Anansi and the Box of Stories: A West…

by Stephen Krensky, Jeni Reeves (Illustrator)

Member:mdgilmor
Title:Anansi and the Box of Stories: A West African Folktale (On My Own Folklore)
Authors:Stephen Krensky
Other authors:Jeni Reeves (Illustrator)
Info:Millbrook Press (2008), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 48 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:folklore, 1-5, anansi

Anansi and the Box of Stories: A West African Folktale (On My Own Folklore) by Stephen Krensky

Anansi goes out on an adventure to capture four challenging animals by request of Nyame, the sky god, in exchange for admission into the box of stories. In order to find these animals and catch them, he goes to great lengths, and has many tricks up his sleeve. This story's illustrations are so vibrant and detailed, really adding to the story-telling. I think children would be very intrigued by the illustrations, and it would help a really young audience to follow along with what is happening in the story.
  ErinnnPratt | Jun 8, 2014 |
Anansi sets out to capture the 4 fierce animals Nyame the Sky God has named his price for Nyame's great box of incredible stories. Anansi must use all his cunning and trickery to subdue them.
  stacy3176 | Mar 16, 2014 |
Anansi, the first spider, wishes to know the stories of the world. The stories are being held captive by the sky God, Nyame. Anansi goes to Nyami to request the stories. Nyame gives him four extremely difficult tasks, and says that if he completes them, he will release the stories to Anansi. Anansi plays clever tricks on all four of the animals, brings them to the sky God, and retrieves the stories. He shares them with everyone.
  sbasler | Mar 14, 2014 |
I love Anansi stories. I was in a classroom where we read like 5 of them and compared each one and chose our favorites.I like this one because of the African style artwork and the the hero aspect that Anansi has to take on. Some of the Anansi stories involve trickery, I also like that. ( )
  Brettch | Dec 8, 2013 |
I really liked this book. The illustrations are colorful and while not specifically African they do have a culturally authentic feel to them. I liked that in this retelling Anansi is portrayed as a man. The story also integrates elements of different African folklore (e.g. Mmoatia has backward feet which is a characteristic of fairies in West African tales). I learned about this in the brief but informative afterword. I also liked that he collaborated so much with his wife.
  Shermens | Dec 6, 2013 |

The sky god Nyame keeps all the world's stories locked in a box. But if Anansi can trick some of the earth's fiercest and quickest creatures, Nyame will share his stories. Will Anansi succeed?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:17 -0400)

A retelling of the Anansi story and how he fulfilled a quest to acquire the sky god's box of stories .

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,355,322 books! | Top bar: Always visible