The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Chronicles…

The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Chronicles Series #2) (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Bernard Cornwell

Member:rhbouchard
Title:The Pale Horseman (The Saxon Chronicles Series #2)
Authors:Bernard Cornwell
Info:HarperCollins (2006), Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**

The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell (2005)

Recently added byprivate library, fbarry28, mnorfolk49, JackMassa, LitaVore, cookierooks, jimpike69, Khaworth

English (48)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All (52)
Cornwell whips up another rousing historical adventure tale with a straightforward warrior protagonist and the usual cast of sniveling, conniving cowards always twisting the truth to make him look bad.

This time the setting is the 9th Century Saxon-Danish wars at the time of Alfred the Great, and the action is more bloody and gruesome than in other Corwell novels I've read. Not for the fastidious.

JackMassa | Nov 23, 2016 |
I’ve had several books from the Saxon Chronicles on my TBR for quite a while but only started reading them after watching the TV series, Last Kingdom on BBC. The first book, The Last Kingdom, begins the story of Uhtred, a Saxon boy taken by the Danes while attacking Northumbria in the late 800’s.

In The Pale Horseman, Uhtred is now in his early 20’s -- a man with a wife, a child and a sworn oath to his king, Albert. Albert’s Wessex is the last of the “English” kingdoms remaining as the others have all fallen to the Danes, This book focuses on Albert and Uhtred’s struggle to keep the Danes from conquering Wessex.

A note for potential spoilers - I noted in my review of The Last Kingdom that the tv series extended beyond the book – this book is the rest of the first season of the series.

The first book, I rated 4 starts. This one is at 3.75 stars - slightly less as I did not find the main character, Uhtred as likable in this second installment. The story and the action is both just as good as the first book and I look forward to the third book in the series.

Rating: 3.75 Stars ( )
  bhabeck | Sep 2, 2016 |
Bernard Cornwell cements his place as my favorite author. Supremely entertaining novel. ( )
  ko40370 | Apr 27, 2016 |
I loved it. Just loved it. Nuff said :D ( )
  Mybookfile | Mar 15, 2016 |
My second Bernard Cornwell novel - after the first in this series. It's about as much fun watching the writer at work as it is following the tale itself. He gives us little reminders and explanations, details repeated or summarized that we might have learned in volume 1 or even earlier in this book. The tale gets a little complicated sometimes so Cornwell is careful to help us stay on track. But even when you see him at work like this, it's never distracting.

I am no historian, never mind any expert on Alfred and his time. But the historical note at the end makes it clear that Cornwell has done his homework. What a grand fun way to learn a little history! Mostly I read these dense academic books that take me weeks to crawl through. This book is a grand page turner that keeps up me into the wee hours. Started yesterday, finished today! ( )
2 vote kukulaj | Dec 17, 2015 |
Ac her forlo berað; fugelas singað, gylleð grœghama.
For here starts war, carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl.
From The Fight at Finnsburh
The Pale Horseman is for George MacDonald Fraser, in admiration
George MacDonald Fraser, in admiration
These days I look at twenty-year-olds and think they are pathetically young, scarcely weaned from their mothers' tits, but when I was twenty I considered myself a full-grown man.
These days I look at twenty-year-olds and think they are pathetically young, scarcely weaned from their mothers’ tits, but when I was twenty I considered myself a full-grown man.
Fate is inexorable.

The last unvanquished piece of England, Wessex is eyed hungrily by the fearsome Viking conquerors. A dispossessed young nobleman, Uhtred is tied to the imperiled land by birth and marriage but was raised by the Danish invaders—and he questions where his allegiance must lie. But blood is his destiny, and when the overwhelming Viking horde attacks out of a wintry darkness, Uhtred must put aside all hatred and distrust and stand beside his embattled country's staunch defender—the fugitive King Alfred.

The Pale Horseman is a gripping, monumental adventure that gives breathtaking life to one of the most important epochs in English history—yet another masterwork from New York Times bestselling author Bernard Cornwell.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:19 -0400)

Uhtred, a dispossessed young nobleman, born a Saxon but raised by the Vikings, forms an uneasy alliance with King Alfred the Great to fight for Wessex when the kingdom is attacked by the Danish Vikings in the ninth century.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,810,145 books! | Top bar: Always visible