Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini

Captain Blood (1922)

by Rafael Sabatini

Series: Captain Blood (1)

English (36)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (37)
Peter Blood is a doctor who does not want to be involved in the politics. This is seventeenth century England and monarchies are ever changing. Peter Blood is accused of treason when he treats on of his patients who happens to be a rebel. He is convicted and is sold into slavery to a plantation in West Indies. He escapes and gets into buccaneering ways. He has many adventures and this is a excellent narration of them.

This book is fast paced and very entertaining. The language is Dickensonian. It has adventure and a little bit of romance. A 4/5 read. ( )
  mausergem | May 13, 2015 |
Growing up, this was my favourite book. It continues to hold this position today. A cracking adventure with a beautiful use of language. I do love the work of Rafael Sabatini - and this is his writing at its best. ( )
  KatieBeitz | Aug 9, 2014 |
  KatieBeitz | Aug 9, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this swashbuckler and am glad I came off my high horse to do so!

Sabatini is a wonderful writer and was very famous in early Hollywood days. I had thought he was "earlier" than that. ( )
  Benedict8 | Jul 16, 2014 |
I could have liked this more if it weren't so easy. Captain Blood is a bit too perfect, and tends to get lucky a bit too often. I've read a fair number of complaints about the racism in this book (and it's there, no question about it), but that I would be willing to interpret as a sign of the times in which it was written, the other issues, not so much. The writing style was very nice and I did enjoy the story, mostly, but in the end, there's not much of substance there. ( )
  RhondaParrish | May 9, 2014 |

Rafael Sabatiniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wyeth, N.C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peter Blood, bachelor of medicine and several other things besides, smoked a pipe and tended the geraniums boxed on the sill of his window above Water Lane in the town of Bridgewater.

Peter Blood is a physician and an English gentleman who becomes a pirate out of a rankling sense of injustice. Barely escaping the gallows after his arrest for treating wounded rebels who were fighting the oppressive King James, Blood flees England and becomes enslaved on a Barbados plantation of buccaneers. When he escapes, no ship sailing the Spanish Main is safe from Blood and his companions. Abounding with adventure, color, romance, and strong social commentary on the evils of slavery and the dangers of intolerance, this classic adventure is a story about how oppression drives men to desperate actions, how fate plays a hand in everyone's life, and how love is ultimately the greatest power of all.

Edited with an introduction by Gary Hoppenstand.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:46 -0400)

"Peter Blood is a physician who becomes a pirate not for infamy and riches, but out of a rankling sense of injustice. Barely escaping the gallows after his arrest for treating a wounded rebel fighting the oppressive King James, Blood is unjustly transported to a Barbados plantation. Upon his escape, no ship sailing the Spanish Main is safe from Blood and his companions. Abounding with adventure, color, romance, and strong social commentary on the evils of slavery and the dangers of intolerance, this classic adventure is a story about how oppression drives men to desperate actions, how fate plays a hand in everyone's life, and how love is ultimately the greatest power of all."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,184,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible