Brian's Return by Gary Paulsen

Brian's Return (original 2000; edition 2001)

by Gary Paulsen

Member:mashiox
Title:Brian's Return
Authors:Gary Paulsen
Info:Laurel Leaf (2001), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 144 pages
Rating:*****

Brian's Return by Gary Paulsen (2000)

This was an amazing book. The book started back at Brian's home where he was living an everyday life. He gets in a fight and has to go to a counselor. During counseling he decides he wants to go back to the woods and spends time preparing. He goes back and meets a man. There Brian finds his spirit animal. And decides he will stay in the woods.
I gave this book a 5 star rating. I gave it this because it was hard to stop reading. I was always finishing a chapter and I would have to go to bed and then immediately in the morning continue. It was very interactive and seemed like you were there. The way they described every thing made you see it. Near the end of the book you could see a change in everything the way of talking and all. I really liked this book and that's why I gave it 5 stars. ( )
  EvanL.B3 | Mar 21, 2018 |
I liked this book because I liked that fact that Brian went back to the wilderness. He follows his heart and that rang true with me. I sometimes Gary pushes it a bit with relation to the number of attacks Brian survives without serious injury but hey, his coping is what the book is about and the story would be over pretty quickly if he was severely injured or died. I re-read four of these books partly as research for a novel I am currently writing in which surviving in the Canadian north is an important part. If you want a quick read that is well written and entertaining I would recommend Gary Paulsen as an author. ( )
  paulhock | Oct 17, 2017 |
I loved the book. Being a fan of the hatchet series I had to read this book. This book gives you closure to Brian Robesons story and takes you on another wild adventure all the while. ( )
  Jgay2 | Apr 18, 2017 |
Brian Robeson has trouble acclimating to his life back in the city after he is rescued from his plane crash. Dismayed and bored by city life, Brian decided he wants to go on an adventure back to the wilderness to see the Smallhorn family, the family that rescued him in Brian’s Winter. Brian is dropped off a hundred miles away from them and he is going to get there by going through rivers and lakes until he gets to his destination. Brian has many supplies and a canoe to help him along the journey. Brian has a couple incidents with a bad storm injuring him and a deer jumping into his canoe. One night Brian meets Billy, a man of the woods. Billy gives Brian good medicine for the woods and Billy’s advice eventually leads Brian down the path of staying in the woods forever and building a life there. I appreciated this story because it completes Brian’s story. Brian realizes that his true calling is to live a life in the woods and that the traditional life he grew up living is not for him. I also like how in the end, the plane crash was one of the best things that ever happened to him because he found his purpose in life. This is a good novel to teach students about there is life outside of technology and the comforts they are accustomed to at home. Good ELA writing assignment.
  dennehycm32 | Apr 10, 2017 |
In this final installation of the series that began with "Hatchet", we journey with Brian as he returns to the wilderness, to answer a call that will not be denied. ( )
  fuzzi | Jan 28, 2015 |
This book is dedicated to Alana for taking good care of Linda
Brian sat quietly, taken by a peace he had not known for a long time, and let the canoe drift forward along the lily pads.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440413796, Mass Market Paperback)

A deer in his canoe, a bear attack, a leg stabbed with an arrowhead--it's just another week in the life of 16-year-old Brian Robeson. In his opinion, this beats a date at Mackey's Pizza Den, a fight with a bully, and a video game at the mall any day. After having survived a plane crash and 54 days in the Canadian wilderness several years earlier, Brian can't seem to fit into "civilization." The world of high school and family life makes no sense anymore. So Brian begins to plan. It's time to return to the woods. This time, though, he makes no plans to come back home.

Gary Paulsen, the popular author of many critically acclaimed books for young people and winner of the 1997 Margaret A. Edward Award, has written another sequel to the Newbery Honor Book Hatchet. (The River and Brian's Winter were earlier sequels.) Paulsen's graphic and detailed descriptions of Brian's adventures demonstrate a deep familiarity and connection to the wilderness; and in fact the author has spent much of his life in the bush, living almost entirely off the land. Brian's experiences in nature parallel his growing independence and maturity; readers who don't feel like they "fit in" will easily relate to the young protagonist's search for identity and purity. (Ages 11 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:46 -0400)

After having survived alone in the wilderness, Brian finds that he can no longer live in the city but must return to the place where he really belongs.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,406,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible