Tripwire. Lee Child Publisher: Bantam by Lee…

Tripwire. Lee Child Publisher: Bantam (original 1999; edition 2011)

by Lee Child

2,884None1,995 (3.92)87
Member:gogglemiss
Title:Tripwire. Lee Child Publisher: Bantam
Authors:Lee Child
Info:Bantam (2011), Paperback, 544 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned, Favorites, Read 2012
Tags:fiction, suspense, military, crime, British authors

Tripwire by Lee Child (1999)

action (26) adventure (15) audiobook (12) crime (48) crime fiction (18) detective (15) ebook (49) fiction (173) Florida (13) Jack Reacher (114) Jack Reacher Series (13) Key West (13) Kindle (20) Lee Child (17) library (10) military (19) murder (15) mystery (144) New York (21) New York City (10) novel (14) own (13) Reacher (48) read (39) series (35) suspense (47) thriller (181) to-read (34) Vietnam (19) Vietnam War (13)

English (55)  Dutch (3)  All languages (58)
Tripwire is Lee Child’s third Jack Reacher novel, originally published in 1999. Much of the action takes place in the South Tower of the World Trade Building complex. A Cray supercomputer is the ultimate in technology and automobile satellite navigations systems are the latest rage. More surprisingly for fans who have read several other books in the series, Jack Reacher wears a watch (!), not yet having developed the uncanny ability to simply know the time that he exhibits in later books.

As in all the Reacher books, the narrative is fast paced and tense; we learn a great deal about army life and military procedure and culture; and we can also pick up some gossip about various small arms. Jack is as big and strong as ever, and his intuition is (as usual) unerring. This book stands out because it features Child’s most villainous villain, an army deserter-sadist-murderer-loan-shark with a nasty steel hook instead of a right hand. It also stands out because at the end - Spoiler Alert! - Reacher has inherited a house and is seriously considering settling down!

I would rate this book slightly above most of the other Reacher novels although I could see the ostensible surprise plot twist a mile away. It was a good airplane book - definitely a page-turner - and I read most of it on a flight from San Francisco to Chicago.

(JAB) ( )
  nbmars | Mar 19, 2014 |
This the the third book that I have read from lee child.I really enjoyed it and prefer it to the first two.I just felt like was not as drawn out as the second. ( )
  jonathan21 | Mar 11, 2014 |
This is the third in the Jack Reacher series and the third that I've read, in order. I'm afraid it is also going to be my last.

The first two were entertaining. This one was as well, but it just didn't work for me otherwise. There were too many improbabilities. A mid-20s guy lusting after a 15-year-old was just creepy and smacked of pedophilia. The romance later in the story did not feel romantic. And Jack Reacher seemed more a caricature than a believable character, and one who gave off chauvinistic vibes at that.

I'm sure that these negatives for me will not bother some other readers, but as for me, I'm moving on. ( )
  TooBusyReading | Jan 19, 2014 |
SUMMARY: Reacher's anonymity in Florida is shattered by an investigator who's come looking for him. But hours after his arrival, the stranger is murdered. Retracing the PI's trail back to New York, Reacher's compelled to find out who was looking for him and why. He never expected the reasons to be so personal-and twisted.
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Tripwire is the third installment in the thrilling Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. Jack is in the Florida keys. He is semi-settled having been there for a few months digging swimming pools and working as a bouncer at a local strip club. A private investigator comes to Florida looking for Reacher and Jack becomes suspicious when he turns up dead a day later. Deciding to investigate he heads to New York where he meets an old flame, his old boss and more deadly killers in a trail that leads ultimately to a former Vietnam soldier who will stop at nothing to stay hidden and keep his business in tact.

The book marks something of a maturity in Lee Childs writing, in a similar way a band matures with its third album.Read the full review here ( )
  thecrimescene | Aug 17, 2013 |
For my daughter, Ruth. Once the world's greatest kid, now a woman I'm proud to call my friend.
Hook Hobie owed the whole of his life to a secret nearly thirty years old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515143073, Mass Market Paperback)

Ex-military policeman Jack Reacher is lying low in Key West, digging up swimming pools by hand. He is not at all pleased when a private detective starts asking questions about him. But when the detective, Costello, turns up dead with his fingertips sliced off, Reacher realizes it is time to move on.

As in Lee Child's two previous thrillers, Die Trying and Killing Floor, Reacher is soon up to his neck in lethal trouble, this time involving a vicious Wall Street manipulator, a mysterious woman (of course), and the livelihood of a whole community. Even the fate of soldiers missing in action in Vietnam is stirred into the brew.

But this is not a book by one of the new breed of U.S. thriller writers. Child prides himself on his ability, as an Englishman, to write American thrillers that are utterly convincing in milieu and toughness of action, without a trace of English sensibility. Tripwire is no exception. Every bit as lean and compulsive as its predecessors, it also builds on the freshest aspect of those books: Reacher may be a tough, epic hero, but he always remains human and vulnerable. --Barry Forshaw

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:45 -0400)

Former military policeman Major Jack Reacher goes to the rescue of a 30-year-old woman lawyer he last saw when she was 15. She is the daughter of Reacher's late commanding officer and some nasty land swindlers want her dead.

Lee Child is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Four editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,837 books! | Top bar: Always visible