Autobiography of a Fat Bride: True Tales of…

Autobiography of a Fat Bride: True Tales of a Pretend Adulthood

by Laurie Notaro

7101913,267 (4.03)17

Pros:
* More than just weddings
* Short vignettes
* Stories are relatable

Cons:
* I wish some of the stories were more in-depth
* Could have used more description in places.

I loved the commentary on adulthood and expectations (whether internal or external). ( )
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
First book of her's and I laughed alot. She has a great way with words and is completely honest and self-deprecating. We're the same person really except I don't have a writing career. Yet. ( )
  akmargie | Apr 4, 2013 |
Not as much fun as some of her other books, but mostly enjoyable. ( )
  pidgeon92 | Apr 1, 2013 |
Thank god for Laurie Notaro...it is nice to know that I am not the only crappy adult that exists. She is so funny and personable that I want to hang out with her, if only to confirm my bad "adultness". She deals with everything from the first nephew in the family to Christmas to taxes to getting married. I adore her work. I will read anything she writes. LOVE IT!! ( )
  bookwormteri | Nov 19, 2012 |
Laurie Notaro does it again! So many great chapters! The one about buying a new bra was so hilarious! And can you imagine your gynecologist calling you fat and other disparaging remarks.

Laurie actually finds a man who loves her despite all her faults AND possible scary things associated with her past. Oh her poor husband he puts up with a lot from her you just have to have sympathy for him, especially the toothbrush incident.

These books are so much fun and I don’t care if I look like a crazy person listening to these and laughing out loud I need the laughs!

Hillary Huber’s narration is really great, her timing on all the great stories that Laurie has written is just spot on!

4 Stars ( )
  susiesharp | Aug 3, 2011 |
I am the sucker.
If Sensitive Eyes Guy didn't see me naked, it's a strong bet that I at least flashed him a boob, and if I did, I certainly hope it was the bigger -- and firmer -- of the two.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037576092X, Paperback)

The author of the New York Times bestseller The Idiot Girls’ Action-Adventure Club tackles her biggest challenge yet: grown-up life.

In Autobiography of a Fat Bride, Laurie Notaro tries painfully to make the transition from all-night partyer and bar-stool regular to mortgagee with plumbing problems and no air-conditioning. Laurie finds grown-up life just as harrowing as her reckless youth, as she meets Mr. Right, moves in, settles down, and crosses the toe-stubbing threshold of matrimony. From her mother's grade-school warning to avoid kids in tie-dyed shirts because their hippie parents spent their food money on drugs and art supplies; to her night-before-the-wedding panic over whether her religion is the one where you step on the glass; to her unfortunate overpreparation for the mandatory drug-screening urine test at work; to her audition as a Playboy centerfold as research for a newspaper story, Autobiography of a Fat Bride has the same zits-and-all candor and outrageous humor that made Idiot Girls an instant cult phenomenon.

In Autobiography of a Fat Bride, Laurie contemplates family, home improvement, and the horrible tyrannies of cosmetic saleswomen. She finds that life doesn't necessarily get any easier as you get older. But it does get funnier.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:37 -0400)

A selection of autobiographical essays, stories, and anecdotes provides a look at the pitfalls and pains of trying to live a grown-up life, contemplating such topics as children, home improvement, religion, and cosmetic saleswomen.

47 wanted1 pay3 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,402,473 books! | Top bar: Always visible