Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini

Captain Blood (original 1922; edition 2011)

by Rafael Sabatini

Member:hirotani
Title:Captain Blood
Authors:Rafael Sabatini
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 250 pages
Collections:Kindle (read)
Rating:***
Tags:Adventure

Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini (1922)

English (40)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (41)
This review is for this audiobook edition only; see my paperback edition for my thoughts on the novel itself.
4.5*
Robert Whitfield (aka Simon Vance) is one of my favorite narrators, particularly for classics. He doesn't disappoint in this historical fiction about 1760s England & Caribbean. However, perhaps because I first encountered this story via the Errol Flynn/Olivia de Havilland film, I found that I preferred my experience reading this to that of listening to it. Whitfield's various voices for the characters were well done (Peter Blood's Irish accent was specially good) but they weren't the voices I was used to and several times I found that I had lost the thread of the story. So in this case, the audiobook loses a ½ star instead of gaining one... ( )
  leslie.98 | Jul 22, 2016 |
I hadn't heard of Sabatini until quite recently, when I saw him credited as one of Arturo Perez-Reverte's major influences - along with Alexandre Dumas. That was enough to make me seek out a book!
This 1922 novel is the story that the movie starring Errol Flynn was based on - and it is indeed, as one might expect, a swashbuckling pirate adventure.
Peter Blood, an educated doctor with a military background, runs afoul of the law for giving medical aid to a political rebel against King James Stuart.
Condemned as a traitor, he's shipped off to the Caribbean and sold as a slave - where, of course, he chastely falls in love with his owner's daughter, Arabella.
His medical training gives him opportunities other slaves do not have - and when the chance comes, he makes an escape, seizes a ship, and turns pirate -
leaving his true love behind.
Many piratical adventures ensue, giving the book somewhat of the feeling of a serial - but enough of a plot runs through all Blood's escapades to tie it all together.
A fun, quick read, regardless of the novel's age - it's definitely withstood the test of time. ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Peter Blood, forced into piracy, never abandons his sense of honor. Pining for the unattainable and beautiful Arabella, he names his ship after her and paints it red. With an amazing gift for strategy, he leads his buccaneers to victory despite overwhelmingly poor odds. Every chapter was a delight in this high seas adventure. ( )
  penelopemarzec | Jan 19, 2016 |
Love me some pirates. ( )
  JackieCarroll | Aug 3, 2015 |
A roaring good time of a novel, the story of a 17th century doctor and solider turned pirate after a series of injustices leaves him on the wrong side of the law. Enthusiastically recommended.

Full review here: https://bibliomaneblog.wordpress.com/2015/10/28/captain-blood-by-rafael-sabatini-a-review/ ( )
  Bill_Bibliomane | Jun 4, 2015 |

Rafael Sabatiniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wyeth, N.C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peter Blood, bachelor of medicine and several other things besides, smoked a pipe and tended the geraniums boxed on the sill of his window above Water Lane in the town of Bridgewater.

Peter Blood is a physician and an English gentleman who becomes a pirate out of a rankling sense of injustice. Barely escaping the gallows after his arrest for treating wounded rebels who were fighting the oppressive King James, Blood flees England and becomes enslaved on a Barbados plantation of buccaneers. When he escapes, no ship sailing the Spanish Main is safe from Blood and his companions. Abounding with adventure, color, romance, and strong social commentary on the evils of slavery and the dangers of intolerance, this classic adventure is a story about how oppression drives men to desperate actions, how fate plays a hand in everyone's life, and how love is ultimately the greatest power of all.

Edited with an introduction by Gary Hoppenstand.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:23 -0400)

"Peter Blood is a physician who becomes a pirate not for infamy and riches, but out of a rankling sense of injustice. Barely escaping the gallows after his arrest for treating a wounded rebel fighting the oppressive King James, Blood is unjustly transported to a Barbados plantation. Upon his escape, no ship sailing the Spanish Main is safe from Blood and his companions. Abounding with adventure, color, romance, and strong social commentary on the evils of slavery and the dangers of intolerance, this classic adventure is a story about how oppression drives men to desperate actions, how fate plays a hand in everyone's life, and how love is ultimately the greatest power of all."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,161,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible