Faerie Wars (Faerie Wars Chronicles) by…

Faerie Wars (Faerie Wars Chronicles) (edition 2004)

by Herbie Brennan (Author)

Member:tekknolagi
Title:Faerie Wars (Faerie Wars Chronicles)
Authors:Herbie Brennan (Author)
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2004), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan

Recently added byCarlos_P, wisemetis, private library

English (38)  Italian (1)  All languages (39)
Reminiscent of Artemis Fowl books, YA technofantasy. Fun, not too thoughtful. Lots of imagination. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
This book. (!!!!)

I read it when I was younger and I just absolutely loved it. I read it when I was about 13, and I liked that it was a little bit grittier, a little bit more serious than most fantasy books. The protagonist seemed to be making some quite serious decisions throughout the story, which I appreciated as well. There are quite a few 'mature' themes, but to be honest, it's fiction. I'm... more or less happy, as a teacher, when I see kids reading.

ANYWAY.

I loved Brennan's British/Irish wit, dry, dark and clever.

I can't remember much of the plot (apparently there are some twists that I totally forgot about!) but I loved the writing style, I loved the voice of the narrator. It was one of the books that I stayed up all night reading, which was rare for me to do when I was that young.

... I don't normally read YA and children's literature (unless it's for a class), but I'm tempted to reread this book. Hmm.

(Coincidentally, the author loves a holiday spot in Ireland where I've been a few years ago. I love it too! That's so weird.) ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
I read half, and just couldn't develop enough interest to go on. I wanted to know more about Henry's family - what an intriguing teen realistic novel that could have been. But we spent so much time in the run-of-the-mill 'faerie' world, focusing on adventure and the duties of the Purple Emperor, his heir, and the sister who could probably have run the 'Wars' better than the whole male clan, that I just got bemused and bored. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
I definitely enjoyed it. It was a very good mix of scifi, fantasy, and real life similar to Artemis Fowl but still different.

I was not expecting Henry's personal life problems, but they added so much more to the story. It made Henry very real. His return to real life at the end, with just a bit more confidence, is very nice as well.

Henry is my favorite character, but he spends a surprisingly small amount of time in the story. It's a little odd, since he is set up as the main character in the first few chapters, only to be cast aside in favor of Pyrgus and Blue. Pyrgus is okay, but I'm not fond of Blue. Every time they had a scene, I was mostly just hoping Henry would be next.

The plot itself is very interesting, if a little complicated. I got the three villains all mixed up, which made the plot twists a little confusing. They were also all very stereotypical villains, with none of the depth given Henry or Mr. Fogarty.

I'm also not entirely sure what age group this is for. The stereotypical villains and the age of the main characters make me think it is for pre-teens and maybe young adults -- and yet there is a lot of stuff directly referencing sex. No explicit sex scenes of course, but there are quite a few references -- from Henry's parents's problems to Henry seeing Blue in the bath. And yet the story itself does not seem complex for or written for young adults.

Despite all of this, I really did enjoy it, and definitely recommend it. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Mar 9, 2016 |
For Jacks always
Henry got up early on the day that changed his life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765356740, Mass Market Paperback)

Henry Atherton thinks his life is spinning out of control. But nothing prepares him for the invisible portal in old man Fogarty's backyard . . . and the unexpected stranger who comes through it.
            Pyrgus Malvae, crown prince of the Faerie realm, is on the run. Too many people want the rebellious young heir dead:  a scheming sorcerer, a powerful demon, the malignant leader of the Faeries of the Night, and maybe even a hidden traitor within his father's court.
            Henry and Pyrgus come from very different worlds, but it may be up to Henry to save all of Faerie from being conquered by the Nightside, even if it means crossing over to a magical realm where nothing is ever what it seems . . . and no one can be trusted.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:43 -0400)

Troubled by family problems, Henry finds his life taking a whole new dimension when he and his friend, old Mr. Fogarty, become involved with Prince Pyrgus Malvae who has been sent from the faerie world in order to escape the treacherous Faeries of the Night.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,065,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible