The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan

The Middle Place (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Kelly Corrigan

Member:MegAPow
Title:The Middle Place
Authors:Kelly Corrigan
Info:Voice (2008), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 272 pages
Tags:Cancer, Breast cancer, motherhood

The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan (2008)

I listened to the audio version and while I was listening I thought it was an okay story. I rarely give anything less than 3 stars which makes my decision to give 2 stars to this book a bit challenging. Classified as a memoir it is the story of a woman who claims to be caught in the "middle place", a place where we are adults caring for our own children while attempting to manage our aging parent's health. The twist in this tale is that both the author and her Dad end up battling cancer at the the same time. I felt for the author as I have been in that "middle place" and it is not an easy place to be. The author enjoyed a special relationship with her Dad and while it was wonderful seeing how they loved each other it was clear she still enjoyed being the "child". Growing up is not an easy task but eventually we all should do it. If the reader can get past that self indulgent attitude it might be a good book for you. ( )
  bostonterrio | Nov 21, 2017 |
Newspaper columnist Corrigan was a happily married mother of two young daughters when she discovered a cancerous lump in her breast. She was still undergoing treatment when she learned that her beloved father, who'd already survived prostate cancer, now had bladder cancer. Corrigan's story could have been unbearably depressing had she not made it clear from the start that she came from sturdy stock. Growing up, she loved hearing her father boom out his morning HELLO WORLD dialogue with the universe, so his kids would feel like the world wasn't just a safe place but was even rooting for you. As Corrigan reports on her cancer treatment?the chemo, the surgery, the radiation?she weaves in the story of how it felt growing up in a big, suburban Philadelphia family with her larger-than-life father and her steady-loving mother and brothers. She tells how she met her husband, how she gave birth to her daughters. All these stories lead up to where she is now, in that middle place, being someone's child, but also having children of her own. Those learning to accept their own adulthood might find strength?and humor?in Corrigan's feisty memoir.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
I'd recommend skipping this one. It gets 2 stars from me for the writing style and wit but frankly I wish I hadn't wasted my time. Everything I would have said has already been said by other 2 star reviewers. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Some books are meant to be read by certain populations. This was one of them. Corrigan is a breast cancer "survivor" who feels the need to talk to her dad about everything and control his life and cancer treatments but who gets mad when her husband calls his parents. The chapters flit between present day and her early years. There is really no connection between the two, almost like she threw the stories in to so you would know her background. She was half whiny and half "I am woman hear me roar." She did not give you the chance to be interested in life as it was all me, me, me. I hate that in real life and even more in books! ( )
  Lisa_Boys | Feb 8, 2016 |
I kind of felt like the blurb on the back of this book was misleading. the story started out being about Kelly and her cancer diagnosis, but by the middle of the book, focus shifted to her father's parallel cancer diagnosis, and I had a harder time with it.

I get that Kelly is close with her father, and has a special bond with him. and I can't even imagine losing one of my parents, to cancer or anything else. However, her unfailing support and love of Greenie in comparison to how harsh she acts towards her mother and even her husband at times really grated on me. I do acknowledge that her reactions and attitude were realistic, and I appreciated her honesty. I just had some issues with where the book went, since I had expected it to really focus more on her illness and the treatment of it.

overall, the book was okay, just not quite what I expected it to be. ( )
  klack128 | Oct 11, 2015 |

At 36, Kelly had a good marriage, a couple of kids, and a weekly newspaper column. But she still saw herself as George Corrigan's daughter. A garrulous Irish-American charmer from Baltimore, George was the center of the ebullient, raucous Corrigan clan. Kelly's was a colorful childhood, just the sort a girl could get attached to. She lives deep within what she calls the Middle Place--"that sliver of time when parenthood and childhood overlap"--but she's abruptly shoved into a coming-of-age when she finds a lump in her breast. And so her journey to full-blown adulthood begins. When George, too, learns he has late-stage cancer, it is Kelly's turn to take care of the man who had always taken care of her--and show us a woman as she finally takes the leap and grows up.--From publisher description.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,276,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible