Guests of the Sheik: An Ethnography of an…

Guests of the Sheik: An Ethnography of an Iraqi Village (1965)

by Elizabeth Warnock Fernea

English (10)  Piratical (1)  All (11)
I read this as a freshman in college and it has never been more relevant. It is an ethnography of the women of an Iraqi village named El Nahra. At the time it was written, the author was not an anthropologist but the wife of one of the men in the village. In fact, she was a newlywed!

I wish I knew where my copy of this book was. I'd like to read it again. ( )
  bookofmoons | Sep 1, 2016 |
This book looks at what rural Iraqi village life was like in 1956-1958, through the eyes of an American woman. As a newlywed, she accompanied her husband to Iraq and lived there with him for two years as he conducted his ethnographic research. For a detailed review, see my web site at http://www.shira.net/books/breviews/fernea-guestsofsheik.htm ( )
  shiradotnet | Jan 21, 2010 |
I've recommended this book to tons of people. Warnock's book was a text for a modern Middle East class I took a few years ago. It is a classic and fascinating. After reading this book I wanted to read everying by Warnock that I could find. ( )
  lnlamb | Jan 19, 2009 |
Bought at Powell's in June. Started 7/5/08 finished 7/13/08. I read most of this while in SD for Grandma Schuldt's funeral. I liked this book for the honest light it cast on the lives of women in Iraq 50 years ago. I wonder if anything has changed since this was written? It takes place in a small, secluded village outside of Baghdad. The most interesting thing was the realization by the author that her relationship w/her husband, the typical American marriage, appears to Iraqi women as one of loneliness. ( )
  sjberberich | Jan 13, 2009 |
The night train from Baghdad to Basra was already hissing and creaking in its tracks when Bob and I arrived at the platform.

A delightful, well-written, and vastly informative ethnographic study, this is an account of Fernea's two-year stay in a tiny rural village in Iraq, where she assumed the dress and sheltered life of a harem woman.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:08 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,296,974 books! | Top bar: Always visible