Autobiography of a Fat Bride: True Tales of…

Autobiography of a Fat Bride: True Tales of a Pretend Adulthood

by Laurie Notaro

7052013,430 (4.02)17
(3) 2009 (4) autobiography (13) biography (9) biography/memoir (3) chick lit (11) comedy (8) essay (5) essays (40) family (3) favorite (6) fiction (7) funny (8) humor (103) library (4) life (3) marriage (13) memoir (77) non-fiction (54) own (7) read (16) read in 2007 (4) short stories (9) swapped (3) to-read (13) unread (6) want (3) wedding (7) wishlist (4) women (8)

While I didn't like this one as much as the first one (heartbreak is always so much funnier than finding love and happiness, don't you think?), it was still a fun, funny, quick read. I love the way her vignettes all mesh together to tell one complete story, but each chapter is also a short story that can stand on its own. It's definitely worth a read. ( )
  amyolivia | Oct 25, 2013 |
Pros:
* More than just weddings
* Short vignettes
* Stories are relatable

Cons:
* I wish some of the stories were more in-depth
* Could have used more description in places.

I loved the commentary on adulthood and expectations (whether internal or external). ( )
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
First book of her's and I laughed alot. She has a great way with words and is completely honest and self-deprecating. We're the same person really except I don't have a writing career. Yet. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
Not as much fun as some of her other books, but mostly enjoyable. ( )
  pidgeon92 | Apr 1, 2013 |
Thank god for Laurie Notaro...it is nice to know that I am not the only crappy adult that exists. She is so funny and personable that I want to hang out with her, if only to confirm my bad "adultness". She deals with everything from the first nephew in the family to Christmas to taxes to getting married. I adore her work. I will read anything she writes. LOVE IT!! ( )
  bookwormteri | Nov 19, 2012 |
I am the sucker.
If Sensitive Eyes Guy didn't see me naked, it's a strong bet that I at least flashed him a boob, and if I did, I certainly hope it was the bigger -- and firmer -- of the two.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037576092X, Paperback)

The author of the New York Times bestseller The Idiot Girls’ Action-Adventure Club tackles her biggest challenge yet: grown-up life.

In Autobiography of a Fat Bride, Laurie Notaro tries painfully to make the transition from all-night partyer and bar-stool regular to mortgagee with plumbing problems and no air-conditioning. Laurie finds grown-up life just as harrowing as her reckless youth, as she meets Mr. Right, moves in, settles down, and crosses the toe-stubbing threshold of matrimony. From her mother's grade-school warning to avoid kids in tie-dyed shirts because their hippie parents spent their food money on drugs and art supplies; to her night-before-the-wedding panic over whether her religion is the one where you step on the glass; to her unfortunate overpreparation for the mandatory drug-screening urine test at work; to her audition as a Playboy centerfold as research for a newspaper story, Autobiography of a Fat Bride has the same zits-and-all candor and outrageous humor that made Idiot Girls an instant cult phenomenon.

In Autobiography of a Fat Bride, Laurie contemplates family, home improvement, and the horrible tyrannies of cosmetic saleswomen. She finds that life doesn't necessarily get any easier as you get older. But it does get funnier.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:39 -0400)

A selection of autobiographical essays, stories, and anecdotes provides a look at the pitfalls and pains of trying to live a grown-up life, contemplating such topics as children, home improvement, religion, and cosmetic saleswomen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,500,972 books! | Top bar: Always visible