The Stonekeeper (Amulet, Book 1) by Kazu…

The Stonekeeper (Amulet, Book 1) (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Kazu Kibuishi

Series: Amulet (1)

Member:Brookecl
Title:The Stonekeeper (Amulet, Book 1)
Authors:Kazu Kibuishi
Info:GRAPHIX (2008), Paperback, 192 pages

Amulet, Book One: The Stonekeeper by Kazu Kibuishi (2008)

English (128)  Swedish (1)  All (129)
Summary: This is a tale of a family. At the beginning their is tragic accident. Which causes the family to move into their great-grandfathers house. What they didn't know is that the house proves to be dangerous. The daughter find out the she is a stone keeper and essential to the survival of the world. Which then leads her on a treaters adventure.
Review: I love the book. Its always a great reading. The animation and action keeps you on your toes and makes you wonder what will happen in the next book.
Class: Can be used for just a fun book to read for students who like comic and action.
Media: Graphic
Grade: intermidiate
Genre: Fantasy
  little_manb | Apr 10, 2017 |
Summary: When Emily's family slides off the road in a snowstorm, their lives change for ever. With her father's death, Emily, her mom, and her brother Naven move to a small town where her great-grandfather used to live. Nobody knows how he disappeared, but as they begin to clean out his old house, they come across his old lab, and a stone amulet. The story quickly turns as a mysterious creature lures their mother into another world. Em and Naven will not be separated from their mother, and Emily quickly discovers that the Stone Amulet has great power and is guiding her. They discover talking animals, robots, and mechanical wonders as they go on this quest to rescue their mom.
Personal Response: I ordered graphic novels for our public library for three years, and these books were never on the shelves. I had three copies of each, and I was replacing them for damage, or loss quite often. I always thought the covers were ugly, and so I never had an interest in reading any of them. After reading the first book in the series, I understand entirely why they are so popular. The pacing between the illustrations and perfectly believable verbal interactions between the characters hooked me. The story is somewhat dark and tragic, and yet the hope offered through the use of a magical amulet is understandably alluring to children who wish for a fantastical escape from their daily lives. What kid does not dream of magic, or the ability to escape the hardships of this life. Talking animals, robots, and a helpful pink rabbit make this book perfect. I usually enjoy comic strip style "graphic novel" over the true graphic novel (one that tells a story), but this series I think has me hooked.
Curriculum Connection: For struggling readers (4th-6th grades) this is the book to put in their hands. The artwork is balanced nicely with a relatable story. Escapism is necessary, and this book is one where the imagination is really turned on. I understand the popularity of these books. This series allow for "the movie" to be rolling in the minds of children who are wiling to give this series a try. This book should be mentioned before or after formal library lessons to all students in a quick one-minute booktalk. ( )
  rjrubylou | Feb 22, 2017 |
Amulet is a graphic novel. It is an fantasy/adventure tale of being loyal to your family, having courage, and following your destiny.
  edwardcandler | Jan 18, 2017 |
LOVED this! The beginning is super sad (that's not a spoiler) but the rest is so interesting and different. I loved the characters and how (even though its a graphic novel) each one feels developed. I will definitely keep going with the series! ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
This was a happy random find at my local library - it is a middle grade graphic novel series about a girls whose family is sucked into another world and now must take on the role of the Stonekeeper, a powerful hero.

This was a beautiful book, the artwork is wonderful for this book and the color schemes add to the emotion of the plot so very well. The characters are easy to follow - Emily is a pre-teen girl who has a lot of angst from her fathers passing, Navin is her brother who is young but strong, and their mother only makes a quick appearance in this installment but she is the reason this all began and they are trying to help her.

This was a fun filled, action-packed adventure fantasy that I think all young readers will enjoy - there is something for everyone.

Also cute website: https://www.scholastic.com/amulet/ ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
For all its flaws, this is a well-written book. It’s quick-paced and keeps your interest from the first page until the last. You don’t have to worry about young readers getting bored in the middle and not finishing the book.

Graphic novel star Kazu Kibuishi creates a world of terrible, man-eating demons, a mechanical rabbit, a talking fox, a giant robot---and two ordinary children on a mission.

Eventually, they enlist the help of a small mechanical rabbit named Miskit. Together with Miskit, they face the most terrifying monster of all, and Em finally has the chance to save someone she loves.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:23 -0400)

"After the tragic death of their father, Emily and Navin move with their mother to the home of her deceased great-grandfather, but the strange house proves to be dangerous. Before long, a sinister creature lures the kids' mom through a door in the basement. Em and Navin, desperate not to lose her, follow her into an underground world inhabited by demons, robots, and talking animals. Eventually, they enlist the help of a small mechanical rabbit named Miskit. Together with Miskit, they face the most terrifying monster of all, and Em finally has the chance to save someone she loves" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,835,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible