Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini

Captain Blood (edition 2011)

by Rafael Sabatini

Collections:Kindle (read)
Rating:***
Tags:Adventure

Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini

Another classic bites the dust!

This week my intent was to read "Captain Blood", considered a classic, and a book that's been sitting on my shelves/e-reader for far too long.

I enjoyed "Captain Blood", partly for the story, and partly for the verbal fencing. I loved how the title character was able to handle those who were under the impression that they were "somebody". Even the uncle of the love interest, Arabella, can't match wits or swords with Peter Blood.

The arrogance of the aristocracy of the time period is well portrayed, and the passages describing the battle tactics and life on the ship were interesting. None of the descriptions were distracting from the plot, which sailed right along. I was surprised to discover that this book was over 300 pages...it read much like a substantially shorter story.

Recommended. ( )
  fuzzi | Mar 19, 2014 |
I read this book in less than two days, and found it good to read. ( )
  Schmerguls | Oct 3, 2013 |
McBooks Press began some years ago issuing a new “Classics of Nautical Fiction” series (pant! pant!) No doubt related to the success of the O’Brian books. Sabatini wrote several swashbuckling tales during the early twentieth century. Captain Blood was one turned into a famous movie starring Errol Flynn. Typical of many books written before the enlightened days of political correctness, it suffers from racism and sexism. The romance is a bit mushy, but what the heck, it’s a rousing good story. Peter Blood is a doctor in England who makes the mistake of aiding a rebel fighting King James. He is charged with treason, comes within an inch of hanging, is sent to Jamaica as a slave, then sold to the treacherous and meanspirited Colonel Bishop. The colonel’s niece Arabella — ravishingly beautiful, of course — takes a special interest in Blood, who manages to escape bondage with numerous of his fellow slaves when Spaniards ransack the town. Blood takes a Spanish ship by force and becomes a pirate, preying only on the wicked Spanish, mind you; after all, he’s still a noble Englishman at heart, and he names his new ship. . . well, you guess. In the end he . . . well, you guess. It’s all in rousing good fun and is saved from being completely trivial by Blood’s character, who has some wicked ripostes and dialogue. Faced with an obnoxious French admiral who demands that Peter’s captains be more obsequious, Blood responds: “I am happy to assure you that the reminder is unnecessary. I am by way of accounting myself a gentleman, little though I may look like one at present; and I should not account myself that were I capable of anything but deference to those whom nature or fortune may have placed above me, or to those being placed beneath me in rank may labour under a disability to resent my lack of it.” Beats television any day. No commercials either. Try it instead of the Super Bowl, no wait, I guess that’s already over or is it? ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
If you want more high sea adventures with pirates, look no further. Told in the same vein of great story-telling as his predecessor, Alexander Dumas, provides a thrilling tale of danger and desire when a good man, Dr. Peter Blood, is wrongly accused of treachery and sentenced to hard labor in the Caribbean, wherein he meets and falls for a fiery young woman. As is usually the case, life for a criminal on the outside is limited to piracy, with Blood taking the high road version. The ending shouldn't be too surprising...
  VeritysVeranda | Sep 29, 2013 |
Peter Blood, a doctor turned by force of circumstance into a slave on a Barbados sugar plantation, then escapes and becomes a pirate, sailing the Caribbean... what more can I say? ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |

Rafael Sabatiniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wyeth, N.C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peter Blood, bachelor of medicine and several other things besides, smoked a pipe and tended the geraniums boxed on the sill of his window above Water Lane in the town of Bridgewater.

Peter Blood is a physician and an English gentleman who becomes a pirate out of a rankling sense of injustice. Barely escaping the gallows after his arrest for treating wounded rebels who were fighting the oppressive King James, Blood flees England and becomes enslaved on a Barbados plantation of buccaneers. When he escapes, no ship sailing the Spanish Main is safe from Blood and his companions. Abounding with adventure, color, romance, and strong social commentary on the evils of slavery and the dangers of intolerance, this classic adventure is a story about how oppression drives men to desperate actions, how fate plays a hand in everyone's life, and how love is ultimately the greatest power of all.

Edited with an introduction by Gary Hoppenstand.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:46 -0400)

"Peter Blood is a physician who becomes a pirate not for infamy and riches, but out of a rankling sense of injustice. Barely escaping the gallows after his arrest for treating a wounded rebel fighting the oppressive King James, Blood is unjustly transported to a Barbados plantation. Upon his escape, no ship sailing the Spanish Main is safe from Blood and his companions. Abounding with adventure, color, romance, and strong social commentary on the evils of slavery and the dangers of intolerance, this classic adventure is a story about how oppression drives men to desperate actions, how fate plays a hand in everyone's life, and how love is ultimately the greatest power of all."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,504,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible