Without Fail: (Jack Reacher 6) by Lee Child

Without Fail: (Jack Reacher 6) (original 2002; edition 2011)

by Lee Child

Member:PaulCranswick
Title:Without Fail: (Jack Reacher 6)
Authors:Lee Child
Info:Bantam (2011), Paperback, 560 pages
Collections:Your library, Crime / Thrillers

Without Fail by Lee Child (2002)

English (36)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (1)  All languages (40)
read 3 books of Jack Reacher series consecutively and with every book the interest in the series dips down a bit low...i guess that i should keep my hands off from the Jack Reacher series fr a while.
for this book..nt mch of a fun to read..evrything was predictible n u can see it comin if u have read some books of this series..all in all an Average Read. ( )
  abhidd1687 | Mar 26, 2015 |
The book I read had the New York Times quotation " If Without Fail, doesn't hook you on Lee Child, I give up"

This is a nonsense praise quote... I doubt anyone who wants "action" will finish the book.

I on the other hand like details and there is plenty of scenic details in the story. You can place every piece of furniture in almost every room that is entered, every person on a street... you get the picture... Sometimes it almost feels like padding in the prose. But often a little detail in description of a room provides a clue to the problem later on... so it behooves you to read it all.

You are almost in every meeting in terms of real time. Hearing all arguments, reanalysis due to red herrings and if there is a gun involved in the scene almost a full page describes the gun in detail.

I did not like the beginning of the book with the old black female singer... it had nothing to do with the plot though it tied into the end of the book. All it did was to serve as a reminder (as if you need one) as to how tough he was.

I did like the book as it worked through the problem of protecting the Vice President of the USA from assassination. The mystery held me and it was fun to try to anticipate the answers. As others have said I questioned why obvious sites of sniper fire were not adequately monitored (Bismark church and warehouse in Washington DC) but I found the book flowed reasonably well though the anxiety of M.E. was annoying for the staus she had in the Secret Service.

A nice readable book for me but I thought the New York Times quote was off the mark. ( )
  Lynxear | Mar 25, 2015 |
I read this in its entirety while on the air flight to Vancouver for vacation. Jack Reacher is the protagonist, a former military policeman, essentially an invincible character who is the hero of several books. He is hired to probe weaknesses in a presidential security detail, ends up in love with a Secret Service agent who is killed by a would-be assassin, who in turn is killed by Reacher. Fast-paced, interesting detail, and suspenseful. ( )
  neurodrew | Feb 8, 2015 |
The Vice President needs protection against a mysterious assailant. The Secret Service enlists the help of ex-military tough guy “Reacher” to find out why. My dad told me this book was great. I’m telling you it’s great only if you like government thrillers and lots of talk about guns. I’m telling most of you this book was OK. ( )
  sixslug | Jan 18, 2015 |
Another excellent book in the jack Reacher series by Lee Child. Reacher finds two killers who are attempting to assassinate the Vice President Elect.
  terrygraap | Jan 8, 2015 |
They found out about him in July and stayed angry all through August.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0515144312, Mass Market Paperback)

What better way to test the security surrounding a U.S. vice president-elect than to hire someone skilled in the killing arts to penetrate his protection? Assassination strategy, though, is only part of the assignment facing Jack Reacher in Without Fail. This restive, blunt-edged ex-military cop must also determine whether recent threats against VP-to-be Senator Brook Armstrong are legitimate or are primarily intended to embarrass the perfectionist head of Armstrong's new Secret Service detail, M.E. Froelich, who happens to have been a girlfriend of Reacher's late brother.

If Without Fail lacks the emotional urgency of Lee Child's previous novel, Echo Burning, it still barely lets the reader catch a decent breath between plot crests. Jack and his fetching yet formidable colleague, Frances Neagley, must figure out how warning letters to Armstrong are being delivered into the Secret Service sanctum, whether the senator is at risk because of something political or personal, and who staged the demonstration murders of two innocent men also named Armstrong, first initial B. Unfortunately, a few twists (including the source of a thumbprint applied to the threats against Armstrong) can be figured out in advance, and the story is light on character development. A tiny breach in Reacher's reclusive carapace opens as Froelich transfers the love she once felt for his brother toward him, and there are suggestions that Neagley may have depths of feeling just waiting to be plumbed. However, other players are mere ciphers--the sacrificial victims of an action-oriented yarn. --J. Kingston Pierce

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:15 -0400)

Hired by the Secret Service to test their shield around the new vice president of the United States, ex-military cop Jack Reacher discovers that a team of assassins is already planning a hit on the vice president.

Lee Child is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,566,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible