Rebel Angels by Libba Bray

Rebel Angels (2008)

by Libba Bray

Series: Gemma Doyle (2)

Recently added byschatzi, kollarnunez, ku., private library, NineLarks, rainbowbrains, jeweled_weevil
    The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: The third and final book in the Gemma Doyle Trilogy.
    The Diviners by Libba Bray (literarybuff)
    literarybuff: Another historical fiction novel by Libba Bray with a likable female character and the supernatural

Good not great. Seemed like Bray tried a bit too hard to create a complex plot, but then couldn't wrap it up efficiently. Still, if you liked the first one, you'll definitely enjoy this sequel. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 9, 2014 |
I really loved this book, strange considering I read five other books whilst I was officially reading this. I was about a quarter through for two weeks and I just picked it up one night and read about half the entire book. The next night I was finished. This for some reason seems to be my pattern with large books that I have been planning to read for a while.

My opinion is that this book is better than the first and it remains to be seen whether I like it better than the third. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
In this second installment in the Gemma Doyle trilogy, Gemma must try to bring order to the chaos she created at the end of the first book when she destroyed the runes of power. Now the magic has been released into the realms, controlled by none and coveted by all. Although Gemma defeated Circe's assassin, Circe is still on her quest for vengeance and power, and now Gemma has others to contend with who also want their share, including the mysterious Rakshana. With Felicity and Ann, whose deepest secrets are revealed, Gemma must restore order to the realms and figure out who she can really trust. She also learns some hard lessons about letting go and not being deceived by appearances. Once her decision is made and the magic has been bound, Gemma discovers that it's only the beginning of the real war to come.

I think this second book in the series is even better than the first one. Gemma has learned a few things and matured a bit, although not nearly enough. It's easy sometimes to forget that she is only 16 and is still dealing with everything that a normal teen-aged girl would be dealing with in addition to the whole magical power struggle thing. She wants to be liked and is sometimes way too easily led astray. I appreciate the humor that Bray has kept in Gemma's character. It's interesting that books get longer--the first was 300+ pages, this second one is 500+ pages, and the third one is over 800 pages. I'm getting ready to launch into that one in just a bit. This second book read pretty quickly for over 500 pages, so I'm hoping that 800 pages go by quickly, too! I think that once it's over I will hate to leave Spence behind. ( )
  arbjames | Jan 12, 2014 |
This story got a bit too convoluted for me. And as with the first, I struggled with the voice. It sounded like a modern girl time-traveled back to Victorian England.

Libba Bray herself is hilarious, and I really think she should stick with that strength. These books don't sparkle like her humor does. ( )
  shellwitte | Dec 11, 2013 |
Gemma Doyle and her friends return to a winter wonderland. Christmas is coming and everyone gets ready to spend the holidays out of school. But not everything goes good for Gemma and her friends. Love, Magic, and Dreams interrupts anything the girls wish to accomplish to stay alive. Get ready because a never ending twist comes your way.

Rebel Angels by Libba Bray is the second book in the Great And Terrible Beauty series. Just like in the first book twist and turns changed the minds of those who read. You will never see the ending coming. Gemma tries and saves the lives of those in which she cares for. Going back to a place they believe to be happy but it can also be a place of death. They all much watch their backs. The surprise will always shock the minds of those who read.

Once again Gemma Doyle shows her strength. I admire how strong she stays when things go wrong. She fights for whats right and never gives up. This book is so amazing I never wanted to put it down. If I had a choice I would spend all day reading the mysteries of Gemma’s day’s in the world. The author helps with my love for this book. She makes everything pop out as if it was really happening. The characters come alive. You feel as if you live life in the story live life with Gemma Doyle. The settings come to life. The entire story is a wonderful experience to journey through.

I loved this book so much because Libba Bray made the story exciting and alive. She makes the story stick in my mind. No book can beat the wonders of this book. The emotions draws you in. I recommend buying this book right now. If you enjoyed the first book, I have no doubt that you’ll love the second one even more.
The first book was great and made my top ten favorite book list, but this book beats it by a lot. I hope you go out and buy this book you won’t be disappointed.
  br14hewo | Nov 14, 2013 |

Libba Brayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bailey, JosephineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
All that we see or seem / Is but a dream within a dream. --Edgar Allan Poe
Who first seduc'd them to that foul revolt? Th' infernal Serpent; he it was, whose guile Stir'd up with Envy and Revenge, deceiv'd The Mother of Mankinde, what time his Pride Had cast him out from Heav'n, with all his Host of Rebel Angels, by whose aid aspiring To set himself in Glory above his Peers, He trusted to have equal'd the most High, If he oppos'd; and with ambitious aim Against the Throne and Monarchy of God Rais'd impious War in heav'n and Battel proud With vain attempt. Him the almighty Power Hurl'd headlong flaming from th' Ethereal Skie With hideous ruine and combustion down To bottomless perdition, there to dwell... O Prince, O Chief of many Throned Powers, That led th' imbattell'd Seraphim to Warr Under thy conduct, and in dreadful deeds Fearless, endanger'd Heav'n's perpetual King; And put to proof his high Supremacy, Whether upheld by strength, or Chance, or Fate, Too well I see and rue the dire event, That with sad overthrow and foul defeat Hath lost us Heav'n, and all this might Host In horrible destruction laid thus low, As far as Gods and Heav'nly Essences Can Perish: for the mind and spirit remains Invincible, and vigour soon returns, Though all our Glory extinct, and happy state Here swallow'd up in endless misery.... To reign is worth ambition though in Hell: Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n. But wherefore let we then our faithful friends, Th' associates and copartners of our loss Lye thus astonisht on th' oblivious Pool, And call them not to share with us their part In this unhappy Mansion, or once more With rallied Arms to try what may be yet Regain'd in Heav'n, or what more lost in Hell? --John Milton, Paradise Lost, Book 1
For Barry and Josh, of course
And for my much loved friends, proof that we somehow manage to find our own tribe

Herein lies the faithful and true account of my last sixty days, by Kartik, brother of Amar, loyal son of the Rakshana, and of the strange visitation I received that has left me wary on this cold English night.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385733410, Paperback)

In this sequel to the Victorian fantasy A Great and Terrible Beauty, Gemma continues to pursue her role as the one destined to bind the magic of the Realms and restore it to the Order--a mysterious group who have been overthrown by a rebellion. Gemma, Felicity and Ann, (her girlfriends at Spence Academy for Young Ladies), use magical power to transport themselves on visits from their corseted world to the visionary country of the Realms, with its strange beauty and menace. There they search for the lost Temple, the key to Gemma's mission, and comfort Pippa, their friend who has been left behind in the Realms. After these visits they bring back magical power for a short time to use in their own world. Meanwhile, Gemma is torn between her attraction to the exotic Kartik, the messenger from the opposing forces of the Rakshana, and the handsome but clueless Simon, a young man of good family who is courting her. The complicated plot thickens when Gemma discovers a woman in Bedlam madhouse who knows where to find the Temple; Ann shows signs of being enamored of Gemma's loutish brother Tom, and their father's addiction to laudanum lands him in an opium den. A large part of the enjoyment of this unusual fantasy comes from the Victorian milieu and its restrictive rules about the behavior of proper young ladies, as contrasted with the unimaginable possibilities of the Realms, where Gemma has power to confront gorgons and ghosts and the responsibility to save a world. (Ages 12 and up) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:18 -0400)

Gemma and her friends from the Spence Academy return to the realms to defeat her foe, Circe, and to bind the magic that has been released.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,776,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible