Black Powder War by Naomi Novik

Black Powder War (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Naomi Novik

Member:Flariariia
Title:Black Powder War
Authors:Naomi Novik
Info:Del Rey (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***

Black Powder War by Naomi Novik (2006)

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Alternate histories of great military events tie these together.
    Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind (adavmn)

English (109)  Dutch (1)  All languages (110)
The Napoleonic Wars with dragons series continues with this third entry and sees the dynamic duo of Temeraire and Laurence leaving China with the rest of the crew when they receive orders to collect three dragon eggs from their Turkish allies. Seemingly a strange request as there would surely be others closer and time is a pressing concern in the matter as at least one of the eggs is near hatching. Having to take the overland route a guide is hired to see them through troublesome region though not without misgivings to his trustworthiness. It also seems that Lien, the dragon left bereft of her captain in the previous book, is travelling in the same direction and may plan to make trouble for them along the way. After various travails they end up being slap bang in the middle of the Prussian campaign. Can Temeraire’s influence turn the tide against the French or will Lien’s interference only hasten the ongoing march of Napoleon’s armies?

This is a decent continuation of the series but it’s not a great one. There is a sense of stop-start that pervades this book which seems a consequence of the events in which the characters find themselves embroiled. The world building continues to be good and there are some interesting additions to the cast that will hopefully continue to be utilised in future novels. There’s a lot of loose ends left at the conclusion to this book and I’m pleased that there is still enough interest for me to be continuing with the series at some point. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Apr 5, 2016 |
My review of this Black Powder War is very much the same as Throne of Jade. I adored His Majesty's Dragon, but though I still enjoyed the writing, characters and world building of these latter books, the continued shift toward the war and politics as the primary focus of the story bored me. Plus, the fact that the books all seem to end without conclusion is annoying. I'm just not willing to dedicate myself to 5 more books in the hope of an ending. And that's if the 8th book, published just this year, is an actual conclusion, as opposed to just the most recent book with more to come. So having reached the last page of my third 300 book in the series I am calling it quits.

Again, the voice of these characters is wonderful. Novik has really created very detailed draconic strata based largely on dragon size and ability. There is a lot of subtle humour and history is deftly merged with fantasy. So for the right reader this is probably a full-on five star book, as book one was for me. I, however, can't drag my rating up that high for something I wasn't less disappointed in. ( )
  SadieSForsythe | Feb 24, 2016 |
Uneven. it was bleak in spots. Get them home to England already. ( )
  ewillse | Jan 18, 2016 |
This is the third book in a set of nine novels in a series set during the English/French Napoleonic Wars, with each side mustering aerial forces made up of dragons and their navigational teams.

The saga is centered on the dragon Temeraire and his captain, Will Laurence. At the end of the first book, they discovered that Temeraire is not an Imperial Dragon as they thought, but a Celestial, one of only nine in the world. Laurence and Temeraire traveled to China to establish the legitimacy of their relationship, and a diplomatic compromise was achieved. In this book, the two head back to Britain, but take an overland route because of the urgent matter of some dragon eggs about to hatch in Istanbul. Laurence hires a guide, Tharkay, of questionable character, and along the way they also pick up some questionable feral dragons as companions. Both men and beasts prove to be better than anyone thought, however, and they are all pressed into service to help the Prussian campaign against Napoleon. ( )
  nbmars | Jan 3, 2016 |
And on to the third in the Temeraire series. The story picks up close on where the last left off, with our scaly hero in China – until his captain, Will Laurence, receives orders to go pick up three dragon eggs from Istanbul. The orders raise questions: for one, why them, when there are dragons closer? But an order is an order, and haste is required if, as they come to understand, one of the eggs is not far from hatching, and Laurence scrambles together his crew, leave behind their transport ship, find a guide who will hopefully be reliable, and head off.

These books – as I'll probably repeat if I get around to reviewing the other two – are quintessential Boys' Own Adventure Stories. Action! Adventure! Battle! Dragons! Exotic locales, fierce fighting, loyal crews struggling against a worthy foe, surprise enemies and surprise allies – it's like something Robert Louis Stevenson might write. If he'd written about dragons.

In this one, though, the nonstop action begins to become repetitive. Laurence just can't catch a break, and it starts to get a little old, to be blunt. I've always ground my teeth a little through the movies and books where Our Hero gets shot and beaten up and hit by a car and blown up and thrown out a window and beaten up again, till at the end he's limping and hugging broken ribs and only seeing out of one eye and covered with blood – but he still kicks the bad guys' butts! 'Cause he's the Hero! Okay. This is a bit like what happens to Laurence. In every book. And when it's not Laurence being hurt it's Temeraire. And when they're not being hurt they're being tangled thoroughly in bureaucratic red tape. Taken here and there and now and then these are fun books. Read one after another, they tend to become repetitive. ( )
  Stewartry | Dec 2, 2015 |

Naomi Novikprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Davidson, AndrewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harman, DominicCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vance, SimonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for my mother
in small return for many bajki cudowne
Even looking into the gardens at night, Laurence could not imagine himself home; too many bright lanterns looking out from the trees, red and gold under the upturned roof-corners; the sound of laughter behind him like a foreign country.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345481305, Mass Market Paperback)

“A splendid series.”
–Anne McCaffrey

“Naomi Novik has done for the Napoleonic Wars what Anne McCaffrey did for science fiction: constructed an alternate reality in which dragons are real in a saga that is impressively original, fully developed, and peopled with characters you care about.”
–David Weber, author of the Honor Harrington series

After their fateful adventure in China, Capt. Will Laurence of His Majesty’s Aerial Corps and his extraordinary dragon, Temeraire, are waylaid by a mysterious envoy bearing urgent new orders from Britain. Three valuable dragon eggs have been purchased from the Ottoman Empire, and Laurence and Temeraire must detour to Istanbul to escort the precious cargo back to England. Time is of the essence if the eggs are to be borne home before hatching.

Yet disaster threatens the mission at every turn–thanks to the diabolical machinations of the Chinese dragon Lien, who blames Temeraire for her master’s death and vows to ally herself with Napoleon and take vengeance. Then, faced with shattering betrayal in an unexpected place, Laurence, Temeraire, and their squad must launch a daring offensive. But what chance do they have against the massed forces of Bonaparte’s implacable army?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:10 -0400)

In the wake of their adventure in China, Captain Will Laurence of His Majesty's Aerial Corps and his dragon, Temeraire, are sent on a mission to protect three valuable dragon eggs on a trip back to England from the Ottoman Empire, but the vengeful Chinese dragon Lien allies herself with Napoleon to stop them.… (more)

Naomi Novik is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,820,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible