Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Discipleship

by Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Series: Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works (4)

I am writing this review in the anniversary of Bonhoeffer's execution in 1945. I can't add much to the many words that have been written about this except to say that Bonhoeffer insists that discipleship must be life changing and life controlling or it is an illusion. Powerful and complex. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
Absolutely a reason this is a modern classic. This will challenge you and call you to follow Jesus closer. ( )
  HGButchWalker | Sep 21, 2016 |
Dietrich
  StPaulsChurch | Jul 19, 2016 |
Excellent! His pastoral explanation of the Sermon on the Mount was a refreshing drink at the well.
  david__clifford | Feb 3, 2016 |
Dense, heavy, and occasionally antiquated theology but filled with brilliant, inspirational insights ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |

Dietrich Bonhoefferprimary authorall editionscalculated
Booth, IrmgardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fuller, Reginald HoraceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[Bonhoefer, Introduction:] "Revival of church life always brings in its train a richer understanding of the Scriptures. Behind all the slogans and catchwords of ecclesiastical controversy, necessary though they are, there arises a more determined quest for him who is the sole object of it all, for Jesus Christ himself."
"When Christ calls a man he bids him come and die."

Library binding, hardback

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684815001, Paperback)

"When Christ calls a man, he bids him come and die." With these words, in The Cost of Discipleship, Dietrich Bonhoeffer gave powerful voice to the millions of Christians who believe personal sacrifice is an essential component of faith. Bonhoeffer, a German Lutheran pastor and theologian, was an exemplar of sacrificial faith: he opposed the Nazis from the first and was eventually imprisoned in Buchenwald and hung by the Gestapo in 1945. The Cost of Discipleship, first published in German in 1937, was Bonhoeffer's answer to the questions, "What did Jesus mean to say to us? What is his will for us to-day?" Bonhoeffer's answers are rooted in Lutheran grace and derived from Christian scripture (almost a third of the book consists of an extended meditation on the Sermon on the Mount). The book builds to a stunning conclusion: its closing chapter, "The Image of Christ," describes the believer's spiritual life as participation in Christ's incarnation, with a rare and epigrammatic confidence: "Through fellowship and communion with the incarnate Lord," Bonhoeffer writes, "we recover our true humanity, and at the same time we are delivered from that individualism which is the consequence of sin, and retrieve our solidarity with the whole human race." --Michael Joseph Gross

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:10 -0400)

What can the call to discipleship, the adherence to the word of Jesus, mean today to the businessman, the soldier, the laborer, or the aristocrat? What did Jesus mean to say to us? What is his will for us today? Drawing on the Sermon on the Mount, Dietrich Bonhoeffer answers these timeless questions by providing a seminal reading of the dichotomy between "cheap grace" and "costly grace."… (more)

304 wanted8 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,211,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible