Chill Factor by Sandra Brown

Chill Factor

by Sandra Brown

A serial killer is on the loose in the North Carolina mountain town of Cleary. A fifth victim is suspected. Lilly Martin is packing up the final things from her just sold mountain cabin. A snow storm hits and Lilly finds herself trapped in the cabin with a man who might be the killer. Her "ex" is the local law enforcement officer in charge of the case. With the involvement of the local law enforcement officials, the FBI, and the local "posse" this one has plenty of action. It also has a couple of subplots that tie into the case. I likely would have abandoned this book if I'd been reading it. It's a bit too contemporary and too amoral for my tastes. I listened to the audio version by Harper. The narrator did a good job, but I just didn't really care for the book. ( )
  thornton37814 | May 9, 2016 |
Sandra Brown is one of my top "go-to" author's when I'm in the mood for an intense suspense/thriller that will keep me guessing. Chill Factor does NOT disappoint! I enjoy books that hook me from the start and pull me into the investigation and action. I found myself engaged in the story, looking for Red Herrings among the clues and searching for possible suspects. I truly enjoyed all the waffling I did regarding Whodunnit in this book!

The creepy characters were super creepy and you'll love to hate them. The heroine was strong, independent and a bit on the stubborn side. Yes, I liked her. The tortured hero...*swoon*...I'm such a sucker for tortured heroes. His story really caught me off guard. That's another perk with Sandra Brown. Her "surprises" make perfect sense. I also enjoyed Dutch's failed battles with the weather and his urgent need to get to the cabin. You know what they say about karma...

Overall a fast-paced thriller that will give you plenty of chills and a very satisfying ending.

Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |
Great book. Suspense, surprising twists and some romance. ( )
  soosthemoose | Feb 1, 2016 |
Newly divorced Lilly Martin is packing up the last of her belongings at her recently sold mountain cabin. Lilly's ex is Dutch Burton, police chief of Cleary, North Carolina, a town that has been plagued by the disappearances of five women. When a severe snowstorm strikes, Lilly is late leaving the cabin. Ben Tierney is a journalist who specializes in reporting on extreme sports who just so happens to be up in the mountains burying one of the missing dead women. When Lilly hits Ben with her car during the snowstorm, the two are forced to work together to make it back to Lilly's cabin and wait out the storm. When Lilly opens Ben's backpack she discovers a pair of handcuffs and a blue ribbon, which is the serial killer's signature. While holding a gun on Ben, Lilly handcuffs him and accuses him of being the murderer. Meanwhile, Chief Burton becomes frantic when he receives a cryptic call from Lilly. His jealousy and suspicions go into overdrive as he and his childhood buddy, Wes Hamer, plot to rescue her.

From the opening pages of this thriller, everything points to Ben Tierney as a serial killer. Yet his manner and moral strength do not match up with those of a brutal killer. Every time you think you have the plot figured out, the author throws out a few red herrings. Sandra Brown fans will definitely enjoy this thrill packed romantic suspense novel.
  Olivermagnus | Jan 17, 2016 |
Sandra Brown is masterful in this psychological suspense thriller about the disappearance of five females within the Cleary, North Carolina area. Lilly, the soon too be ex-wife of Chief Dutch Burton of the Cleary police department is trapped in a cabin on top of Cleary's Peak during a winter blizzard with what she believes is the serial killer of this missing females. They both work together in their efforts to survive the storm, their emotions run ramped, she's not sure what to believe, the passing of time is questioning her judgement. The authorities are trying desperately to rescue Lilly, but the blizzard has other thoughts. Will they reach the peak in time or will the area loose another female to this killer. ( )
  Gatorhater | Jun 1, 2015 |

Lang, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nemunienė, Gražinasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pekkanen, HilkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sørensen, Henrik EnemarkTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The grave was substandard.

Five women are missing from the sleepy mountain town of Cleary, North Carolina, and a blue ribbon has been left near where each woman was last seen. Lilly Martin has returned to Cleary to close the sale of her cabin. But when her car skids and strikes a stranger, Ben Tierney, as he emerges from the woods, they've no choice but to wait out a brutal blizzard in the cabin. And as the hours of their confinement mount, Lilly wonders if the greater threat to her safety isn't the storm, but the stranger beside her....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:01 -0400)

Magazine editor Lilly Martin, packing up the vacation cabin she and her ex-husband owned in Cleary, North Carolina, where he now works as chief of police, becomes trapped in a snowstorm with Ben Tierney, who she struck with her car while trying to drive down the mountain, and the situation becomes critical when she uncovers evidence that Tierney may be the serial killer who has been operating in the area for over two years.… (more)

Sandra Brown is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,962,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible