Anansi and the Box of Stories: A West…

by Stephen Krensky, Jeni Reeves (Illustrator)

30None364,212 (3.67)None
Member:mdgilmor
Title:Anansi and the Box of Stories: A West African Folktale (On My Own Folklore)
Authors:Stephen Krensky
Other authors:Jeni Reeves (Illustrator)
Info:Millbrook Press (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 48 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:folklore, 1-5, anansi

Anansi and the Box of Stories: A West African Folktale (On My Own Folklore) by Stephen Krensky

Anansi, the first spider, wishes to know the stories of the world. The stories are being held captive by the sky God, Nyame. Anansi goes to Nyami to request the stories. Nyame gives him four extremely difficult tasks, and says that if he completes them, he will release the stories to Anansi. Anansi plays clever tricks on all four of the animals, brings them to the sky God, and retrieves the stories. He shares them with everyone.
  sbasler | Mar 14, 2014 |
I love Anansi stories. I was in a classroom where we read like 5 of them and compared each one and chose our favorites.I like this one because of the African style artwork and the the hero aspect that Anansi has to take on. Some of the Anansi stories involve trickery, I also like that. ( )
  Brettch | Dec 8, 2013 |
I really liked this book. The illustrations are colorful and while not specifically African they do have a culturally authentic feel to them. I liked that in this retelling Anansi is portrayed as a man. The story also integrates elements of different African folklore (e.g. Mmoatia has backward feet which is a characteristic of fairies in West African tales). I learned about this in the brief but informative afterword. I also liked that he collaborated so much with his wife.
  Shermens | Dec 6, 2013 |
Part of the On My Own Folklore series, in which folktales are presented in simplified text for beginning readers, Anansi and the Box of Stories features West Africa's iconic trickster hero.

Although commonly depicted as a spider, Anansi is seen in his human form in this tale, in which he must capture four very dangerous and elusive creatures in order to convince Nyame the Sky God to share his stories with the world.

I found Krensky's narrative engaging, and appreciated the role played by Anansi's clever wife Aso. With a brief author's note, and suggestions for further reading, this title will both entertain and educate young readers, allowing them a brief glimpse into another culture. ( )
1 vote AbigailAdams26 | Jun 26, 2013 |
A nice version of the tale of how Anansi procured the stories from the sky god, Nyame. 4 creatures had to be turned over to Nyame before he would release the tales. With his wife's help (really her ideas) he cleverly tricks and captures them one by one and hands them to Nyame. In this version he is depicted as a man with spider ability to weave a web. He then shares these stories which were spread all over the lands. Illustrations are bold and lush and highlight the beauty of these tales. ( )
  Scottid | May 24, 2013 |

The sky god Nyame keeps all the world's stories locked in a box. But if Anansi can trick some of the earth's fiercest and quickest creatures, Nyame will share his stories. Will Anansi succeed?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:17 -0400)

A retelling of the Anansi story and how he fulfilled a quest to acquire the sky god's box of stories .

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,406,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible