Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini

Captain Blood (edition 2011)

by Rafael Sabatini

Collections:Kindle (read)
Rating:***
Tags:Adventure

Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini

Recently added byDaniel51094, wespector, private library, KatieBeitz, Colonino, drcmg, purple15emerald, cebellol
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg

English (36)  Hebrew (1)  All languages (37)
Growing up, this was my favourite book. It continues to hold this position today. A cracking adventure with a beautiful use of language. I do love the work of Rafael Sabatini - and this is his writing at its best. ( )
  KatieBeitz | Aug 9, 2014 |
  KatieBeitz | Aug 9, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this swashbuckler and am glad I came off my high horse to do so!

Sabatini is a wonderful writer and was very famous in early Hollywood days. I had thought he was "earlier" than that. ( )
  Benedict8 | Jul 16, 2014 |
I could have liked this more if it weren't so easy. Captain Blood is a bit too perfect, and tends to get lucky a bit too often. I've read a fair number of complaints about the racism in this book (and it's there, no question about it), but that I would be willing to interpret as a sign of the times in which it was written, the other issues, not so much. The writing style was very nice and I did enjoy the story, mostly, but in the end, there's not much of substance there. ( )
  RhondaParrish | May 9, 2014 |
Another classic bites the dust!

This week my intent was to read "Captain Blood", considered a classic, and a book that's been sitting on my shelves/e-reader for far too long.

I enjoyed "Captain Blood", partly for the story, and partly for the verbal fencing. I loved how the title character was able to handle those who were under the impression that they were "somebody". Even the uncle of the love interest, Arabella, can't match wits or swords with Peter Blood.

The arrogance of the aristocracy of the time period is well portrayed, and the passages describing the battle tactics and life on the ship were interesting. None of the descriptions were distracting from the plot, which sailed right along. I was surprised to discover that this book was over 300 pages...it read much like a substantially shorter story.

Recommended. ( )
1 vote fuzzi | Mar 19, 2014 |

Rafael Sabatiniprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wyeth, N.C.Illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Peter Blood, bachelor of medicine and several other things besides, smoked a pipe and tended the geraniums boxed on the sill of his window above Water Lane in the town of Bridgewater.

Peter Blood is a physician and an English gentleman who becomes a pirate out of a rankling sense of injustice. Barely escaping the gallows after his arrest for treating wounded rebels who were fighting the oppressive King James, Blood flees England and becomes enslaved on a Barbados plantation of buccaneers. When he escapes, no ship sailing the Spanish Main is safe from Blood and his companions. Abounding with adventure, color, romance, and strong social commentary on the evils of slavery and the dangers of intolerance, this classic adventure is a story about how oppression drives men to desperate actions, how fate plays a hand in everyone's life, and how love is ultimately the greatest power of all.

Edited with an introduction by Gary Hoppenstand.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:46 -0400)

"Peter Blood is a physician who becomes a pirate not for infamy and riches, but out of a rankling sense of injustice. Barely escaping the gallows after his arrest for treating a wounded rebel fighting the oppressive King James, Blood is unjustly transported to a Barbados plantation. Upon his escape, no ship sailing the Spanish Main is safe from Blood and his companions. Abounding with adventure, color, romance, and strong social commentary on the evils of slavery and the dangers of intolerance, this classic adventure is a story about how oppression drives men to desperate actions, how fate plays a hand in everyone's life, and how love is ultimately the greatest power of all."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,140,731 books! | Top bar: Always visible