The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Chronicles…

The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Chronicles Series #2) (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Bernard Cornwell

Member:rhbouchard
Title:The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Chronicles Series #2)
Authors:Bernard Cornwell
Info:HarperCollins (2006), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**

The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell (2005)

English (38)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (42)
A solid adventure historical. Cornwell knows his way around a battle. ( )
  MarysGirl | Aug 22, 2014 |
This is the second of Bernard Cornwell's second best series, the Utred of Bebbanburgh series, and they are good books. I prefer Utred to Sharpe, but I understand it's a moot point. The ninth century is the setting, and the Epic of Alfred of Wessex is going on in the background, while a good revenge plot really occupies our minds. An excellent piece of entertainment. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jun 4, 2014 |
Set across 877-78, this second instalment of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Stories continues to follow Uhtred, now aged 20/21, who is as ever split between his English blood and Danish heart.

There is more of Alfred the Great is this sequel. Mr Cornwell does a good job of portraying the famous king.

I enjoyed the first book in the series - "The Last Kingdom" - and rate this one as being even better. The battle scenes are vividly described; the dialogue is believable and often includes dry humour, and the blend of fact and fiction works well.

A very good read. ( )
  PhilSyphe | May 10, 2014 |
I finished this last night, and I'm still not really sure what I think. On the one hand, I am absolutely fascinated by historical fiction and how vastly different it is from our world today - and this novel seemed believably accurate. On the other hand, Uhtred and every single other man in this novel, except perhaps Alfred, were brutes. I know that's just the way it was, but still. There was none among the characters with much compassion, except the pious men for whom it was about staying in God's good books.

It was well written, but still don't think I enjoy reading this kind of brutality. No thanks! ( )
  crashmyparty | Mar 14, 2014 |
Very good book. ( )
  Philip100 | Dec 26, 2013 |
Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
Ac her forp berad; fugelas singid,

gylled groeghama.

Pois aqui se inicia a guerra, aves carniceiras

cantam e lobos cinzentos uivam.

The Fight at Finnsburth
The Pale Horseman is for George MacDonald Fraser, in admiration
These days I look at twenty-year-olds and think they are pathetically young, scarcely weaned from their mothers' tits, but when I was twenty I considered myself a full-grown man.
Fate is inexorable.

The last unvanquished piece of England, Wessex is eyed hungrily by the fearsome Viking conquerors. A dispossessed young nobleman, Uhtred is tied to the imperiled land by birth and marriage but was raised by the Danish invaders—and he questions where his allegiance must lie. But blood is his destiny, and when the overwhelming Viking horde attacks out of a wintry darkness, Uhtred must put aside all hatred and distrust and stand beside his embattled country's staunch defender—the fugitive King Alfred.

The Pale Horseman is a gripping, monumental adventure that gives breathtaking life to one of the most important epochs in English history—yet another masterwork from New York Times bestselling author Bernard Cornwell.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:22 -0400)

Uhtred, a dispossessed young nobleman, born a Saxon but raised by the Vikings, forms an uneasy alliance with King Alfred the Great to fight for Wessex when the kingdom is attacked by the Danish Vikings in the ninth century.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,666,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible