Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One…

Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time (edition 2007)

by Jordan Rosenfeld

Member:LisaWharton
Title:Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time
Authors:Jordan Rosenfeld
Info:Writers Digest Books (2007), Paperback, 276 pages
Collections:On Writing, Your library, To read
Tags:scenes

Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time by Jordan E. Rosenfeld

This is one of the more useful Writer's Digest sponsored books on the topic of scene-writing. While far longer than many of the scene-writing books being published today, it does not waste words, but leads you brick by brick through the process of first baking bricks, and then how to stack them to create a complete, fulfilling story. Each topic is explained concisely, examples are given, and then the topics learned in each chapter are summarized at the end. I've already got a few sections dog-eared for future reference and anticipate I'll refer back to it often.

My only complaint is the examples skewed towards more 'literary' fiction, much of which I have never read. It did not detract at all from my understanding of the lesson, but I noticed I enjoyed more the examples which had been drawn from books with which I was familiar as with those examples I had a more complete picture. ( )
  Anna_Erishkigal | Sep 26, 2015 |
One of the most helpful writing books I read in a long time. ( )
  annertan | Jul 31, 2014 |
Writing scenes that move your story forward is given in many examples. Different scene structures listed with their components, is a valuable reference tool for completion of a novel. Individually scenes may be intense or mild, contemplative or dramatic, but when they are used in combination, they form a fantastic narrative that feels rich and complex. Entertain and inform the reader through clear and powerful scenes. This book should help build a vivid scene, and link each of your scenes to create a compelling narrative that will engage the reader. When researching for my novels, this book can help keep structure in my research, and reference as needed throughout my writing. I own a copy of this book and appreciate the expertise in its writing. ( )
  JanettLeeWawrzyniak | Feb 9, 2013 |
Very good job of covering the intricacies of developing scenes in fiction writing. ( )
  lewiscunningham | Feb 6, 2013 |
A wonderful book that helps in crafting your scenes, from the very beginning of your book to the end. It has very detailed help and shows not only how story arch works in the scene itself, but across your book as a whole. Rosenfeld uses great imagery and step-by-step demonstrations to help writers of all levels. ( )
  RavynWhyt | Apr 16, 2012 |

How-to for creating memorable scenes and stringing them together in an order that works. A fresh, clear take on a difficult facet of writing.

A guide to writing fiction.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,338,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible