Amulet, Tome 1 : Le gardien de la pierre by…

Amulet, Tome 1 : Le gardien de la pierre (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Kazu Kibuishi

Series: Amulet (1)

"After the tragic death of their father, Emily and Navin move with their mother to the home of her deceased great-grandfather, but the strange house proves to be dangerous. Before long, a sinister creature lures the kids' mom through a door in the basement. Em and Navin, desperate not to lose her, follow her into an underground world inhabited by demons, robots, and talking animals. Eventually, they enlist the help of a small mechanical rabbit named Miskit. Together with Miskit, they face the most terrifying monster of all, and Em finally has the chance to save someone she loves" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)
Member:cvedovini
Title:Amulet, Tome 1 : Le gardien de la pierre
Authors:Kazu Kibuishi
Info:Akileos (2008), Album, 185 pages
Collections:Bandes Dessinées, Your library

Amulet, Book One: The Stonekeeper by Kazu Kibuishi (2008)

English (154)  Swedish (1)  All languages (155)
Really enjoyed this one! Should've gotten all of them from the library at the same time... ( )
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
My eight year old grandson gave me this when I showed an interest in the fourth one in the series. “You won’t understand, “ he explained. By coincidence,we watched the movie Kubo and the Two strings, a beautifully animated film, which had similar story elements - a child losing first one and then the other parent, magic involved in their “quests”, evil a palpable thread. I’m immersed in reading what my grandchildren read. This one disturbs me. The jury is out on a rating.
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
Emily loses her father in a car accident that she and her mother escape. Years later, Emily, her mother, and her younger brother Navin move to the family's old home - a cost-saving measure. But the house holds plenty of secrets, and when a creature takes their mother, Emily and Navin go on a mission to rescue her - along with an amulet that Emily finds in the house, the legacy of her great-grandfather Silas, who disappeared - but who may not be dead. The siblings venture into an alternate world to find their mother and bring her back. ( )
  JennyArch | Mar 13, 2019 |
It's got all the classic middle grade fantasy steampunk adventure vibes. It feels like a Narnia, Lord of the Rings, Avatar the Last Airbender merge with steampunk elements. I first read this when I was like 14 or 15, because my brother brought the first two books in this series home from the library, and we both really loved it. We never finished the series, and I'm glad I stumbled upon it again, because it was just as great as I remember. I really like the characters and the art. Now to finish the rest of the series! ( )
  Faith_Murri | Jan 5, 2019 |
This is a rather dark little graphic novel. A pair of siblings is forced to deal with loss and starting over after their father dies in a tragic accident. Their mother moves them to a new home that is shrouded in mystery which is when the true adventure begins.

The animations are beautifully simple and could almost tell the story without words.

This was recommended to me by a boy in our tween book club who doesn't really read much, but he loves this series. He convinced the rest of the book club to read this for our December book of the month.

It was a quick read and really seems to be appealing to reluctant readers. ( )
  aurorapaigem | Dec 1, 2018 |
For all its flaws, this is a well-written book. It’s quick-paced and keeps your interest from the first page until the last. You don’t have to worry about young readers getting bored in the middle and not finishing the book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,199,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible