Death in Venice by Thomas Mann

Death in Venice (1912)

by Thomas Mann

3,994821,817 (3.74)1 / 222
    The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (roby72)
    Homo Faber by Max Frisch (spiphany)
    Thomas Mann in Venedig by Reinhard Pabst (hahehei)
    The Folding Star by Alan Hollinghurst (Anonymous user)
    By Nightfall: A Novel by Michael Cunningham (sturlington)
    Königsallee: Roman by Hans Pleschinski (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Königsallee, ein biografischer Roman über Karl Heuser und Thomas Mann. Karl Heuser soll Vorbild für die Josephsfigur gewesen sein, gleichzeitig aber auch eine der großen Lieben Thomas Manns. Wie in der autobiografischen Erzählung von Thomas Mann "Tod in Venedig" geht es um die homoerotische Beziehung zwischen einem älteren Mann und einem schönen Knaben.… (more)

English (70)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (82)
This short novella is alternatingly brilliant, poetic genius of deep emotions, and pretentious nonsense. I was bored at first but slowly became fascinated with the growing sense of emotional turmoil, loneliness and approaching doom. While Mann was philosophizing over the erotic nature of artistic inspiration, I was increasingly creeped out by Aschenbach's object of desire and where all this was going. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I was delighted with the multitude of allusions to Greek mythology ( )
  bookishblond | Oct 24, 2018 |
Bonita prosa, mucha simbologia, en especial relativa a mitologia griega, he dicho que la prosa es muy bonita?

Parece que tiene todo lo que me gustaria en un libro pero por otro lado me daba la sensacion de que lo estaba intentando demasiado sin tener realmente un gran transfondo. No importa realmente lo que la mayoria de los personajes piensan, supongo que solo queria hablar de una cosa en concreto hacerlo de forma bella y simbolica.
Yo creo que es un exito en este sentido y entiendo que a mucha gente le encante este libro, pero no consiguio conectar conmigo. ( )
  trusmis | Sep 28, 2018 |
At first, it was quite boring. After that, it became interesting with all the details about Venice, it was like I was there again. I felt how every word of his is making my heart warmer. And then there was this love about that boy that I couldn't understand. Was it father-son love, or was it some kind of wrong love, if you know what I mean. The ending was expected and disappointing. ( )
  InnahLovesYou | May 2, 2018 |
Match found in the German National Library.
  glsottawa | Apr 4, 2018 |
This man in the gate of the cemetery is almost the Motiv of the story. By him, Aschenbach is infected with a desire to travel. He examines himself minutely, in a way almost painful in its frankness, and one sees the whole soul of this author of fifty-three. And it seems, the artist has absorbed the man, and yet the man is there, like an exhausted organism on which a parasite has fed itself strong. Then begins a kind of Holbein Totentanz. The story is quite natural in appearance, and yet there is the gruesome sense of symbolism throughout...

It is as an artist rather than as a story-teller that Germany worships Thomas Mann. And yet it seems to me, this craving for form is the outcome, not of artistic conscience, but of a certain attitude to life... Thomas Mann seems to me the last sick sufferer from the complaint of Flaubert. The latter stood away from life as from a leprosy.
added by SnootyBaronet | editThe Bookman, D. H. Lawrence

Heim, Michael HenryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hom, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lowe-Porter, H. T.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Olsen, Kjell Erik KilliIllustr.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Olsen, Kjell Erik Killi illustr.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Solar, Juan José delTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ulsen, Henk vanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Death in Venice / Tristan / Tonio Kröger by Thomas Mann

Der Tod in Venedig (German Edition) by Thomas Mann (indirect)

Die Erzählungen by Thomas Mann (indirect)

Romanzi brevi by Thomas Mann

Death in Venice & A Man and His Dog: A Dual-Language Book by Thomas Mann

The Folio Book of Short Novels by Folio Society

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

On a spring afternoon in 19--, a year that for months flowered threateningly over our continent, Gustav Aschenbach--or von Aschenbach, as he had been known officially since his fiftieth birthday--set off alone from his dwelling in Prinzregentenstrasse in Munich on a rather long walk. [Norton Critical Edition]
Unknown work. Do not combine with the novella or the movie.

The world-famous masterpiece by Nobel laureate Thomas Mann -- here in a new translation by Michael Henry Heim

Published on the eve of World War I, a decade after Buddenbrooks had established Thomas Mann as a literary celebrity, Death in Venice tells the story of Gustav von Aschenbach, a successful but aging writer who follows his wanderlust to Venice in search of spiritual fulfillment that instead leads to his erotic doom.

In the decaying city, besieged by an unnamed epidemic, he becomes obsessed with an exquisite Polish boy, Tadzio. "It is a story of the voluptuousness of doom," Mann wrote. "But the problem I had especially in mind was that of the artist's dignity."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:02 -0400)

"Gustav von Aschenbach, a successful but aging writer, follows his wanderlust to Venice in search of spiritual fullfillment that instead leads to his erotic doom"--Dust jacket.

Legacy Library: Thomas Mann

Thomas Mann has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Thomas Mann's legacy profile.

See Thomas Mann's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,806,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible