Fudge-a-mania by Judy Blume

I feel a bit silly giving it 4 stars--but it's just so gosh-darned genial I think I'd hurt its feelings at 3. Mostly its aspirations aren't that high, so it's like rating food trucks compared to gourmet restaurants--but it does what it sets out to do very, very well. It's a light, breezy read, and unlike many kids' books revisited as an adult, it works. It's dated (no one worries about cell phone reception in the woods, which would be my nephew's first concern now!), and I'm not convinced that "cooties" was a thing even when it was written--more likely during the author's youth--but once past that and into the vacation it was a treat to read.

Normally I knock off imaginary points for not having a compelling through-line and just being a set of episodes, but Ms. Blume manages to dangle enough carrots that you feel there's some sort of plot--or at least an expectation of things to come next, or at some point, and that was enough for me here.

(Note: 5 stars = amazing, wonderful, 4 = very good book, 3 = decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. I'm fairly good at picking for myself so end up with a lot of 4s). ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Apr 27, 2018 |
Fans young and old will laugh out loud at the irrepressible wit of peter Hatcher, the hilarious antics of mischievous Fudge, and the unbreakable confidence of know-it-all Sheila Tubman. ( )
  LynneQuan | Sep 23, 2017 |
This book is a little far-fetched for realistic fiction, but it is entertaining nonetheless. The characters are all equally hilarious, making the book an easy and quick read. After reading this book aloud to my second graders, I think it will make them more interested in reading more of Judy Blume's Fudge books.
  carleyaflores | Oct 3, 2016 |
Another in the Fudge series: Peter, Fudge, and Tootsie go with the family on a three-week vacation in Maine, but they have to share a house with that annoying Sheila. Enjoyable gentle humor as in all the Fudge books, although not quite as funny as the first two in the series. ( )
  sturlington | Jul 21, 2015 |
To George - who took me to Maine, and was there to encourage me every day and to Larry - the original Fudge, currently a member of the I.S.A.F. Club
"Guess what, Pete?" my brother, Fudge, said.

Fans young and old will laugh out loud at the irrepressible wit of peter Hatcher, the hilarious antics of mischievous Fudge, and the unbreakable confidence of know-it-all sheila tubman in Judy blume?s five Fudge books. brand-new covers adorn these perennial favorites, and will entice a whole new generation of Fudge?and Judy blume?fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:53 -0400)

Peter chronicles his family's vacation in Maine highlighted by the antics of his younger brother Fudge and the presence of his sworn enemy Sheila Tubman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,345,570 books! | Top bar: Always visible