Quiver by Stephanie Spinner

This book tells the story of Atalanta. Atalanta was left on a mountain to die by her father for being a girl. Artemis sent a bear to nurse the baby girl and a group of hunters found her and raised her. She grows up to become an amazing archer and one of the fastest mortals alive if not the fastest. When the king (her father) begins to die he makes Atalanta return to the palace and demands she marry. Afraid of breaking her vow to Artemis and angering the goddess she says she will only marry someone who can beat her in a foot race and those that lose to her must die. She desperately hopes that no one will be fool hardy enough to take the wager. Unfortunately she is wrong.

I really liked Atalanta and felt sorry for her for most of the book. She really just wants to be left alone but the Greek Gods continue to interfere in her life making things more and more difficult for her. She is a likable character and I enjoyed reading about her.

I thought the author notes at the end were very helpful explaining both the gods and the various versions of Atalanta's story. ( )

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |
This is a simply written book, not complex or overly descriptive. It is well told, if a bit sparsely. I was undecided on whether I liked it or not, right up until the very end. I found that, while short and not overly developed, I loved the romance, and did not at all think it went too fast, despite the fact that it WAS a very fast romance, if you know what I'm trying to say.
The plot wasn't too deep or complex. Pretty much, if you know the myth, you know whats going to happen. Its simply telling the already known story in a more detailed, sympathetic format. I liked the author's version of Atalanta, and I loved Hipomenes(I can't remember how to spell his name, so that might be incorrect.) Atalanta's father didn't seem to be very well developed, and only served to further the story, which I didn't really mind. The conversations between the gods could have been written better, but aside from that, I can't find too many faults in this book.
Personally, I didn't like the ending. At all. But thats hardly the author's fault, as she was only following the myth to completion. ( )
  Mortumi | May 21, 2012 |
For Megan Parry Brill
When I was an infant, abandoned in the forest, Artemis the Huntress sent a she-bear to nurse me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440238196, Mass Market Paperback)

Greek gods and mortals spring to life in this riveting retelling of the myth of Atalanta, the fleet-footed girl warrior who could outrun any man in ancient Greece.
Cast off and abandoned at birth, Atalanta– saved by a she-bear and raised by hunters–proves herself to be a superior archer and the fastest runner in the land. But her skills and independence anger many, including her father, the Arcadian King, who suddenly reclaims her and demands that she produce an heir to the throne. Atalanta has pledged herself to Artemis, goddess of the hunt, who has forbidden her to marry. Unwilling to break her promise, Atalanta suggests a grim compromise: she will marry the first man to beat her in a race, but everyone she defeats must die. All the while, Artemis, Apollo, Aphrodite, Eros, and Zeus himself watch–and interfere–from on high.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:20 -0400)

When her father commands that she produce an heir, the huntress Atalanta gives her suitors a seemingly impossible task in order to uphold her pledge of chastity, as the gods of ancient Greece look on.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,120,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible