The Autobiography of the Queen by Emma…

The Autobiography of the Queen

by Emma Tennant

"hot on the heels of Alan Bennett's fictional account of the Queeen..." Richard Kay, daily mail

This may cover the same type of subject as the Alan Bennet book an uncommon reader, but it is quite different.
While Alan Bennet left the queen in the places that she was accustomed to this book removes the Queen entirly from them. I have to admit that the idea that the Queen would have so little emotional attachment to her family strikes me as difficult to swallow. Although some of the idea that the queen would have little or no idea how to operate without the planning that is normally done for her. The asumption that a place looks run down because it has been designed to look like that(there can be no other reason, like it is in need of a paint)seems to follow the same idea that the queen thinks that most places smel like paint.
I was left asking myself if the queen walked passed me on the street would I even notice who she was. ( )
  jessicariddoch | Sep 28, 2011 |
A disappointing read. It compares very unfavourably with Alan Bennet's Uncommon reader, but even ignoring that it is poorly plotted and the characters are only weakly developed. ( )
  janglen | Oct 19, 2010 |
Just too long to get going for me, I don't have the years left to waste on books that don't GET me straight away. No longer can I afford to give a book 50 pages. ( )
  Fliss88 | Jul 24, 2010 |
Fares poorly in comparison to The Uncommon Reader. The Queen appears like a lost, demented woman with no sense of reality, which isn't at all believable. I had trouble getting to the end, I was so disappointed. ( )
  orbiting_star | May 21, 2009 |
Easy, light read - read it in 2 nights.
Funny and lighthearted story of what happens when Queen E escapes and decides to go to live in an island in the Bahamas only to find her home not built, and at the mercy of local islanders.
Implausable, but a fun romp. ( )
  coolmama | Nov 10, 2008 |

Emma Tennant's hilarious new novel about Her Majesty The Queen. The EU has just declared that all members states must have a written constitution and new Scottish laws on land ownership mean that The Queen may lose her beloved Balmoral. Couple with that of another kiss-and-tell tabloid scandal about Prince Harry - and The Queen has had enough. She arranges to escape, alone, to the island of St Lucia in the Caribbean - to number five, Banaquit Drive - and so heralds a cavatina of farce and misunderstandings, recounted in high comic form by a ??∑irlwind of pure imagination'… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,441,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible