Hiroshima by John Hersey

Hiroshima (1946)

by John Hersey

English (78)  Spanish (1)  All languages (79)
I read this all in one day. The total destruction from the atomic bomb is so hard to fathom. Entire buildings were obliterated by the force of the explosion. Structures that we would think of as safe were just gone.

This book follows the lives of 6 people in Hiroshima at the time the bomb went off. We follow them from the moment of explosion and then for the first year. It is told in a matter of fact, clinical style that only accentuates the horrors that they endured. I would hope reading this would deter people from ever using this type of bomb again. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
I read this book in high school, but have never forgotten it. If everyone read Hiroshima, would we cry out against nuclear proliferation? I would say yes. The description of scenes immediately after the fall of the bomb, and the scenes of its effects are stamped forever in my mind. This work of (ever so much) realism is an informative read, and leaves you wondering: what city will be next? ( )
  oacevedo | Apr 9, 2019 |
John Hersey's account of the lives of six survivors of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima was first published just a year after the events. Despite the passage of more than seventy years, the work endures, as moving now as it was when first published in 1946. The book was updated forty years later, so we now know what happened to all six people and their families. Probably the most shocking moment in the whole book was this one: In May 1955, one of the survivors, Kiyoshi Tanimoto, who was visiting the US, was given an unexpected starring role in the NBC television series "This Is Your Life". Tanimoto had no idea what was happening, and his shock is palpable when the studio brings out as a surprise guest Captain Robert Lewis, the copilot of the Enola Gay, which carried out the bombing. This incredibly insensitive movement comes at the end of a short book which cries out for sensitivity, for understanding, for empathy. Nuclear weapons must never be used again, ever. ( )
  ericlee | Sep 13, 2018 |
Hiroshima by John Hersey was printed again by THE NEW YORKER, which is where it first appeared, for the August 6th anniversary of the bombing. I read it perhaps fifty years ago and found it as compelling when I read it again this week. Hersey takes us to Hiroshima at the moment of the bomb exploring to life on the ground in the several days thereafter. It is horrific, ultra realistic and frightening to say the least. Nonetheless it does nothing to weaken by resolve that Truman did the right thing to bring the Second World War to an end. ( )
  SigmundFraud | Aug 10, 2018 |
Journalism at it's best and as it should be done. A must read for all human beings. ( )
  LJCain | May 17, 2018 |

John Herseyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Asner, EdwardNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Biggs, GeoffreyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
At exactly fifteen minutes past eight in the morning, on August 6, 1945, Japanese time, at the moment when the atomic bomb flashed above Hiroshima, Miss Toshiko Sasaki, a clerk in the personnel department of the East Asia Tin Works, had just sat down at her place in the plant office and was turning her head to speak to the girl at the next desk.

Hiroshima originally appeared in The New Yorker.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679721037, Mass Market Paperback)

When the atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, few could have anticipated its potential for devastation. Pulitzer prize-winning author John Hersey recorded the stories of Hiroshima residents shortly after the explosion and, in 1946, Hiroshima was published, giving the world first-hand accounts from people who had survived it. The words of Miss Sasaki, Dr. Fujii, Mrs. Nakamara, Father Kleinsorg, Dr. Sasaki, and the Reverend Tanimoto gave a face to the statistics that saturated the media and solicited an overwhelming public response. Whether you believe the bomb made the difference in the war or that it should never have been dropped, "Hiroshima" is a must read for all of us who live in the shadow of armed conflict.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:36 -0400)

This book tells the story of what happened in Hiroshima on August 6, 1945, when the city was destrobed by the first atom bomb.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014118437X, 0141041862

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,598,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible