Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd

Bog Child (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Siobhan Dowd

Member:KeenePubLibYA
Title:Bog Child
Authors:Siobhan Dowd
Info:David Fickling Books (2008), Library Binding, 320 pages

Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd (2008)

English (40)  French (1)  All languages (41)
Didn't like it! ( )
  David.TenBroeck | May 8, 2016 |
I was really interested in the Troubles in N. Ireland durning the time this story takes place, and of the age of the main character. I really loved reading this multi-leveled story about a boy who finds a body in the bog while digging sod that runs concurrent to the Troubles and his family's preoccupation with his brother wasting away on hunger strike in Long Kesh prison. ( )
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 6, 2016 |
  thukpa | Feb 5, 2016 |
It took a while to really become involved in this book, but when I did I was glad I persevered. This book will not appeal to everyone; it not an easy read nor is it action-packed or overly romantic. However, the big themes of conflict, sacrifice, peace, life and death, and a boy letting go of his childhood kept me engaged to the end. Well worth the read. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
The bog lay in the bright, slanting morning light, the dew-drops sparkling like millions of diamonds. A large crowd of the local inhabitants had already gathered... They were tightly grouped in a ring around a dark-coloured human head, with a tuft of short-cropped hair, which stuck up clear of the dark brown peat. Part of the neck and shoulders was also exposed. we were clearly face to face once again with one of the bog people.
P.V. Glob, The Bog People
For my three sisters, Oona, Denise, Enda - my love as ever.
They'd stolen a march on the day.

DIGGING FOR PEAT in the mountain with his Uncle Tally, Fergus finds the body of a child, and it looks like she’s been murdered. As Fergus tries to make sense of the mad world around him—his brother on hunger-strike in prison, his growing feelings for Cora, his parents arguing over the Troubles, and him in it up to the neck, blackmailed into acting as courier to God knows what—a little voice comes to him in his dreams, and the mystery of the bog child unfurls.

Bog Child is an astonishing novel exploring the sacrifices made in the name of peace, and the unflinching strength of the human spirit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:25 -0400)

In 1981, the height of Ireland's "Troubles," eighteen-year-old Fergus is distracted from his upcoming A-level exams by his imprisoned brother's hunger strike, the stress of being a courier for Sinn Fein, and dreams of a murdered girl whose body he discovered in a bog.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,514,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible