Das verbotene Haus by Joanne Harris

Das verbotene Haus (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Joanne Harris, Ursula Wulfekamp (Übersetzer)

Title:Das verbotene Haus
Authors:Joanne Harris
Other authors:Ursula Wulfekamp (Übersetzer)
Info:List Hardcover (2006), Gebundene Ausgabe, 432 Seiten
Collections:Your library, 2013 gelesen
Tags:England, Privatschule, Familie, Freunde

Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris (2005)

The Secret History by Donna Tartt (amyblue)
    The Wishing Game by Patrick Redmond (amyblue)
    Well-Schooled in Murder by Elizabeth George (Caramellunacy)
    Caramellunacy: Both stories feature a murder at a decaying English prep school and deal with class and identity issues. Gentlemen and Players features a slower pace and an elaborate twist as the main character seeks revenge for former wrongs. Well-Schooled in Murder is a more straight-forward murder mystery that features George's pair of Scotland Yard detectives Lynley and Havers.… (more)
    The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (Phlox72)
    Arcadia Falls by Carol Goodman (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Another mystery story set in a boarding school. Both are well written with interesting layers to the plots.

English (79)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (82)
This is a glorious study of revenge and Machiavellian intrigue, set against the background of St Oswald’s, a minor public school that looms over its local area. The story is told through interleaved narratives – one from curmudgeonly Classics teacher Roy Straitley, an old boy of the school who returned as a teacher and, having put in thirty years, is now in reach of his century of terms (an achievement that would see his name entered on one of the Honours Boards that deck the School’s hall). As an arch traditionalist, teaching the most traditional of subjects, Straitley finds himself beset by the School’s current senior management team which is bent upon modernising the school to aid its constant struggle to keep attracting new pupils. Straitley finds himself increasingly irritated, and also ostracised, by the proliferation of management jargon which seems to find little room for the consideration of the needs of the pupils or staff.

The new school year brings with it a crop of new teachers, one of whom writes a second narrative which is woven throughout Straitley's. We learn that, unbeknown to anyone else in the Common Room, this new teacher is already very familiar with St Oswald’s. Their father had been the School’s Porter and they had grown up in the school's gatehouse. While growing up the teacher had developed an overwhelming obsession with to school, even to the extent of masquerading as one of the junior boys. This new member of staff is desperate to undermine the school, as an act of revenge for what they see as a lifetime of exclusion and slights (conscious or otherwise) delivered by pupils and masters alike.

The story is utterly spellbinding. Harris’s use of language is delightful, and her portrayal of Straitley as a lone voice of sanity battling against waves of hollow management talk and psychobabble is highly amusing (though also bitterly poignant by dint of its plausibility). I also found many alarming (delicious?) echoes of my own old school. I have always loved stories set in old fashioned schools, and this is definitely one of the best of the genre that I have read. ( )
  Eyejaybee | Oct 2, 2016 |
I'm not sure where to start with reviewing this book. I didn't know anything about it and for the first 100 pages, I just had no clue where the book was going. I didn't really know what the point was. I don't mean it in a bad way, just in a mysterious way. Then some unexpected things happen, and then the author decides in the last 75 pages to throw all these crazy plot twists at you that leave you utterly shocked! Everything started to make sense and everything that you thought you understood was wrong. The ending made this book amazing and I'm so happy I finished it. It was a surprising delight. ( )
  Ahtoosa | Sep 9, 2016 |
St Oswald's Grammar School starts the year with a new teacher who has assumed a false identity to wreak revenge (on the school as a body) for a childhood loss. The narrative is told in two different perspectives, alternating between Roy Straitley, the Latin master, who has taught there for 33 years, and the mysterious vengeful protagonist. I thought the author did a good job of making the narratives distinct and the voice of Roy Straitley was very well done, with his cynicism about the administrative side of running a school and his affection for the boys.

I had to force myself to keep picking this book up as the tone was so malevolent and threatening. I also worked out what was going on and who the culprit was about half way through, which made the ending a bit underwhelming. The body count revealed in the sort of epilogue-like last chapters was extreme to say the least. ( )
  pgchuis | Jun 7, 2016 |
Quite different from Joanne Harris's earlier works, this is set in a British public (ie private) school. It's a tale of revenge, but very cleverly written. Two narrators, two viewpoints, and a carefully unfolding story encompassing past and present. I could see one of the revelations from the end before it happened, but not all of them. Hard to put down by the time I was half way through! Recommended. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This story is chock FULL of plot twists & turns, sadness, & humor. It's one of the best rotational first person narrator books I've read in a long time. Just when you THINK you've figured out who is who, the author twists it again, & you are left going, I didn't see THAT coming! It carries the reader back & forth through 2 time frames, the modern era of St. Oswald's, a British upper class private boys' school, & a timeframe approximately 14 or so years previous to that to events that happened to set off the chain of events in the modern timeframe.

I appreciated the reader's guide at the back of the book that translated some of the Latin phrases sprinkled throughout the book as well.

Altogether, a very enjoyable murder mystery romp! ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 11, 2014 |

Szűr-Szabó, KatalinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vré, Monique deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wulfekamp, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Derek Fry - One of the old school
If there's one thing I've learned in the past fifteen years, it's this: that murder is really no big deal.

Set in the present during Michaelmas term at St Oswald's, an elite public school for boys somewhere in the North of England, the book is a psychological suspense novel about mysterious goings-on at the school which, as the term progresses, increase in both frequency and seriousness.

For generations, privileged young men have attended St. Oswald's Grammar School for Boys, groomed for success by the likes of Roy Straitley, the eccentric Classics teacher who has been a fixture there for more than thirty years. This year, however, the wind of unwelcome change is blowing, and Straitley is finally, reluctantly, contemplating retirement. As the new term gets under way, a number of incidents befall students and faculty alike, beginning as small annoyances but soon escalating in both number and consequence. St. Oswald's is unraveling, and only Straitley stands in the way of its ruin. But he faces a formidable opponent with a bitter grudge and a master strategy that has been meticulously planned to the final, deadly move.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:24 -0400)

Young Snyde, whose father was dismissed from St. Oswald's, an aristocratic British boys' school, returns masquerading as a teacher planning revenge.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,764,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible