Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

When her father commands that she produce an heir, the huntress Atalanta gives her suitors a seemingly impossible task in order to uphold her pledge of chastity, as the gods of ancient Greece look on.

Great retelling of the Atalanta myth. I was charmed and read it in one sitting. Atalanta is a wonderful character, a wild huntress but also an earnest girl who wants to do the right thing. Spinner does a nice job in bringing an ancient arcadia to earthy life, but still leaving it feeling mythical. I loved the unexpected but very appropriate ending. Gotta watch out for those Greek gods. They're always causing trouble. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
This book tells the story of Atalanta. Atalanta was left on a mountain to die by her father for being a girl. Artemis sent a bear to nurse the baby girl and a group of hunters found her and raised her. She grows up to become an amazing archer and one of the fastest mortals alive if not the fastest. When the king (her father) begins to die he makes Atalanta return to the palace and demands she marry. Afraid of breaking her vow to Artemis and angering the goddess she says she will only marry someone who can beat her in a foot race and those that lose to her must die. She desperately hopes that no one will be fool hardy enough to take the wager. Unfortunately she is wrong.

I really liked Atalanta and felt sorry for her for most of the book. She really just wants to be left alone but the Greek Gods continue to interfere in her life making things more and more difficult for her. She is a likable character and I enjoyed reading about her.

I thought the author notes at the end were very helpful explaining both the gods and the various versions of Atalanta's story. ( )

For Megan Parry Brill
When I was an infant, abandoned in the forest, Artemis the Huntress sent a she-bear to nurse me.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,615,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible