Dangerous Angels by Francesca Lia Block
    Tithe by Holly Black (sylvatica)
    sylvatica: Sometimes dark, sometimes magical, sometimes funny.

I first read these books when I was in middle school, and while I didn't necessarily get everything that was going on, I loved the characters and they made me feel like being different wasn't such a bad thing. That even though I was different, I was and am still an amazing person to my friends and family. Rereading these books now as an adult, I feel like this message is more important then ever. All of the characters are interesting and creative but not exactly the most normal people in the world. From their unique living/family situation to their crazy names, they are as different from each other as can be. But they still all love each other, and Block's beautiful writing truly shows the beauty within each of the characters, and within the settings. I still love these books and hope others do too. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
Sometimes the book can be too cute! It's just way too fairytale-y and cutesy. and I got tired of reading it. Sorry, but DNF.
1 vote kara-karina | Nov 20, 2015 |
The reason Weetzie Bat hated high school was because no one understood.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064406970, Paperback)

Lanky lizards! The slinkster-cool novels in Francesca Lia Block's Weetzie Bat series have finally been compiled into one delicious volume. All of the ethereal, mesmerizing titles are here--Weetzie Bat, Witch Baby, Cherokee Bat and the Goat Guys, Missing Angel Juan, and Baby Be-Bop--together like the big, beautiful family described on their pages. Block's unique, poetic style immediately draws readers into an intoxicating magical-realist world populated by empathetic, original characters (as well as a few ghosts, fairies, and genies): "He kissed her. A kiss about apple pie à la mode with the vanilla creaminess melting in the pie heat. A kiss about chocolate, when you haven't eaten chocolate in a year. A kiss about palm trees speeding by, trailing pink clouds when you drive down the Strip sizzling with champagne. A kiss about spotlights fanning the sky and the swollen sea spilling like tears all over your legs."

We cheer for these young women and men as they struggle with the universal trials of growing up, finding love, and letting go--all within the vivid, glittering, urban embrace of Los Angeles. Block's stories about finding yourself, being true to your dreams, and believing in what might seem impossible will inspire teens and adults alike with the resounding messages of hope and the transformative power of love. --Brangien Davis

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:06 -0400)

Presents five novels of life in modern Los Angeles, where Weetzie Bat and her friends and family interact with ghosts from their past and with each other as they search for love, connection, and acceptance.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,388,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible