Turning Tables by Heather MacDowell

Turning Tables (edition 2008)

by Heather MacDowell, Rose MacDowell

Member:julyso
Title:Turning Tables
Authors:Heather MacDowell
Other authors:Rose MacDowell
Info:The Dial Press (2008), Hardcover, 336 pages

Turning Tables by Heather MacDowell

1st (1) ABC (1) American fiction (1) ARC (2) chick lit (12) contemporary (2) contemporary fiction (1) crap (1) DONE (1) February (1) fiction (10) fluff (1) food (4) fun (1) funny (1) humor (1) library (2) New York (3) novel (2) NYC (1) read in 2008 (2) relationships (1) restaurants (5) Store (1) to-read (5) Traded (1) ugh (1) unread (1) waiting (1) waitress (2)
    Big Boned by Meg Cabot (kathleen.morrow)
    kathleen.morrow: I'd really recommend anything by Meg Cabot for people who enjoyed this book, but Big Boned comes to mind especially. Similar humorous writing styles, great characterization, interesting - but light - plots.

I've been looking for new authors and came across this book. Although the romance aspect took backseat to the story about working in a high end restaurant, it hit the right notes for me. I liked reading about Erin Edwards' training as a waitress for the most part. I didn't totally buy the ending -- she seemed a little too confident for me to believe that she was just waiting for that particular realization all along -- but it wasn't so off-base that I couldn't enjoy the book overall. Watching how the waitstaff was treated by the owners wasn't my favorite part either -- I can't imagine allowing people to treat others so poorly. But, hey, I watch Top Chef; I guess I'm not entirely surprised. ... Anyway, I would recommend this for anyone looking for a light romance. ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Feb 27, 2011 |
Young up and comer loses her job in NYC and finds herself waiting on tables in an expensive restaurant. Demanding customers, the usual hideous bosses, good and bad co-workers, puzzled friends and family - sounds like a script for a new tv comedy. Still it is a fun and juicy behind the scenes peek at high end dining. ( )
  triscuit | Feb 10, 2010 |
Turning Tables in a fun infectious novel that makes me never want to be a waitress. The book is filled with many cringe-worthy and embarrassing situations that made me empathize with Erin and want her to succeed. My favorite character was Cato, Erin's waiting partner - in - crime, who acts as her mentor and the book's comedy relief. The plot is fast paced but sometimes left minor characters in its wake. Another worry was Erin's obsession with her status as a waitress in New York society. I felt this story line made Erin seem whiny at times and is never fully resolved in the end. ( )
  jedziedz | Apr 27, 2009 |
Turning Tables is a fun book about Erin Edwards, a marketing manager who loses her job and turns to waitressing to make ends meet. Erin gets a job at the upscale Roulette through a family friend. She finds out waitressing isn't so easy, but she does find some help in the form of Cato, a seasoned veteran who helps her along. Erin also meets some fellas, has some adventures, gets a dog (and a fish), and learns some important things about herself along the way.

This book is a fast read and lots of fun. I loved the characters, especially Erin and the chef, Carl. I've been a waitress and it rang true for me in many ways. Others have said the ending was cheesy, but I like cheesy:) All in all, a great chick lit book! ( )
  julyso | Sep 24, 2008 |

Downsized from her boutique firm, Erin panics as she watches her career ambitions plunge into free fall. Why else would the savvy twenty-eight-year-old take a job as…a waitress? A favorable word from a family friend gets Erin in the door at Roulette, Madison Avenue’s newest exclusive haunt and home to a celebrity chef with a talent for cutting-edge cuisine and spotting the weakest link.

Life behind the apron is even worse than she imagined–from mangling orders to overimbibing at a wine seminar, Erin finds herself in hot water with the egomaniacal chef and the owner’s outrageous wife. And then there’s the dismissive, surly clientele, all but Daniel Fratelli, a flirtatious TV news producer. Is Daniel really as down-to-earth as he seems? Or will he eventually succumb to one of the many glamorous uptown girls in his own social circle?

Determined to prove that she won’t crack under pressure, Erin begins to master the art of waitressing–becoming part shrink, part slave, and part foie gras hustler. But her continuing series of disastrous missteps quickly sends her right back to the bottom of the food chain. Forced to prove her commitment by organizing the storage area and alphabetizing produce after hours, Erin wonders if she’ll ever make it back to the real world. But with a little help from her quirky best friend, she comes up with an idea that might take her life in a whole new direction–and that’s just the first course….

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:17 -0400)

"Downsized from her boutique firm, Erin panics as she watches her career ambitions plunge into free fall. Why else would the savvy twenty-eight-year-old take a job as...a waitress? A favorable word from a family friend gets Erin in the door at Roulette, Madison Avenue's newest exclusive haunt and home to a celebrity chef with a talent for cutting-edge cuisine and spotting the weakest link." "Life behind the apron is even worse than she imagined - from mangling orders to overimbibing at a wine seminar, Erin finds herself in hot water with the egomaniacal chef and the owner's outrageous wife. And then there's the dismissive, surly clientele, all but Daniel Fratelli, a flirtatious TV news producer. Is Daniel really as down-to-earth as he seems? Or will he eventually succumb to one of the many glamorous uptown girls in his own social circle?" "Determined to prove that she won't crack under pressure, Erin begins to master the art of waitressing - becoming part shrink, part slave, and part foie gras hustler. But her continuing series of disastrous missteps quickly sends her right back to the bottom of the food chain. Forced to prove her commitment by organizing the storage area and alphabetizing produce after hours, Erin wonders if she'll ever make it back to the real world. But with a little help from her quirky best friend, she comes up with an idea that might take her life in a whole new direction - and that's just the first course."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,243,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible