The Lilac Bus by Maeve Binchy

The Lilac Bus (1984)

by Maeve Binchy

1,0831911,565 (3.33)30
    The Copper Beech by Maeve Binchy (MissBrangwen)
    MissBrangwen: Both books have a similar concept: Short stories on different persons, but all intertwined and bound up through their place of living and other aspects.
    The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister (wigsonthegreen)

English (16)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (19)
I love Maeve Binchy's books but this one left me hanging and wanting to know what happened to all the characters that she introduced us to. Her characterization is always excellent as she really seems to know much about different personalities. I would really call this a book of short stories about people who are related through riding the lilac bus. I will however forgive her as I'm looking forward to reading more of her novels and really do miss her now that she is gone. ( )
  EadieB | Oct 21, 2018 |
I started off liking this book. I thought it was a novel and was interested in the characters and all. However, the book flipped to a new set of characters, and then another story, and then a new set of characters, and so on. It was then when I sorely realized that I've been burned again by a short story book masquerading as a novel. I kicked myself by not researching it first, because I hate short stories. So if you hate them, like me, be forewarned. I wish I could recover the wasted time reading this. ( )
  Likeitorlumpit | Dec 3, 2016 |
A group of people take a bus home to Rathdoon from Dublin every weekend. Their stories inter connect. A very enjoyable collection.

The Dublin 4

I loved the Dinner In Donnybrook - Carmel was a lot sharper than people gave her credit.

The Flat in Ringsend was a disappointment. I hated the way it ended - no answers. ( )
  nx74defiant | Nov 27, 2016 |
This is an enjoyable group of stories by Maeve Binchy, and she weaves a good story (as always!) about everyone that goes back to the village of Rathdoon every Friday on the Lilac Bus. Each person is about to make some crucial adjustments in their life, or crucial decisions, you are just left wanting more. I, for one, wanted to know what happened next in their lives following these decisions. This is the problem of short stories for me - I always want more and want to know what happens next. Maeve Binchy's website does list it as a novel and whilst more than one of the characters appears in each story, I feel it is still a collection of stories rather than a novel. If you are a fan of Maeve Binchy or like well written short stories I would recommend this book to you. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Three books in one: Lilac Bus, Dublin 4, and Victoria Line Central Line.

Dublin 4 is four mini-novels set in Dublin. Good characters and interesting conversation, with fast-paced plots. However I found all the endings rather unsatisfactory.

Victoria Line Central Line is a book of short stories with realistic characters facing unusual situations. Some ended rather too abruptly for my tastes, but on the whoel they were enjoyable and thought-provoking. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
For my dear Gordon, with all my love
Nancy was early, but then she always was, and she didn't like being seen there too soon.

The Journey... Every Friday night a lilac-colored minibus leaves Dublin for the Irish country town of Rathdoon with seven weekend commuters on board. All of them, from the joking bank porter to the rich doctor's daughter, have their reasons for making the journey.

The Destination...Rathdoon is the kind of Irish village where family histories are shared and scandals don't stay secret for long. And this weekend, when the bus pulls in, the riders find the unexpected waiting for them...as each of their private lives unfolds to reveal a sharp betrayal of the heart, a young man's crime, and a chance for new dreams among the eight intriguing men and women on...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:57 -0400)

Every Friday night young Tom Fitzgerald's lilac-colored minibus leaves Dublin for the Irish country town of Rathdoon with seven weekend commuters on board. All the people on board have their reasons for making the journey.

Poolbeg Press

An edition of this book was published by Poolbeg Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,423,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible