Black Powder War by Naomi Novik

Black Powder War (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Naomi Novik

2,805None2,073 (3.84)148
Member:Flariariia
Title:Black Powder War
Authors:Naomi Novik
Info:Del Rey (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***

Black Powder War by Naomi Novik (2006)

19th century (30) adventure (32) alternate history (296) dragon (31) dragons (468) ebook (24) England (32) fantasy (839) fiction (309) historical (67) historical fantasy (104) historical fiction (119) Kindle (24) military (29) Napoleon (47) Napoleonic (29) Napoleonic Wars (156) novel (32) paperback (29) read (64) science fiction (38) series (70) sf (24) sff (52) Temeraire (202) Temeraire Series (36) to-read (43) Turkey (28) unread (36) war (54)
    Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Alternate histories of great military events tie these together.
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (adavmn)

English (94)  Dutch (1)  All languages (95)
Things I love about this book:
Iskierka - she's feisty, as a fire-breather should be
Granby - he gets his dragon!
Turkish ferals - oh, I hope they have more time in the next book

Things I dislike about this book:
Temeraire - he's a spoiled brat and I really don't like him at the moment AT. ALL.
Laurence - he's got to get that stick out soon

Things I'm indifferent about:
The kludging of two plots into one book. It's odd that there's the Ottoman plot and then there's the Prussian plot. Maybe if I knew more about the Napoleonic Wars this would make more sense. ( )
  lesmel | Dec 9, 2013 |
The third instalment in Naomi Novik's Temeraire series picks up the story where the second left off, with a beautifully evocative prologue giving way to yet another fast-paced adventure. We find Temeraire, Laurence and their crew readying themselves to leave China and make their way home to England on the Allegiance, when they receive a letter ordering them to change their plans. They are required in Istanbul to collect three precious dragon eggs, bought at great expense by the British government and very close to hatching. With no time to take the long sea route, Temeraire and his crew set out on a long overland journey through harsh, breathtaking landscapes of desert, scrub and mountain. Their urgency is twofold: they must hurry to make sure that the eggs are returned to Britain in good time for their hatching, so that they can be properly harnessed and trained by the Aerial Corps. And, more urgently, it transpires that the bereaved white dragon Lien - who blames Temeraire for her captain's death - has already left China and headed west, on business of her own which surely does not bode well for Laurence and his companions.

Anyone who has read the first two books in the Temeraire series will have a good idea of what to expect, but I think it is worthy of note that Novik continues to be reliably enjoyable. There is no sign of any strain in the series and she manages to blend some splendidly poetic writing with a real sense of pace, energy and excitement. Although I very much enjoyed the latter part of Throne of Jade, I thought that Black Powder War was a more successful book overall with a strong sense of momentum and a good balance of quieter sections and thrilling battles or skirmishes. Plus, a new character makes an appearance towards the end of the book who immediately won me over and of whom I hope we'll see much more. Can't say more without spoilers!

For a full review - which does contain some minor signalled spoilers - please see my blog:
http://theidlewoman.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/black-powder-war-naomi-novik.html ( )
  Leander2010 | Dec 4, 2013 |
I adore this series. Yes, it's silly at times, but overall, it's got great characters and a fun storyline. And Simon Vance narrates it spectacularly, in that lovely accent of his. My thoughts on the series as a whole are on Erin Reads. ( )
  erelsi183 | Nov 18, 2013 |
I'm a huge fan of the Temeraire series. I absolutely loved the first two books and was really looking forward to starting Black Powder War, but this fell short of my expectations quickly and it never picked up from there.
Truth be told, had this been a novella, it would have been deeply satisfying. The problem with this book is the pacing, and the lack of plot - the former being a direct consequence of the latter. When I finished the book, I wondered what I'd learned, what had happened that hadn't before, and compared the situation at the end of the book (which was such a huge anticlimax I thought for a moment my Kindle copy was missing a whole section) with the one we're left with at the end of the previous novel, Throne of Jade, and found myself wondering if there really was a use for Black Powder War. There isn't. What's done here has been done, and better, in the first two books.

This is really forgettable. Three stars out of loyalty. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
The third book in the Temeraire series. When we last left Lawrence and Temeraire, they were in China making peace with the Emperor. Suddenly, they are urgently summoned back to England via Istanbul, where they are to pick up three valuable dragon eggs the British have purchased. They decide to travel over land, having many adventures along the way, and then get caught up in that whole Napoleonic War thing.

I found most of the book to be a bit dull (traveling through deserts, nearly running out of food, etc.), but the ending was very thrilling. As usual Temeraire brings both humor and insight to the otherwise period-heavy writing through his misunderstanding of and frustration with human society. ( )
  norabelle414 | Oct 16, 2013 |

Naomi Novikprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for my mother
in small return for many bajki cudowne
Even looking into the gardens at night, Laurence could not imagine himself home; too many bright lanterns looking out from the trees, red and gold under the upturned roof-corners; the sound of laughter behind him like a foreign country.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345481305, Mass Market Paperback)

“A splendid series.”
–Anne McCaffrey

“Naomi Novik has done for the Napoleonic Wars what Anne McCaffrey did for science fiction: constructed an alternate reality in which dragons are real in a saga that is impressively original, fully developed, and peopled with characters you care about.”
–David Weber, author of the Honor Harrington series

After their fateful adventure in China, Capt. Will Laurence of His Majesty’s Aerial Corps and his extraordinary dragon, Temeraire, are waylaid by a mysterious envoy bearing urgent new orders from Britain. Three valuable dragon eggs have been purchased from the Ottoman Empire, and Laurence and Temeraire must detour to Istanbul to escort the precious cargo back to England. Time is of the essence if the eggs are to be borne home before hatching.

Yet disaster threatens the mission at every turn–thanks to the diabolical machinations of the Chinese dragon Lien, who blames Temeraire for her master’s death and vows to ally herself with Napoleon and take vengeance. Then, faced with shattering betrayal in an unexpected place, Laurence, Temeraire, and their squad must launch a daring offensive. But what chance do they have against the massed forces of Bonaparte’s implacable army?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:29 -0400)

In the wake of their adventure in China, Captain Will Laurence of His Majesty's Aerial Corps and his dragon, Temeraire, are sent on a mission to protect three valuable dragon eggs on a trip back to England from the Ottoman Empire, but the vengeful Chinese dragon Lien allies herself with Napoleon to stop them.… (more)

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,406,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible