The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint

The Blue Girl (2004)

by Charles de Lint

Recently added byprivate library, LierinM, Tityger, Asra91, CP_High, cdrive, ctkateri, bookisheyre, eurafalsky, ngb52591

YA but still enjoyable. I liked it as an adult, but I think I would have LOVED it as a preteen or teen. I'm passing it on to my daughter to read. The characters really make the book. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
Seventeen-year-old Imogene's tough, rebellious nature has caused her more harm than good—so when her family moves to Newford, she decides to reinvent herself. She won't lose her punk/thrift-shop look, but she'll try to avoid the gangs, work a little harder at school, and maybe even stay out of trouble for a change. Her first friend at Redding High, Maxine, is her exact opposite. Everyone considers Maxine a straight-A loser, but as Imogene soon learns, it's really Maxine's overprotective mother whose rules about clothes and curfews make it impossible for her to speak up for her true self. Oddly, the friendship works. Imogene helps Maxine loosen up and break a few rules, and in turn, Maxine keeps Imogene in line. But trouble shows up anyway. Imogene quickly catches the eye of Redding's A-list bullies, as well as the school's resident teenage ghost. Then she gets on the wrong side of a gang of malicious fairies. When her old imaginary childhood friend Pelly actually manifests, Imogene realises that the impossible is all too real. And it's dangerous. If she wants to survive high school—not to mention stay alive—she has to fall back on the skills she picked up in her hometown, running with a gang. Even with Maxine and some unexpected allies by her side, will she be able to make it?
  bostonwendym | Mar 3, 2016 |
I loved this book! I'm now hooked on Charles de Lint as an author and urban fiction as a genre. Both are new to me. I guess The Blue Girl is unique among his books because it is considered YA fiction. Most of his other books are listed as Adult. ( )
  zuzamiller | Feb 3, 2016 |
I was expecting more from The Blue Girl, my first Charles de Lint read. It was overall a fun read but I didn't like the way things seem to have been resolved relatively quickly at the end. I wasn't really into the way the book is told from the perspectives of the three characters either. I think I might have picked the wrong Charles de Lint book to start with. ( )
  RealLifeReading | Jan 19, 2016 |
It was good, but not his best. ( )
  Karyn_Ainsworth | Dec 29, 2014 |
If I can dream
of waking in a dream,
how can I tell
I'm not dreaming now?
—Saskia Madding,
from "Thinking After Midnight"
(Spirits and Ghosts, 2000)
For my nieces, Cassie, Jaz, & Kmore

with special thanks for astute aditorial advice to Julie Bartel, Sharyn November, and my dear wife MaryAnn
It starts with this faint sound that pulls me out of sleep: a sort of calliope music played on an ensemble of toy instruments.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142405450, Paperback)

Imogene Yeck, former gang member and current fairy butt-kicker, is the cool "blue girl" at the center of Charles de Lint's latest urban fantasy novel. Seventeen-year-old Imogene jumps at the chance to lose her bad girl reputation when her family moves to a new town. She purposely lays low at Redding High, only making friends with Maxine, a shy, studious girl who is Imogene's opposite in every way. Despite a few run-ins with the ruling football jock and his cheerleader girlfriend, Imogene keeps her temper in check and even lends some of her bravado to Maxine, who begins to come out of her straight-A shell. Things are going well for the new friends--until the day Imogene meets Adrian, the benign ghost of a boy who died in the school's parking lot. Adrian and Imogene's unusual connection attracts the unwelcome attention of Redding High's resident Little People, or fairies. Affronted by streetwise Imogene's lack of belief in them, the fairies set into motion a malevolent prank that will not only turn Imogene completely blue from head to toe, but pit her, Adrian and Maxine against some of the most frightening beings of the Otherworld--the soul-sucking Anamithims. de Lint's Blue Girl reads like a really well-executed episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer--smart and thought provoking, without taking itself too seriously. Although the action builds slowly, the final scene, involving a bucket of blue paint, a knife fight, and green monster blood, is absolutely worth it. Buffy fans who enjoy meeting Imogene and Co. will also want to check out Holly Black's dark fairy tale, Tithe, and Nina Kiriki Hoffman's modern ghost story, A Stir of Bones --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:33 -0400)

New at her high school, Imogene enlists the help of her introverted friend Maxine and the ghost of a boy who haunts the school after receiving warnings through her dreams that soul-eaters are threatening her life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,887,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible