Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against…

Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations (2008)

by Alex Harris, Brett Harris (Author)

Other authors: Chuck Norris (Foreword)

Finally finished. The book is focused on encouraging its target audience to strike out and do things that sound difficult and I believe it mostly accomplishes this. I am not in that target audience and still was challenged by its message, overall. ( )
  learn2laugh | Sep 14, 2014 |
I opened this book with a lot of reservation. Being the jaded, read-it-all, know-it-all college student who just left what seemed to be the Harris' overly focused audience (by turning 20), I wasn't sure how much I could get out of this book.
While I still think their focus might have been somewhat limiting, this apathy of low expectation seems to be infecting our entire populace, I can also see why the deliberate focus on teens shines an even stronger light on an even darker blind spot for a lot of people.
I also felt a little more removed from a percent of the content, especially early on, because of how politically involved the twins have been and how they used that for a lot of their examples. They balanced out a lot of their political examples, however, in the end; over all, I would have to admit that in the end their examples are even fairly gender balanced, which is another point that they could have missed.
Finally, the best point of this book is that YES I have been feeling exactly what they say in this book for the past few years of my life, and instead of finding this book ridiculously boring, I devoured it in two or three days! Not only was it enormously encouraging to me (I am not alone), but it also inspired me in a lot of ways to challenge myself and others around me who are not fulfilling our full potential. ( )
  KingdomOfOdd | Dec 9, 2013 |
IN SHORT: Challenging people not to take the easy route in life. WHO FOR: Aimed at teenagers (but for anyone), Christian or not. THOUGHTS: At first I wasn't sure about the book.  I felt it was a bit of pop-psychology and moralism. I was concerned the message was just 'Be-the-best-you-can-be-which-is-better-than-you-think.' Having pressed on with the book, my fears were unfounded.  I would recommend that you read the appendix first.  It explains that the book is for non-Christians as well as Christians. QUote that bit. Functions like wisdom literature.   GOODBAD
  nathan.burley | May 10, 2011 |
Brad borrowed one copy and Amber has the other (July 25th)
  bgboy11 | Jul 27, 2010 |
NCLA Review -Written by 19-year-old twin brothers, this book challenges teenagers to stop thinking of adolescence as the last bastion of childhood and use the period to attempt hard things that will shape their character for meaningful adulthood. As the brothers illustrate from their own and others’ experiences, “hard things” doesn’t necessarily mean unpleasant things. Rather, they are vehicles for growth, stretching oneself by voluntarily taking on responsibilities that are usually reserved for adults. Such as daring to apply for internships to Alabama ’s Supreme Court (successful), though they were only 16 and had never been away from home. Later, they set up an immensely popular blog to encourage other teens to join the “rebelution” against low expectations. The book is packed with inspiring stories of teens who responded. Although the authors agree that doing the hard thing will pay off for anyone, they are obviously evangelical Christians. My one reservation about the book is that teens unaccustomed to the language of conservative Christians may not give its message a hearing. Rating: 3 —DKW 241p, cloth, Multnomah 2008, ISBN 13: 978-1-60142-112-8, $16.99 [YA 248.8] ( )
  ncla | Jul 11, 2009 |

Alex Harrisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harris, BrettAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Norris, ChuckForewordsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To our parents, Gregg and Sono Harris.
This book is the message of your lives.
Our triumph is your triumph. We love you.
Most people don't expect you to understand what we're going to tell you in this book.

A growing movement of young people is rebelling against the low expectations of today's culture by choosing to "do hard things" for the glory of God.

...

Combating the idea of adolescence as a vacation from responsibility, the authors weave together biblical insights, history, and modern examples to redefine the teen years as the launching pad of life. Then they map out five powerful ways teens can respond for personal and social change.

Written by teens for teens, Do Hard Things is packed with humorous personal anecdotes, practical examples, and stories of real-life rebelutionaries in action. This rallying cry from the heart of an already-happening teen revolution challenges a generation to lay claim to a brighter future, starting today.

Two Christian teenage writers challenge their peers to create a brighter future, combating the idea of adolescence as a vacation from responsibility and providing humorous personal anecdotes, practical examples, and stories of real-life "rebelutionaries"in action.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,353,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible