The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision…

The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for Your Child

by Robert Sears

I didn't know anything about vaccines until I picked up this book. I read a little bit online here in there and was decidedly anti vaccination. And then somebody on a birth board suggested that I check this book out. I'm glad I did. I had no idea what was in vaccines. I had no idea what they were treating and what the side effects were or anything else. Dr. Sears really got into detail with this. I'm using this book with other books on this topic as it helped me decide on what I'll do as far as vaccinations for my child. ( )
  nattso78 | Mar 11, 2015 |
To vaccinate or not to vaccinate... that is the hotly debated question. Unfortunately is is a very difficult one to make a decision about due to the absolute polarity of all information. No source even tries to be unbiased. The two camps are very much at war making any material so tainted as to be useless.

Dr Sears has set about to create, as much as possible, an unbiased look at vaccinations. He does not answer the 'should you or should you not' question. Instead he looks at each vaccination in turn and discusses its purpose, pros and cons.

Ultimately I get the impression that he is advocating that parents review the data and selectively vaccinate, though he takes great pains not to cross into either the pro or anti vaccination camps.

Although this book is written for Americans (and Australia is not nessecarily the same), I still think this is compulsory reading for anyone serious about making an informed decision for themselves. ( )
  alsocass | Oct 12, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book. Very informative and made me feel a lot more comfortable with my decisions about vaccinating my baby. ( )
  Zura27 | May 7, 2013 |
informative and not overly biased either way. pretty comprehensive, although already outdated. still want info from our pediatrician, but very very helpful. ( )
  elisa.saphier | Apr 2, 2013 |
The closest thing to a balanced view of vaccinations that I've found. Bob Sears goes through the vaccines one by one, and brand by brand, finds all of the research that is out there, and delivers it in a mostly unbiased way. He clearly supports vaccinating children, but admits that there are some unanswered questions that might give parents pause and explores the limits of the research we currently have available. He is respectful of parents' concerns and also of their role as the ultimate decision-makers for their children.

Before reading this book, I was afraid to vaccinate my second child at all, even though I believed it was important from a public health standpoint. This book helped me to design a schedule that met my need for the safety of my individual children and my need to participate in the health of our larger society. And it helped me to approach my doctor with confidence when presenting my schedule and my reasoning behind it. I'm not the type of person who'll ever feel 100% confident I've made the right choices, but I feel one heck of a lot more comfortable with my decisions this time around than when I was flying blind with my first child and her vaccinations. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Dec 31, 2012 |

When you're considering what vaccinations are right for your child and when to administer them, there's a lot to think about. With twelve separate vaccines on the standard vacciniations schedule, you havve twelve separate choices to make. And with so much conflicting information available today, these decisions can seem overwhelming. Dr. Bob Sears offers help. In this first-ever, authoritative, open-minded guide to childhood vaccinations, he provides an in-depth look at each disease/vaccine pair and covers everything you need to know.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,559,657 books! | Top bar: Always visible