Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treatment: A…

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treatment: A Treatment Guide (Quality Medical… (edition 1998)

by Erica F. Verrillo, Lauren M. Gellman

Member:twitham
Title:Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treatment: A Treatment Guide (Quality Medical Home Health Library)
Authors:Erica F. Verrillo
Other authors:Lauren M. Gellman
Info:St. Martin's Griffin (1998), Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Member Giveaway (LT), Your library, EBooks
Tags:chronic fatigue, chronic fatigue syndrome, health, non-fiction

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Treatment Guide, 2nd Edition by Erica F. Verrillo

Received this book as a member giveaway from early reviewers. A little bit of background about why I was so pleased to see this book: I am a librarian in a hospital, so this book would be something we'd consider putting in our collection if it was good. In short: the book is not that good. I don't understand the organization of sections; the wordiness of each entry under the headings distracts rather than helps understanding each defined element, and last, at 700 pages this tome is, well, useless. It is not clear as to where the author was going with this book, and it does not come off as a benefit to readers at all. ( )
  kristincedar | Feb 23, 2014 |
The 2nd edition in Kindle format is carefully articulated with a highly rationalized index of topics that flows very responsibly by defining the natural of the problem, as it is defined and as it is experienced,

Because she lives in my stay, I'm hoping that someday relatively soon I'll be able to hear her interviewed on a local NPR radio station, since I think she will be able to present a very credible case for the world she and Ms. Gellman (currently ailing) have done.

Curiously, when we think of the failure to achieve permanent wellness, we want to ask just how dependable the book's accomploshments will be for any of the readers. When we ask, 'Where are we in studying CFS?', we may find ourselves to be where most novices are when they first attempt a new topic: heading for Wikipedia for a good opening or starting understanding, a hypothetical understanding with which to begin our research.

But my experience in tutoring lower levels in the healthcare professions is that today's textbooks have far better rationalized and coherent and factually correct and complete understandings of issues that were only sketchy in the medical education resources of decades ago (or MAY at times have been treated erroneously).

I think one may do well to make this book one's first source of reading on the topic, from which the more SERIOUS inquirers move on, and I'm confident that Ms. Verillo (Western Massachuetts) and Ms. Feldman (NYC?) would welcome all further insights and discoveries in this topic. But their disciplined research in this area is considerable. If you believe that CFS plagues you, I commend to you _Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treatment: A Treatment Guide_, 2nd Edition, much improved over the original version of the same book.

Even discussing this in public is likely to be met with political attacks that front strategic defensiveness about a topic that is not publicly affirmed by the predominant communities of clinical practice.

I recommend checking out what Dr. Michael Greger has written about CFS and related health concerns:
http://nutritionfacts.org/index.php?s=Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

and more specifically:
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/a-treatment-for-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/ ( )
  vegetarian | Apr 26, 2013 |
The 2nd edition is in both Kindle format and book format, and is carefully articulated with a highly rationalized index of topics that flows very responsibly by defining the natural of the problem, as it is defined and as it is experienced.

Because she lives in my state, I'm hoping that someday relatively soon I'll be able to hear her interviewed on a local NPR radio station, since I think she will be able to present a very credible case for the world she and Ms. Gellman (currently ailing) have done.

Curiously, when we think of the failure to achieve permanent wellness, we want to ask just how dependable the book's accomplishments will be for any of the readers. When we ask, 'Where are we in studying CFS?', we may find ourselves to be where most novices are when they first attempt a new topic: heading for Wikipedia for a good opening or starting understanding, a hypothetical understanding with which to begin our research.

I think one may do well to make this book one's first source of reading on the topic, from which the more SERIOUS inquirers move on, and I'm confident that Ms. Verillo (Western Massachusetts) and Ms. Gellman (NYC?) would welcome all further insights and discoveries in this topic. But their disciplined research in this area is considerable. If you believe that CFS plagues you, I commend to you _Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treatment: A Treatment Guide_, 2nd Edition, much improved over the original version of the same book.

http://nutritionfacts.org/index.php?s=Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

and more specifically:

because I believe that these are good and that we want to remove animal products from our diets for all the good reasons. ( )
  vegetarian | Apr 26, 2013 |
If you have CFS or experience it with a loved one, then this book is a must. Verrillo has exhaustively researched this illness and it is a book that will be dipped in regularly. The History of CFS is something that I have not found in other books, and I found it fascinating. The authors provide many links to more information and are generous with references. I reviewed the kindle edition, which is easy to navigate and search. Not only have I found it helpful, but my husband has and my mother picked up her own copy. Thanks to the authors for their attention and advocacy, and promoting that in this reader. ( )
  hfineisen | Feb 24, 2013 |
Erica Verillo presents here a comprehensive, authoritative and exhaustive review of chronic fatigue syndrome/ME. It begins with a history of the acceptance of this condition as a syndrome, the difficulties of both defining and diagnosing it. It explores the frequent co-morbidities of the syndrome: many sufferers are managing other conditions, both physical and mental, along with their chronic fatigue. It sets out a wide range of treatment options, from medical management of the condition to alternative therapies.

It is not a book to read through in a sitting, and certainly not a book most sufferers of chronic fatigue are likely to read every word of. It's an encyclopedic reference book, and is best used in this way by dipping into the information about a particular issue or treatment covered in the book.

A member of my family and a friend have this diagnosis: this book improved my understanding of their condition and will help me encourage them to pursue appropriate treatments. ( )
1 vote twitham | Dec 16, 2012 |
"There is simply no other treatment guide on the market that is presented with such expansive coverage, making this a 'must' for any health collection and for any reader concerned with understanding the extent of CFS."

Are you one of the millions who suffer from chronic fatigue syndroms? Finally some answers...

The CDC estimates that more than half a million Americans currently suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), a disease that has defied researchers to discover a cause--or a cure. Authors Erica Verrillo and Lauren Gellman, both long-term CFS patients, have no assembled a one-of-a-kind sourcebook for both patients and clinicians.

This concise, easy-to-understand reference offers the latest medical knowledge, sound advice, and hope to anyone suffering from this disease. Combining a self-helop manual, the personal histories of CFS sufferers, and a symptom and treament dictionary, this comprehensive volume details every facetj of the illness and thoroughly discusses every treatment currently available. From diagnosis to symptoms, from traditional to alternative therapties to coping strategies, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Treatment Guide is on eof the only references on this disease written from the patient's perspective. Reading this book could be your single most important step to recovery.

Features:
More than one hundred effective treatments
Details and up-to-date information on availability, costs, and administration of each treatment
In-depth discussion of symptoms, cross-referenced with coping and treatment sections
Extensive appendices covering resources, articles, videotapes, Internet sites, doctors, clinics, mail-order suppliers, and support groups.
Special coping tips for people with environmental sensitivities and dietary restrictions

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:52 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,155,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible