Life Isn't All Ha Ha Hee Hee by Meera Syal

Life Isn't All Ha Ha Hee Hee

by Meera Syal

This is a great book about relationships, family, and marriage. The book centers around three best friends and the things that pull them apart and bring them together. I missed a lot of the Indian references since I am not Indian, but that didn't keep me from truly enjoying the book. The book looks at the traditional Indian family and follows these three women as they make decisions based off cultural ideals and their own changing beliefs. Wonderful! ( )
  mbklibrary | Aug 25, 2013 |
An excellent blend of chiclit and serious literature. The book is not a "light read" but is disguised as one, with the way it encompasses topics of typical chic lit fiction (love, adultery, dull marriages, girl friends, midlife crisis, dysfunctional families) with profound insight and realism -- no sugar coating, but no hyperbolic drama, either. The combination of three women, very different but intimately bound together, makes for a good read.
Even though my own journey is so different from theirs, there were many times when the descriptions used to identify their situations spoke exactly to something I have felt. The author is spot on with her characters and their emotions. And she explains them thoroughly but concisely.

There's so much material in this book, it would be perfect for discussion groups. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Apr 7, 2013 |
I liked it, but I had trouble identifying with the main characters. It seems that growing up South Asian in London is quite different from growing up South Asian in the U.S.! Also, I expected the book to be much funnier than it actually was. Instead of making me laugh, a lot of it just made me feel sad. ( )
  purplehena | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is a complex, deep and thoughtful book that portrayed three childhood friends as they grew up. Yes, it's about women but this is not chick lit or light. I marvel at the psychological depth and the tension conveyed in their relationships. I appreciated that the context was the UK and that that had its cultural overlay in the storytelling and the social commentary. I was pleased by the depth and complexity of the characters, all told in the first person. The author intermittently included the voices of neighbors, passersby, etc. and they added insights but it felt somewhat out of place somehow. In conclusion, I readily and happily recommend this book. ( )
  ming.l | Mar 31, 2013 |
For all our mothers and daughters
And the East London 'kuriyaan'
You Know Who You Are.
Not even snowfall could make Leyton look lovely.
'Go on ... go!' Tania said, exhilarated, raising her arms above her, scattering the sparrows from the trees, who fluttered through the grey snow and beyond it, singing their journey as they flew.

"On a winter morning in London's East End, the locals are confronted with the sight of a white horse skidding through the sooty snow, carrying what looks like a Christmas tree on its back. It turns out to be a man covered in tinsel, with a cartoon-size turban on his head. Entrepreneur Deepak is on his way to get married. As he trudges along, he consoles himself with the thought of marrying Chila, a nice Punjabi girl (a choice which has delighted his surprised parents) does not mean he needs to become his father, grow nostril hair or wear pastel coloured leisure wear.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:31 -0400)

Life Isn't All Ha Ha Hee Hee is a hilarious, thoughtful and moving novel about friendship, marriage and betrayal which focuses on the difficult choices that contemporary women have to make.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,492,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible