my favorite so far. I thought that I wouldn't like it because it was about the Vampire prince and the Lycathorpe princess and didn't have the demons or druid, but it ended up being the most engaging for me so far. It continually was moving and not staying in the bedroom. Just as Demons had screwed with their mates and mating process, Damien finds the vampire had done the same.

You also get more of the other's stories at the same time as Frank brings the continuation of her characters from previous books. ( )
  tivonut | Jul 25, 2013 |

This review can also be found on my blog.

Another great read in the Nightwalkers series. The Vampire Prince, Damien, has been around for many centuries, delighting in causing mischief and seeking pleasure wherever he can find it. With the threat of the Necromancers and the renegade Demon Ruth out for blood, he has turned his interests to protecting his people and aiding his allies. When Syreena, the Lycanthrope Princess, is kidnapped, he picks up the trail and rescues her. In an attempt to save her life, he drinks her blood, an act which is taboo among vampires - they are never to drink from other Nightwalkers. Infused with her blood, he notices a few changes in himself.

Syreena has lived a sheltered and cloistered life as a Monk of the Pride. When her sister rose to the throne, Siena appointed her as a political adviser, thus drawing her out of her seclusion. Syreena has been an anomaly since childhood. The cure for an illness had left her mutated. Not just in looks, but in her physical make up. Where "normal" Lycanthropes have three forms, she has an additional two. She also has powers no one but her knows off. For all these things, she's coveted and treasured. While some may find delight in that, Syreena doesn't. She feels like no one sees her for herself, but as something to study, train, breed. Everyone, until Damien.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story between Syreena and Damien. They had so many things in common, but also differences that made them an excellent choice for a couple. As a vampire, Damien has only a few basic needs – entertainment, diversity and sex. Syreena doesn't know how to make choices for herself. She doesn't see herself as important enough to be "selfish". As her sister's adviser and heir to the throne, she thinks only about what is best for their people and how best to aid Siena in political matters. When she meets Damien, he makes her feel things she's never felt before. The feeling is mutual. Vampires don't have mates or wed – their interests to vast and flighty to contemplate such things. Suddenly Damien finds himself drawn to Syreena, but he has to figure out if it is the vampire drawn to the fearless anomaly or if it is the man drawn to the woman, who has shown him nothing but trust and openness he's never had directed towards him.

The development of their relationship held a great appeal to me. I don't think it was rushed into based on hormones gone haywire, like in the previous books. Damien was gentle in his approach of trying to coax Syreena out of her shell, and getting her to assert herself – to see herself as special and not something to be sacrificed for the greater good of any race. In turn, he has to get used to acting responsibly when there is not only himself to take into consideration. I didn't like Jasmine much, though I understood her nature and her feelings towards Damien. Up until the end, I didn't know whether Jasmine had let her jealousy get the better of her or not. Ruth is back with even meaner tricks and our H/H will find themselves in a battle for survival. I look forward to seeing glimpses of this couple in the remaining two books. ( )
  MsRomanticReads | Apr 12, 2013 |
This is a deeply romantic and entertaining tale by Jacquelyn Frank, and in my opinion is second only to Noah as her best work.

Damien is the prince of the vampires, a race of cold and cunning immortals. Syreena is a princess of the Lycanthropes, a uniquely gifted shape-shifter, who falls in love with Damien after he rescues her from the evil Demon magic-user Ruth.Their romance is complicated by the tenuous peace between their races, and the fact that vampires are not meant to fall in love.

The characters are both strong and intriguing. They are determined and self-aware. The romance between them is truly beautiful. It is a dark twist on the timeless prince-meets-princess fairytale-as easy to relate to as it is fantastical.

Frank manages to continue to build upon her universe while still giving her central couple the spotlight. In fact, she uses what goes on between Syreena and Damien as a way to build the drama in the larger Nightwalker world. The elements blend pleasingly. ( )
  fairypenguin | May 16, 2010 |
This book really introduces us into other races of the Nightwalker races besides the Demons. This story focuses on Damien, Prince of the Vampires, and Syreena, Princess of the Lycanthropes.

Frank continues to move the story along at a fast pace, and with lots of action! This is definitely one of my most favorite paranormal series I've read! ( )
  luvtink81 | Feb 16, 2010 |

He'd never loved. But she was irresistible.

As reigning Vampire Prince, Damien has tasted every pleasure the world has to offer - consorting with kings and queens and delighting in sensual adventure. Now, tired of such pursuits, he devotes his energies to protecting his people. The war between human necromancers and Nightwalkers has escalated, and when the enemy makes a daring move, kidnapping Syreena, a Lycanthrope Princess, Damien boldly follows. He succeeds in rescuing her, but is unprepared for the erotic longing her lush sensuality awakens in him.

Gifted with rare abilities, Syreena grew up in a cloistered setting and was forbidden to form attachments to others, yet the connection Damien feels with her is immediate, intoxicating, and impossible for either to resist. But claiming Syreena as his mate could have shattering repercussions for every Nightwalker - and leave their enemies more dangerous than ever before.

In this third Nightwalkers installment, the Vampire Prince encounters a woman who tempts him with a desire unlike anything he has known. Together, they face a terrifying and relentless foe.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,504,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible