Dangerous Angels by Francesca Lia Block
    Tithe by Holly Black (sylvatica)
    sylvatica: Sometimes dark, sometimes magical, sometimes funny.

This a collection of stories called 'The Weezie Bat Books' that was first released in the late 80's early 90's and now re-released in one book, with a gorgeous cover.

I assumed the ultimate goal of these stories was to raise awareness in young adults about homosexuality and other issues. I also believe that when they were written the tales were perfect for the goal audience but physically written all wrong. The stories are decent, kept a decent pace, and fit for the genre but the writing itself was atrocious. I couldn't stay with the story because it was like I was reading at a 4th grade reading level yet the stories are geared for teenagers.

I coudln't handle the juxtaposition or the use and disuse of consonants in random places. If you are a young adult who usually only focus on the story than this would be an excellent book for you, if you need deep rich writing, perhaps not. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
a very good friend of mine insisted i read this book. she insisted so much that she went to amazon and bought it for me lol. this set of stories is amazing, and heart breaking. i spent a lot of time reading it and bursting into girly tears. i recommend this to anyone and everyone... ( )
  nimil | Dec 8, 2013 |
Enjoyable, fairytale-like, I think Los Angeles does feel like this sometimes. ( )
  mermind | Oct 6, 2013 |
5Q, 3P "Weetzie Bat" weaves a magical, fairytale like story full of truth and consequence in the colorful 1980’s urban landscape of L.A.-City of Dangerous Angels. Block’s economy of language brings to life the dynamic characters of Weetzie and her friends and the urban, punk lives that they live, with the backdrop of love, loss, and betrayal. Thinking about the context of the time that it was written, Block deftly handles the issues of AIDS without ever mentioning the word but tapping into the fear and confusion that was sweeping a nation.

I gave this book a 3P by current standards. I think that there were times that this may have warranted a 5P, especially when it was fresh, new, and radical. I think that there is still an audience for it today, but not as large with other things more on teens’ minds. I would risk recommending to any teen that had recently read and loved Melissa Marr’s "Wicked Lovely" series.
  DanielleJones | Apr 9, 2013 |
About halfway through reading this, I finally figured out what was bothering me about the Weetzie Bat books in general. It reminded me a lot of my feelings towards Rent. When I was sixteen, I freaking loved that musical. I thought it was so awesome, and raw, and real, and this is how real life totally is you guys. Nowadays, I still think Rent is a good show, but at least I realize how much of it is about trust fund hipsters whining about how no one recognizes their arty-ness. And having read Dangerous Angels, I think I have a very similar reaction. I’m sure if I had read this in my teens, I would have loved it, but as I’m reading it now, I feel like it’s a treatise on real art.

It’s hard reading this as an omnibus because the first three books—Weetzie Bat, Witch Baby and Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys —are incredibly weak. I do think Francesca Lia Block’s a fantastic writer, and there’s some beautiful descriptions throughout the whole series. But the first three volumes don’t do anything for me. There’s really not much to the plot and characters and a lot of the narration reads as “And then this happened. And then this happened.” It can be pulled off, but it doesn’t really work here. I also don’t like the strong emphasis on the magical aspect. There are moments of darkness sprinkled throughout the whole series, but it feels like Block has to shoehorn this fairyland of Hollywood glamour where nobody hurts. It’s part of the reason why I liked Missing Angel Juan the most, as it’s the only story to actually have its characters confront the darker aspect of the real world. With Weetzie Bat and most of the other characters, I feel like none of them ever progressed beyond the emotional age of nine years. Witch Baby feels like the only character who grows throughout the series, and the only who’s willing to leave said fairyland of Hollywood glamour. The thing I’ve liked about Block’s other books is that she’s able to blur the line between fantasy and reality a little more, and not this very overt “MAGIC MAGIC MAGIC.” And also, her dialogue feels so unnatural to me. Maybe it’s because I don’t live in SoCal in the late eighties, but I don’t get the feeling people actually talk like Weetzie and her friends. And sometimes, the slang feels like it’s saying, “Pfft, you can’t keep up with our slinkster-cool talk, you lanka.”

I really wanted to love these books, but I just couldn’t get into the story right away, which really lessened my enjoyment of the volumes I did like. And then I feel disappointed in myself because I don’t know if I’m missing something and I feel like an idiot. I don’t know.
  princess-starr | Mar 31, 2013 |
The reason Weetzie Bat hated high school was because no one understood.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064406970, Paperback)

Lanky lizards! The slinkster-cool novels in Francesca Lia Block's Weetzie Bat series have finally been compiled into one delicious volume. All of the ethereal, mesmerizing titles are here--Weetzie Bat, Witch Baby, Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys, Missing Angel Juan, and Baby Be-Bop--together like the big, beautiful family described on their pages. Block's unique, poetic style immediately draws readers into an intoxicating magical-realist world populated by empathetic, original characters (as well as a few ghosts, fairies, and genies): "He kissed her. A kiss about apple pie à la mode with the vanilla creaminess melting in the pie heat. A kiss about chocolate, when you haven't eaten chocolate in a year. A kiss about palm trees speeding by, trailing pink clouds when you drive down the Strip sizzling with champagne. A kiss about spotlights fanning the sky and the swollen sea spilling like tears all over your legs."

We cheer for these young women and men as they struggle with the universal trials of growing up, finding love, and letting go--all within the vivid, glittering, urban embrace of Los Angeles. Block's stories about finding yourself, being true to your dreams, and believing in what might seem impossible will inspire teens and adults alike with the resounding messages of hope and the transformative power of love. --Brangien Davis

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:36 -0400)

Presents five novels of life in modern Los Angeles, where Weetzie Bat and her friends and family interact with ghosts from their past and with each other as they search for love, connection, and acceptance.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,353,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible