Autobiography of a Fat Bride: True Tales of…

Autobiography of a Fat Bride: True Tales of a Pretend Adulthood

by Laurie Notaro

7152013,174 (4.03)17

This is the type of book I've been looking for! Recommended by a bookcrosser at a meetup, I went out and bought it the next day. Notaro's hilarious autobiography is broken into 1 1/2 - 3 page essays that I can read a bit at a time. I've been needing a book that I can pick up and put down when I can find a minute here and there to read.

Laurie Notaro's stories are about mundane daily occurrences that normal adults seemed buried in and would hardly take the time to discuss, but she turns them into outrageously funny stories. I found myself relating to her totally, even telling people some of her stories as if she were a friend, like, "Did you know that if you flush your tampons.....?" "I heard that a cat could 'just slip away' if given anesthesia for a teeth-cleaning..."

People say that you either love or hate Notaro's writing. I disagree--her stories are hit or miss with me; I'm not passionate about her either way. This particular book gets old/irritating if you read it at once as an autobiography since the topics are all over the place and she repeats some information several times as if each little chapter or essay were written at completely different times. When reading only one essay in a sitting or in random order, that feeling of being at a comedy act that I had when I read the first few chapters comes back.

If read front to back, the chapters after the wedding really dragged and I almost released it without finishing it. Don't be fooled! It gets much better starting with "Red Mice."

My favorites--the ones that had me laughing hysterically all by myself at the park (I had to close the book and hold my stomach as I was rolled over in a fit of laughter)and ones that were worth reading aloud to friends:

"White noise, white soap....." (I read this to my friend two days before her wedding)
"As time goes by"
"My mother, my self, my god" (the best)
  engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |
* More than just weddings
* Short vignettes
* Stories are relatable

* I wish some of the stories were more in-depth
* Could have used more description in places.

I loved the commentary on adulthood and expectations (whether internal or external). ( )
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
First book of her's and I laughed alot. She has a great way with words and is completely honest and self-deprecating. We're the same person really except I don't have a writing career. Yet. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
Not as much fun as some of her other books, but mostly enjoyable. ( )
  pidgeon92 | Apr 1, 2013 |
Thank god for Laurie Notaro...it is nice to know that I am not the only crappy adult that exists. She is so funny and personable that I want to hang out with her, if only to confirm my bad "adultness". She deals with everything from the first nephew in the family to Christmas to taxes to getting married. I adore her work. I will read anything she writes. LOVE IT!! ( )
  bookwormteri | Nov 19, 2012 |
I am the sucker.
If Sensitive Eyes Guy didn't see me naked, it's a strong bet that I at least flashed him a boob, and if I did, I certainly hope it was the bigger -- and firmer -- of the two.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037576092X, Paperback)

The author of the New York Times bestseller The Idiot Girls’ Action-Adventure Club tackles her biggest challenge yet: grown-up life.

In Autobiography of a Fat Bride, Laurie Notaro tries painfully to make the transition from all-night partyer and bar-stool regular to mortgagee with plumbing problems and no air-conditioning. Laurie finds grown-up life just as harrowing as her reckless youth, as she meets Mr. Right, moves in, settles down, and crosses the toe-stubbing threshold of matrimony. From her mother's grade-school warning to avoid kids in tie-dyed shirts because their hippie parents spent their food money on drugs and art supplies; to her night-before-the-wedding panic over whether her religion is the one where you step on the glass; to her unfortunate overpreparation for the mandatory drug-screening urine test at work; to her audition as a Playboy centerfold as research for a newspaper story, Autobiography of a Fat Bride has the same zits-and-all candor and outrageous humor that made Idiot Girls an instant cult phenomenon.

In Autobiography of a Fat Bride, Laurie contemplates family, home improvement, and the horrible tyrannies of cosmetic saleswomen. She finds that life doesn't necessarily get any easier as you get older. But it does get funnier.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:37 -0400)

A selection of autobiographical essays, stories, and anecdotes provides a look at the pitfalls and pains of trying to live a grown-up life, contemplating such topics as children, home improvement, religion, and cosmetic saleswomen.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,947,490 books! | Top bar: Always visible