Tripwire. Lee Child Publisher: Bantam by Lee…

Tripwire. Lee Child Publisher: Bantam (original 1999; edition 2011)

by Lee Child

3,190731,748 (3.89)92
Member:gogglemiss
Title:Tripwire. Lee Child Publisher: Bantam
Authors:Lee Child
Info:Bantam (2011), Paperback, 544 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned, Favorites (inactive)
Tags:fiction, suspense, military, crime, British authors

Tripwire by Lee Child (1999)

Recently added byKathy89, private library, JurgenJacobs, Foxlibrary, Chas.Newport, birder4106, exfed, kebabb45

English (69)  Dutch (3)  All languages (72)
I have read or listened to several of the Reacher series, but it struck me while listening to this, the third in the series, that Jack Reacher is an extremely boring person who lives a prosaic, boring life. He seems to have no interests, no love of music or books, or hobbies. He suffers from terminal pseudo-guilt that inevitably gets him sticking his nose into situations fraught with potential violence. One character in this book described him as looking like a “condom overstuffed with walnuts.” He seems to consider that as being “in shape.” He has no family, no ties, no job, no intellectual interests. Geez, the last guy I would want to have a conversation with. Yet girls fawn over him (the author must think women are insipid little creatures.)

Some of the scenes were unnecessarily graphic. We know Hobie is a bad guy; it’s not necessary to beat us over the head with his sadism. The books would be far more satisfying if Reacher used a little more subtlety, more brain,and less brawn. OK, if you like fantasy; I doubt if I’ll read any more. ( )
  ecw0647 | Jul 2, 2015 |
Read enough of these now to say tripwire is one of the best reacher stories. ( )
  dham340 | May 10, 2015 |
I loved this book. This is actually the 5th Reacher book I've read. I kinda wish I'd read this without knowing that there were so many more after this because one of the great features of this book is Reacher's identity crisis -- wondering if he should stop drifting and settle down and wondering if he's lost his edge. It's got a fantastic climax scene, too. My only teeny tiny complaint is that Child leaves a few untied ends. I kinda wish he'd explained what happens to a few of the other characters at the end of the book. I don't want to spoil anything so I won't say anymore than that. Can't wait to read the next one! ( )
  twertz | Apr 23, 2015 |
Books that always end with a 'shoot-em-up' ending always leave me a bit disappointed. ( )
  JosephKing6602 | Jan 20, 2015 |
I am always interested in reading how different people rate the same book so differently. This was NOT my favorite in the series. I just finished it in order to move on to the next one. I just didn't feel any connection to any of the characters. I will read the next one but not just right now. ( )
  Maureen_Kovach | Jan 2, 2015 |
For my daughter, Ruth. Once the world's greatest kid, now a woman I'm proud to call my friend.
Hook Hobie owed the whole of his life to a secret nearly thirty years old.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515143073, Mass Market Paperback)

Ex-military policeman Jack Reacher is lying low in Key West, digging up swimming pools by hand. He is not at all pleased when a private detective starts asking questions about him. But when the detective, Costello, turns up dead with his fingertips sliced off, Reacher realizes it is time to move on.

As in Lee Child's two previous thrillers, Die Trying and Killing Floor, Reacher is soon up to his neck in lethal trouble, this time involving a vicious Wall Street manipulator, a mysterious woman (of course), and the livelihood of a whole community. Even the fate of soldiers missing in action in Vietnam is stirred into the brew.

But this is not a book by one of the new breed of U.S. thriller writers. Child prides himself on his ability, as an Englishman, to write American thrillers that are utterly convincing in milieu and toughness of action, without a trace of English sensibility. Tripwire is no exception. Every bit as lean and compulsive as its predecessors, it also builds on the freshest aspect of those books: Reacher may be a tough, epic hero, but he always remains human and vulnerable. --Barry Forshaw

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:32 -0400)

Former military policeman Major Jack Reacher goes to the rescue of a 30-year-old woman lawyer he last saw when she was 15. She is the daughter of Reacher's late commanding officer and some nasty land swindlers want her dead.

Lee Child is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,501,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible