The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan

The Middle Place (2008)

by Kelly Corrigan

I kind of felt like the blurb on the back of this book was misleading. the story started out being about Kelly and her cancer diagnosis, but by the middle of the book, focus shifted to her father's parallel cancer diagnosis, and I had a harder time with it.

I get that Kelly is close with her father, and has a special bond with him. and I can't even imagine losing one of my parents, to cancer or anything else. However, her unfailing support and love of Greenie in comparison to how harsh she acts towards her mother and even her husband at times really grated on me. I do acknowledge that her reactions and attitude were realistic, and I appreciated her honesty. I just had some issues with where the book went, since I had expected it to really focus more on her illness and the treatment of it.

overall, the book was okay, just not quite what I expected it to be. ( )
  klack128 | Oct 11, 2015 |
This is a solid memoir. Definitely a good read ( )
  csweder | Jan 8, 2015 |
This book sat around on my shelves for years, and even through two moves. I quickly grabbed it for a trip that I knew would be disastrous for a library book. Boy, I'm glad I did.

I finished it in about 5 days. I had no idea what I was getting into, really. Had no idea it was nonfiction, sort of memoir-like. Kelly Corrigan is a wonderful writer. There are some lines in the book that, if I were the sort, I would highlight or copy down and try to pass them off as my own.

She writes so honestly, so heartbreakingly, I wish I'd been a friend so I could bring over a casserole. And wine. And stay and help her consume both.

Her father reminds me of my grandpa. I didn't actually make that connection until now. I'm positive everyone knows a "Greenie," a person who is impossibly and consistently upbeat, in love with the world and everyone in it.

If you stumble across the book, grab it. It's wonderful. ( )
  Lauralicious | May 5, 2014 |
Another great book by Corrigan. This is the story of her and her father's cancer scares. Not really scares, it happened, to the both of them, which I guess is pretty scary. Full of stories about Greenie, her father, it was both funny and sad...you laughed, you cried, blah, blah, blah. Can't wait for my mom to read it. ( )
  campingmomma | Dec 19, 2013 |
The way she speaks of her Father, her boundless and obvious admiration of him, is alone a reason to read this book. ( )
  tealightful | Sep 24, 2013 |

At 36, Kelly had a good marriage, a couple of kids, and a weekly newspaper column. But she still saw herself as George Corrigan's daughter. A garrulous Irish-American charmer from Baltimore, George was the center of the ebullient, raucous Corrigan clan. Kelly's was a colorful childhood, just the sort a girl could get attached to. She lives deep within what she calls the Middle Place--"that sliver of time when parenthood and childhood overlap"--but she's abruptly shoved into a coming-of-age when she finds a lump in her breast. And so her journey to full-blown adulthood begins. When George, too, learns he has late-stage cancer, it is Kelly's turn to take care of the man who had always taken care of her--and show us a woman as she finally takes the leap and grows up.--From publisher description.… (more)

Hyperion and Voice

An edition of this book was published by Hyperion and Voice.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,942,363 books! | Top bar: Always visible