Silver Wedding by Maeve Binchy

Silver Wedding (1988)

by Maeve Binchy

English (9)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  All languages (13)
In Silver Wedding, by Maeve Binchy, Desmond and Deidre are the unlikely couple who are about to celebrate the 25th anniversary of their wedding; their eldest daughter Anna takes upon herself the task of organizing a party. She insists on having the family there, although her brother Brendan is practically a recluse living on the tiny family farm in the west of Ireland and her sister Helen, an aspiring nun, is a complete wreck pretty much all the time. Still, Anna is determined to go through with it, and in addition to her siblings, she contacts Father Hurley, who performed the wedding ceremony so many years ago; Maureen, Deidre's "best friend"; and Frank, Desmond's "best friend." Now the only question is, will they all survive the anniversary?.... Having discovered Maeve Binchy last year, I am slowly (or rather quickly, actually) making my way through her books; this one, published in 1988, is the first that I've read that is not set in Ireland (most of the back stories take place in Ireland, but the family is living in London now) and it's the first that doesn't include previously-met characters in at least walk-on roles. She uses her usual technique of giving each character a chapter, which slowly reveals each of their stories and their relationships with each other, and as usual there are good and bad traits in each of them. I wouldn't put this among her very best work, but nevertheless I quite enjoyed it, so recommended. ( )
  thefirstalicat | Jan 10, 2013 |
The main focus of this book is on the anticipated silver wedding celebrations of the two main characters, who live not in Ireland, this time, but in 'Darkest Pinner'. Each chapter concentrates on a different member of the family/friends, expanding the picture to include the characters' own individual sub-dramas.

The triumph of this novel is in the creation of so many characters you can empathise with and care about, and the shades of light and dark in all their personalities. ( )
  jayne_charles | Sep 3, 2010 |
VERY GOOD
  DONNAMONTEIRO | Aug 14, 2010 |
I read this book so long ago I almost don't remember it therefore I rate it only 3 stars because I can't be sure that it deserves more. I must have liked it or I wouldn't have continued to read Maeve Binchy. ( )
  kp9949 | Jul 18, 2010 |
Desmond and Deirdre Doyle are about to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary. Binchy's novel profiles each of the important people involved in the original wedding and the couple's three children. The groom, bride, each of the adult offspring, the best man and the maid of honor all have individual chapters telling their story.

I've always had a soft spot for Binchy. I love her character-driven tales and have read almost everything she's written. This is definitely not one of my favorites. It's a quick read with some interesting aspects, but I won't remember the characters. If you want to try her out I would recommend Evening Class, Circle of Friends or Tara Road. ( )
  bookworm12 | Jun 3, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440207770, Mass Market Paperback)

There was never any question that Deirdre and Desmond Doyle would celebrate a gala twenty-fifth anniversary. Naturally, their daughter Anna, would plan their grand affair. Of all three Doyle children, Anna knew exactly what their mother wished—even as she lived her own secret life. Will Brendan, the rebellious son, even bother to return to London? Will Helen, the hapless would-be nun, embarrass them all? This is Deirdre’s day, a triumph for a woman obsessed with keeping up appearances, her silvery revenge after “marrying down” twenty-five years ago. She’s determined to show them all: the maid of honor, still unmarried, still gorgeous, now a successful London business woman…the best man, once Desmond’s close friend, now his boss…their reluctant priest, who harbors his own guilty secret.

As family and friends gather, a lifetime of lies takes its toll. But what begins as a family charade brings with it the transforming power of love—and truth.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:37 -0400)

There was never any question that Deirdre and Desmond Doyle would celebrate a gala twenty fifth anniversary.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,496,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible